Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Booing of Adam Goodes by fans of Melbourne clubs

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    I really do think that much of the angst towards Adam comes from his stand, as AOY, in regard to Australia Day, and his statement that he, along with some of the more militant Aboriginals, regards it as Invasion Day, etc. This kind of statement seems to 'highly offend' certain sections of our community. At the time I thought it a bit brave, foolhardy, maybe undiplomatic of him but now I understand that he just says what he believes. He is not afraid to confront us with the uncomfortable. I think he will continue to be booed, and 'disliked', because as has been said by lots of other commentators, he is an Indigenous player in a position to speak out and many don't like him challenging racist attitudes when he has the opportunity. Posters on RWO have said as much. If only he would be like Cyril or Buddy and just play football, people would love and esteem him!

Adam has chosen the pathway of 'representing' his people and in doing so draws attention to Indigenous issues. What is happening now is the price he is having to pay. No doubt he will continue to make his stand, regardless of what the long term outcome is. Hopefully the tide will turn by the end of the season and his supporters will far out-weigh his detractors. Personally, I want to cheer him on.
    I can fully comprehend how someone that is Aboriginal may perceive January 26 to be invasion day. I wish we would move our national day to 1 January, which would be more reflective of when Australia actually became a nation, note the date of the landing of the first fleet into NSW.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Adam Goodes' AOTY acceptance speech was extremely mild and conciliatory (you tube link below). As far as I am aware Adam never referred to Australia Day as Invasion Day,, although Bolt and Devine and now many others claim that he did. On the contrary the following was reported in The Age after his award was announced:
    "Australian of the Year Adam Goodes said on Sunday he had adopted Survival Day, as opposed to Invasion Day to place a positive focus on those aspects of indigenous culture that survived the trauma of European settlement."

The irony is that several much more activist Aboriginal leaders, who do refer to Invasion Day, criticised Goodes' award precisely because Adam is not as strident in his words as they would prefer.
    It's a difficult journey Adam is walking. I admire him greatly.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/su...126-31gvj.html

Adam Goodes - Australian of the Year 2014 Acceptance Speech - YouTube

Opti-pessi-misti
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Adam Goodes' AOTY acceptance speech was extremely mild and conciliatory (you tube link below). As far as I am aware Adam never referred to Australia Day as Invasion Day,, although Bolt and Devine and now many others claim that he did. On the contrary the following was reported in The Age after his award was announced:
    "Australian of the Year Adam Goodes said on Sunday he had adopted Survival Day, as opposed to Invasion Day to place a positive focus on those aspects of indigenous culture that survived the trauma of European settlement."

The irony is that several much more activist Aboriginal leaders, who do refer to Invasion Day, criticised Goodes' award precisely because Adam is not as strident in his words as they would prefer.

Survival Day seeks a positive focus on Australia Day

Thanks Meg. Apologies to all for not checking the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

Survival Day seeks a positive focus on Australia Day

Yes, Meg, and in a similar manner of misrepresentation, Bolt claimed that Adam's war dance was a declaration of war on white Australians.

Just watched North Melbourne plea to fans , why aren't there more people who actually think in life ! Australians are becoming a cheap Americans with herd mentality !

Any Notth fans who boo will not be welcome in their midst ... The leaders have made their stand . It's certainly a step in the right direction ...

Blog Entries

Senior Player
    While we're calling for Goodes to not be booed, we need to make sure we're not booing Thomas and/or Boomer lest we be seen as hypocrites.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    While we're calling for Goodes to not be booed, we need to make sure we're not booing Thomas and/or Boomer lest we be seen as hypocrites.
    And (yes this sounds odd I know) cheering Ziebell for taking a stand.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Might have to reconsider my view of Norf if they pull this off.

Adam had been awarded an honorary doctorate by UNSW for his community work. Gave the speech at a Law graduation.
    UNSW Law (@UNSWLaw) | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by cherub View Post
    Adam had been awarded an honorary doctorate by UNSW for his community work. Gave the speech at a Law graduation.
    UNSW Law (@UNSWLaw) | Twitter
    Still wearing red and white I see. Is that the colour any honorary doctorate recipient wears or is that Adam's choice?