Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes - Round 13 vs Richmond

In his presser today Horse has pretty much said some other rucks will get a go later in the season and sooner in the case of injury. That could be a good opportunity for giving Naismith and Nankervis some AFL game time. Personally I would prefer to see those guys get game time than Derickx because they are the future (we hope) and Derickx is our back-up for the present and I suspect we will only call on him in case of injury. I note in particular the last two rounds H&A we play bottom 4 teams (Saints, Suns) and it remains to be seen what sort of a proposition the Giants are the round before that. Anyway, overall I have a fairly high degree of faith in our match committee's selections which I think their much greater knowledge of (a) the game and (b) what's going on behind the scenes entitles them to - along with their proven track record. You think they are not working around the clock on how we can lift our game enough to beat Hawthorn? I don't buy that they are thinking about winning the next game to the exclusion of all else. We all want to WIN FLAGS.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    It is regularly put forward that it is your bottom six compared to the opposition's bottom is what often decides finals. Not one indiviudal.
    Our 'unexpected' win in 2012 was never a better example of just that. Our bottom 6 of the time would include guys like Myke, AJ, LRT, Mr September (aka Mitch Morton), even Nick Smith at the time although I suspect not internally. They all had career games.

Hawthorns bottom 6 like Puopolo, Ellis/Savage, Smith, Young, Schoenmakers never got near it all day...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Goes up to 11
    Since signing Buddy our ruck stocks were always going to be our weak point. It looks like we are betting on Pykey to battle on like the pro he is whilst perhaps gettin a glimpse or two of one or two of the N's, neither of whom will be ready to really contribute for several more years.

So our game plan has adjusted accordingly. Yes it's a weakness but I ain't complaining with where we are at this point of the year.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I think one should consider the opposition's bottom with great reserve.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

How old is Pyke?

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    How old is Pyke?
    Turned 31 in March.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    No one is saying ignore the "ruck" problem, are they? Some are happier with the Devil they know, hoping he may find his best form, and others want to bring in a relatively untried reserve who has shown some promise. I am wanting to go down a different path and see TomD come in and play with some attitude.
    TomD did very little in the ressies a couple of weeks back against Eastlake - if it was me, he wouldn't even be in consideration unless Pyke is injured - whereas, I can see some reason for Nankervis or Naismith (who I think is the obvious ruckman going forward out of those currently on the list once Pyke is gone) playing in appropriate games later on in the season, to give Pyke a rest.

I can't believe we signed TomD till end of 2016 on the basis of a few reasonable efforts early on last season.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

Under your theory, it's never time to bring in a new player unless forced to due to injury. I fully agree that Richmond is no pushover and we will have to play at our best to win. My point about Pyke is that for some inexplicable reason he has lost his mojo, dropping marks, not kicking goals and continually giving away free kicks. Under current form, I don't see it as any big loss not having him in the side. I've been a big supporter of Mike over the years, but now find that I am waiting week to week for a turnaround in form that doesn't seem to be coming. Maybe a stint the reserves will do the trick.

Some will say it's wrong to look beyond the current game, but I am looking beyond this game and hoping we find a ruck combination that is more conducive to beating Hawthorn. I am of the opinion that part of the job during the H & A season is to find the best team to play finals against the opposition you're likely to face. I'm always wondering what we need to do to find a way to beat Hawthorn in the finals. Despite beating them a few weeks ago, I think we are still a notch below them and need to find something new to give us an edge up.
    I don't have a theory past thinking that bringing in an untested ruckman against Richmond, who have a brute of a man (maybe not a great ruckman - but very physical) as their lead ruck might lead to a similar disaster as Naismith's debut last year - i.e. it would be unwise to do, when as we've both pointed out, it is a very important match. The last thing we want to do is ruin our good 1st half of the season by starting the second half of it poorly and dropping the games against Richmond and/or Port, which frankly, on form so far this season, we should be winning relatively comfortably at home.

I'll be interested to see how we go in the ruck against the Hawks in a few weeks time - it was the one place on the park we were, at least in my eyes, relatively well beaten by them earlier in the season. But we still won the game - as many say and I tend to agree, I don't the ruck is the be all and end all that it was once was within footy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Our 'unexpected' win in 2012 was never a better example of just that. Our bottom 6 of the time would include guys like Myke, AJ, LRT, Mr September (aka Mitch Morton), even Nick Smith at the time although I suspect not internally. They all had career games.

Hawthorns bottom 6 like Puopolo, Ellis/Savage, Smith, Young, Schoenmakers never got near it all day...
    Except for last year, where it was our bottom 22 that decided the game - they all never got near it that day.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    One change won't be McGlynn back in, they're giving him another week.

Latest injury news: McGlynn out, Grundy cleared - sydneyswans.com.au

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    One change won't be McGlynn back in, they're giving him another week.

Latest injury news: McGlynn out, Grundy cleared - sydneyswans.com.au
    Plus Heeney "expected to play" in NEAFL curtain raiser on Friday night. If it happens, good news......

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Plus Heeney "expected to play" in NEAFL curtain raiser on Friday night. If it happens, good news......
    Plus Davo back as runner, the Croach out.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

In all likelihood we'll be unchanged.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    In all likelihood we'll be unchanged.
    Who will wear the green vest though?

I think Robinson needs a full game so it wouldn't surprise me to see him head back to the NEAFL and Towers or B.Jack (or maybe even Hewett) come in as the sub.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast