Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 6 V Demons

I think it should be noted with Mitchell too that he hasn't played at the top level a while lot the past 12 months , he will only improve with more game time. I find it absurd people can't recall how good his best football is, remember Those first few games, especially Those beautiful Lighting quick handballs to advantage. He's certainly got areas to work on, and he'll always be slow paced, but give him a chance. You don't just forget how to play footy

Changes for Round 6 V Demons

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    I noticed that too Big Cat.. Mitchell got 30 possessions but some of his decision making is not that good. Did not see him lay too many tackles either. Poor Goodes days look over. Still got some good offensive moves but his defensive work is pretty ordinary.
    We seem very quick to criticise this young man after heroics in the wet that would have put many of his playing group to shame. He and Hanaberry kept us in the game via their clearance work and whilst many of his kicks went wide, his sure hands and elite handball made many opportunities for the outside run.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus26 View Post
    I forgot Heeney! Of course he should be back in. At whose expense? Now that's a hard one!
    Well, the media are portraying this week's selection issues as "Goodes vs Heeney".

Sydney Swans selection showdown looming between Adam Goodes and Isaac Heeney

Reid was missed in the clutch last week.

In: Reid, Heeney
    Out: Towers, Cunningham

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it feels like we are not rotating our midfielders (Kennedy, Parker, Hanners, Jack etc.) through the forward line as much? Part of what made us so strong in 2012 was the ability for these guys to go forward and kick goals. Obviously things have changed with Tippo and Buddy up front, but guys like Towers and BJ just haven't offered enough as more permanent "small forwards" to be keeping players like Mitchell out of the side.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeynez View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it feels like we are not rotating our midfielders (Kennedy, Parker, Hanners, Jack etc.) through the forward line as much? Part of what made us so strong in 2012 was the ability for these guys to go forward and kick goals. Obviously things have changed with Tippo and Buddy up front, but guys like Towers and BJ just haven't offered enough as more permanent "small forwards" to be keeping players like Mitchell out of the side.
    I think this point has some merit to it, not only would it give our forward line flexibility but it would also change things up in the midfield. We seem to have become very predictable so it would be good to see some guys like Mitchell, Heeney, Rohan and even Rampe playing some more midfield minutes. As brilliant as Hanners has been in and under as well as outside this year I still think he is at his most damaging playing on a wing. His kicking efficiency has been down this year but only because so much of his ball has been contested. Given time and space (which he finds plenty of because he is such an elite runner) he is a damaging kick (see 2012 grand-final).
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by frankee View Post
    Reid was missed in the clutch last week.

In: Reid, Heeney
    Out: Towers, Cunningham
    Sounds about right.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I think it should be noted with Mitchell too that he hasn't played at the top level a while lot the past 12 months , he will only improve with more game time. I find it absurd people can't recall how good his best football is, remember Those first few games, especially Those beautiful Lighting quick handballs to advantage. He's certainly got areas to work on, and he'll always be slow paced, but give him a chance. You don't just forget how to play footy
    Greg Williams was a very slow paced midfielder who had great hands but not great penetration by foot. I doubt Mitchell will lose his spot from now on. Parker is a slow midfielder but few on here would be prepared to bag him.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    No it's not, what did Towers contribute?

I pose the question, would Towers or Laidler be getting games at Hawthorn? I reckon not, so weak links.
    Laidler is our Matt Spangher minus the cult status, so in when there is no other option. Towers gives us nothing.

Laidler was very good in a defence that wasn't always that good on the weekend. He had plenty of it, he was clean and his disposals were good.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Laidler was very good in a defence that wasn't always that good on the weekend. He had plenty of it, he was clean and his disposals were good.
    I think some previous comparisons of laidler to mattner are pretty reasonable. Solid down back. Like an anchor. I'm for laidler at the moment. We need this anchor he is providing. Plus he has always been a very good intercept mark

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

I think Laidler played alright. He seems to enjoy wet conditions - I remember one of his better games last year being in similar conditions.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast