Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 9 V Carlton.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    David King basically said that he can do whatever he wants but if he does things like that he deserves to be booed...mind boggling stuff
    Certainly he deserves to be booed. Those people in the crowd travelled interstate to watch Carlton - have some compassion Adam! :-)

Seriously though, I'm don't think he deserves to be booed, but he can certainly *expect* to be booed, just like any player who goes and gives it to the opposition fans after kicking a goal. Personally, I loved it - a bit of to-and-fro with the crowd adds some theatre to the game and I don't think Adam was too serious about it. Plus, it looked cool - a great piece of dance.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Yeah that's right the silly blackfella should just be quiet and be happy that we let him play our game. Stop being so 'politically correct' Adam - if us whitefellas reckon you're getting a bit too uppity, just smile and say 'yes boss' and stick to running around on the footy field - that's what entertains us. You sticking your neck out and getting all precious when we call you names is not in the script. Not even in the indigenous round please - we have that so you can wear a pretty jumper and us white folk can tell the world we've reconciled and everything is fine now. Stop drawing attention to yourself and stop being a hero and take it all lying down like you're supposed to.
    ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodthirsty View Post
    Didn't win by enough. Hawks or Freo would've been up by 100pts at half time. I know, I know.....marathon not a race etc etc. There was nothing clinical the way there should have been.

How does a premiership contender lose clearances to that Blues midfield? Can't believe it. Not trying or real problems?

Re Goodes. Always liked Goodes, but for me his antics, comments and reactions over the last couple of years are increasingly becoming a little too "me me me". I don't see anyone else constantly pontificating about issue A, B and C or drawing as much attention to himself and away from the team. Not even Lance Franklin. Across the industry, footballers are confusing themselves with moral compasses lately. It is somehow seen as heroic to spout 'politically correct' slogans ad nauseum all day. Goodes is talented enough to let his football do the talking and he can do what he wants in his own time. He is in the best 22 currently with his form (just) and I hope he stays there. As I am trying to be objective, I can see why some people are getting annoyed though. The media will of course beat it up, but Goodes made an undisciplined decision to do that. Every opposition supporter will now know how to get under his skin. Not a smart thing to do, probably why he gave Richo that story. But probably a rush of blood that other can't understand unless they were in his shoes. It's all fickle at the end of the day, from all angles.
    Wow, just wow.......

so your suggesting he made up the story to tell richo to cover his own tracks? He must be pretty dumb to do so, given the story he made up is surely fairly easy to either prove to be true or prove not to be true....

Good on goodesy for standing up for what he believes in. So in your book, he should just play footy and have no aspirations at all to achieve better outcomes for his fellow Aboriginal australians?
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I think this talk of percentage is misguided. I really don't care about percentage and I don't think Longmire or the other coaches would either.

What's more important is that we play as well as we can. From Longmire's comments it's pretty clear that we were a bit off our benchmark and still have a fair bit to work on. I don't think he would have expected the same intensity as last week, but the skill and judgement errors are still a problem, not to mention our stoppages.

Yeah that's right the silly blackfella should just be quiet and be happy that we let him play our game. Stop being so 'politically correct' Adam - if us whitefellas reckon you're getting a bit too uppity, just smile and say 'yes boss' and stick to running around on the footy field - that's what entertains us. You sticking your neck out and getting all precious when we call you names is not in the script. Not even in the indigenous round please - we have that so you can wear a pretty jumper and us white folk can tell the world we've reconciled and everything is fine now. Stop drawing attention to yourself and stop being a hero and take it all lying down like you're supposed to.
    +1 to this as a response to that ridiculous previous post.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Wow, just wow.......

so your suggesting he made up the story to tell richo to cover his own tracks? He must be pretty dumb to do so, given the story he made up is surely fairly easy to either prove to be true or prove not to be true....

Good on goodesy for standing up for what he believes in. So in your book, he should just play footy and have no aspirations at all to achieve better outcomes for his fellow Aboriginal australians?
    No, I think you are misrepresenting him. It is OK for Goodes to stand up for what he believes in, but not on HIS time when he is enjoying watching the football.

The interesting thing here is that it isnt me who is racist, it is always the other person so why should I have my footy viewing interrupted by this?

I have absolutely NO idea how an aboriginal (player or not) must feel to encounter racism (both passive and active) in every sphere of life and therefore I can only speculate as to what my response would be if I was in their shoes. To Adam Goodes and others who draw attention to this I have the utmost respect because it also reminds me of the many passive forms of racism that have become a part of my life and to which I strive to isolate and eliminate. I will probably never rid myself of all of them but I am trying to and, with God's help, maybe at the end of my days I may see the inprovement I have made.

When Adam did the dance last night I cheered and laughed. Adam - once again you have cemented yourself as one of my heroes and a man who transcends other kickers of pigskin.

Anyway, away from the dance highlights and back on the play, a bit + to Lewis Jetta who ran and ran and ran and ran last night, not tearing up with the ball in hand but to pressure Blues players. I loved his slingshot period, but I'm admiring how much he is putting into the game at the moment.

Just noticed he got 2nd in the best, well earnt, I usually can't pick who best (7 goal Buddy apart) when I'm at a game, but this performance stood out.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    Anyway, away from the dance highlights and back on the play, a bit + to Lewis Jetta who ran and ran and ran and ran last night, not tearing up with the ball in hand but to pressure Blues players. I loved his slingshot period, but I'm admiring how much he is putting into the game at the moment.
    I love how effortlessly Jetta gets ball to boot. It's all one beautiful, fluid movement, sometimes languid, sometimes punchy, and he generally makes great connection too.

Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    Jetta has had a really good last month, and a pretty good season so far. I feel so much more comfortable when in tight situations the ball ends up with Jetta or mcveigh, because more often than not, their cool and calm approach helps us get out of trouble and they often use the ball well and to our advantage.

Funny how 2 commentators can have different opinions about one player's performance in a game

Gary Lyon = Kurt should have had about 8 free kicks paid TO him for being held onto
    Wayne Carey = Kurt doesn't do enough and is overpaid

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Thanks Jono. The perfect reply. Continue to stick it up 'em Goodesy!!

Veterans List
    I'm so frustrated with our clearances. I don't know if it is a game plan but there seems to be more opposition players at the throw ins and ball ups. I just don't understand why we would want them to get first hands on the ball.

Like others I was hoping the winning margin would be more than 10 goals so we could catch up on percentage. However, some credit needs to be given to Carlton as their pressure was significantly higher compared to their last few games. I saw them live last week and they were atrocious. They only had 37 tackles whereas this week they had over 60.

With regards to the Goodes dance it is interesting (and saddening) listening to the various reactions and views. If anyone has access to the Herald Sun there are 2 really good articles written by Mark Robinson. He has raised a number of points that we have been discussing over the years.
    There was a comment by Barry Hall where he said there is something going on up in Sydney. What is that supposed to mean??

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast