Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 9 V Carlton.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It wasn't all that long ago when aboriginal players were regularly vilified by fans and other players alike. Thanks to the pioneering stance led by Michael Long and Nicky Winmar our awareness of racism has been raised to the fore of public discussion and much improvement has been made. Now players of all races and ethnicities can play football without being subjected to racial taunts, at least most of the time. But clearly racism is still widespread in the community and incidents or racial vilification persist.

Adam Goodes has taken the mantle to continue the fight against institutional and casual racism. It is a worthy cause. We need people like Adam to make sure that the issue is not swept under the carpet and we don't revert to the way things were when Adam began his football career. He's clearing the path for young aboriginal players to enter the game without the fear and pain of racial vilification. Being confronting is part of the task. Some of the reaction to his goal celebration illustrates the lack of understanding of the challenges facing Indigenous Australians at every stage of life. If high profile celebrities don't lead the way in the making us aware of the issues, then who will?

It's the AFL's indigenous round and issues relating to indigenous players and the indigenous community are being aired. I think that's what is meant to happen.
    Fully agree with this - and Robbo. If you have a problem with what Goodes did, especially if you support the Swans and think he brings undue attention to the club, you may wish to reconsider your underlying issues with racial tolerance. I cheered and remain so proud that he is in the team I support. And I love the fact that Cyril has come out in strong support.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Fully agree with this - and Robbo. If you have a problem with what Goodes did, especially if you support the Swans and think he brings undue attention to the club, you may wish to reconsider your underlying issues with racial tolerance. I cheered and remain so proud that he is in the team I support. And I love the fact that Cyril has come out in strong support.
    Is there a link to Cyril?

It's OK - I've caught up!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Is there a link to Cyril?
    From Twitter:
    cyril.jpg
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Ok, let me get this straight. It's ok for indigenous dancers to showcase their culture in front of this woman and this man - but not in front of a crowd of Aussie rules football fans in a match during the AFL indigenous round?

queen-australia--z.jpg

pope-sydney-aborigi_746308c.jpg

It's amazing, isn't it. We are happy to showcase our indigenous heritage to foreigners, but when it comes to internal appreciations not so. It's obvious that the racism has been swept under the carpet and never properly addressed. The loonies on Foxfooty are perfect example of their passive (or even active) racism. I'm very disappointed that some of our Swans supporter on this forum belong into that category as well and it looks to me are proud of it.

Veterans List
    Great comment to Robbo about what would the reaction have been if Twitter had been around when Nicky Winmar made his statement? I expect Adam Goodes will be remembered - including his actions last night - when Eddie is dead and buried. And we can tell the kids we were there when it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    That's an optimistic way to start a match day thread!

No it won't be. Swans by 60 with the cue in the rack early.
    Ahem. Just wanted to refer y'all back to Page 1 of this thread. Give me a brief moment of kudos! :-)
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

He, he, you're allowed to have a celebration dance ala Adam.

Mark Robinsons article in the herald sun is very good too. He's supporting Goodsie all the way.

I hope Cyril & Burgoyne do a jig too!! I'm hoping most indigenous boys do it. Then we will see the selective reaction!

Veterans List
    Good to see Robinson get a full game rather than the horrid green vest. Showed he is up to seniors standard, albeit against a weak team but none the less looked at home on the big stage.

We really need to keep exposing fringe players in case of injuries and to test them at senior level. Hoping Robbo stays in for next weeks game too.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast