Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 14: Sydney v Port Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    I predict we'll win by something close to whatever Nankervis kicks. That is, if he doesn't kick any we'll probably lose.
    Not a terrible prediction. He kicked 7 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Nankers is slow isn't he?? He did a couple of good things.
    Back in the 1970s/80s he would've been a handy stay at home forward, out muscling a couple of defenders, waiting for the ball to be bombed down on his head, not leading too far from the comfort of the goal square. In 2015, he's a bit of a 101kg tortoise. Nice debut though

I thought Nank's tap out work was okay. Pyke still looks like his knee cartilage is completely shot. Would like to see Nank and Tippett trialled as a ruck duo next week. What's with the patches of games where we can't buy a freakin' clearance?

Veterans List
    Great and gutsy win. Key mids were fantastic. Reid was good and gave us a target, Jetta is just the best kick and has vision, Goodes turned back the clock and still very much in the best 22, Jones looked ok, Laidler a bit shaky tonight.

BUT Towers has to go, a real passenger, I don't care if he's quick and can jump, he doesn't get it much and looks panicky.

Ten day break so hopefully Ted is ok for Brisbane but if not Buddy and Tippo in, Reid to CHB, George to debut in place of Towers. Please be BOG on Saturday George coz the seniors need you, you ball magnet!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    I thought that Reg deserves special mention for the way he stood up as the only genuine tall defender. His 1%ers were fantastic and he saved us time and again whilst marshalling the backline.
    I agree
    He seemed to gain composure with the responsibility.
    To think when Teddy went down I thought we were well & truly buggered.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    I thought Nank's tap out work was okay. Pyke still looks like his knee cartilage is completely shot. Would like to see Nank and Tippett trialled as a ruck duo next week. What's with the patches of games where we can't buy a freakin' clearance?
    For me, as a tap ruckman, Pyke is better value than Nank. Better mark. Set shot kicking style is probably comparable from what I saw tonight (though ressies watchers would know much better ... my n=1 is a pretty small sample size for Nank though)

Was very proud of how the team rallied tonight after Ted's injury, I really though we were gone at that stage but we showed some fight against a team playing for their season. It was a good response after last week's insipid response.

And I must say that I think the Port fans their tonight were amongst the most feral to visit us in recent years, There was a foursome near me in the mid deck of the new stand who were just plain offensive.

Reid started well but I just feel he never gives us four quarters. Thought the mids played well, that Jack and JPK had their best games for a while. Good to see Jones starting to cement his place. Rampe had best game for ages too but Shaw again left me with my heart in my mouth. Nankervis I thought had a decent debut though for all his critics here I think Pyke does a job for the team but we clearly need to manage him. If he needs a cut and suck to get his knee right, usually 3-4 weeks, then I'd give him the spell and let Nankervis have an extended run.

Goodes really stood up and was counted tonight, he really did contribute well and I'd have him deep in the forward line again. Clearly father time is catching up with him but it is just so great to see him wind back the clock every now and then. One of the games all time greats.

I'd give Ted another week if any doubt.

Know this is usually another thread by itself but I'd rest Pyke and have Tippett and Nankervis next week as rucks. Buddy in and Reid at CHB if Ted is out. And Hewett in for Rohan, surely a good chance to blood the youngster. Afraid that I think Towers is just not up to the job and should be dropped and someone given a chance, I really cannot see him having a lot of value as trade bait. Anyone know of McGlynn's return date?

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Was very proud of how the team rallied tonight after Ted's injury, I really though we were gone at that stage but we showed some fight against a team playing for their season. It was a good response after last week's insipid response.

And I must say that I think the Port fans their tonight were amongst the most feral to visit us in recent years, There was a foursome near me in the mid deck of the new stand who were just plain offensive.

Reid started well but I just feel he never gives us four quarters. Thought the mids played well, that Jack and JPK had their best games for a while. Good to see Jones starting to cement his place. Rampe had best game for ages too but Shaw again left me with my heart in my mouth. Nankervis I thought had a decent debut though for all his critics here I think Pyke does a job for the team but we clearly need to manage him. If he needs a cut and suck to get his knee right, usually 3-4 weeks, then I'd give him the spell and let Nankervis have an extended run.

Goodes really stood up and was counted tonight, he really did contribute well and I'd have him deep in the forward line again. Clearly father time is catching up with him but it is just so great to see him wind back the clock every now and then. One of the games all time greats.

I'd give Ted another week if any doubt.

Know this is usually another thread by itself but I'd rest Pyke and have Tippett and Nankervis next week as rucks. Buddy in and Reid at CHB if Ted is out. And Hewett in for Rohan, surely a good chance to blood the youngster. Afraid that I think Towers is just not up to the job and should be dropped and someone given a chance, I really cannot see him having a lot of value as trade bait. Anyone know of McGlynn's return date?
    I think you are a bit hard on Sammy. Teddy went down and Sammy went back while they sorted the backs out, which they did at 3/4 time. Laids went to Schultz and Sammy was able to go back forward but his momentum was gone. He played really well in the first half. Sammy had the same amount of disposals as Goodsie, 11, and kicked the same score, 3.1. So why are you not disappointed with Goodsie? Sammy had a good night and had to play several roles due to Teddy's injury while trying to shift back to the KF role in the last. Very hard to do. I think you are totally out of order and very hard on the young man.

I didn't think Towers was that bad tonight. her did a couple of good things. Had a couple of fumbles which he has to get out of his game but he also delivered a couple of super passes.

Rhyce Shaw is finished. His composure is shot and his disposal is second grade. They even sent him forward to see if he could impact the game but he was too slow and lacked finesse. He has given up too much score lately too.

Nanka had a pretty good debut but he is slow, very slow. That is a problem. Good kick, except for that OOF. Pykie was shot tonight and never looked even half fit.

Lloydy's disposal was sublime tonight, except for one OOF. Some of his short passes in traffic were really sooooo good.

Parks is the spiritual captain of this footy side. What guts. He, Hannas, Joey, Tommy & Kizza were not going down even when KO'd.

Rampe, Smithy, Macca & Reg were very good. Laids tried hard but was finding the going hard against the speedsters. Bloody stupid match up for him anyway. Better in the last when he took Schulz.

Gaz going down was a bad moment as he had huge momentum. His marking was sensational.

Not a bad win considering the base from where we came. Two players missing, two injured early, a ruckman who appeared injured & suspect fitness level.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I must admit that Goodes was starting to bug me withe the political correctness BS and irrelevant limelight that he has found himself in in recent times but he is reminding everyone that he is a genuine all-time champion by anyone's standards. What a champ. Seems that he is very wary of fading away and is digging deep to silence even the harshest critics with the world's shortest memories.
    "Take me down to the Paradise City where the grass is green and the Swans win pretty."

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Nankervis might not be fast in the sense of covering the ground (not many ruckmen are) but he's definitely a fast thinker...that kick to Kennedy to set up the goal was brilliant, just screamed natural footballer. Same with his run into space to set-up his own goal...he saw how the play was unfolding as soon as Reid was launching at the ball and pushed hard forward. His aggression and tackling should also be noted and for what it's worth he took as many marks as Ryder and Lobbe combined.

He definitely gave us something to work with and if Pyke does need the rest leading into a finals campaign then I'd be more than confident in a combination of Nank and Tippett.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post

Nanka had a pretty good debut but he is slow, very slow. That is a problem. Good kick, except for that OOF. Pykie was shot tonight and never looked even half fit.
    Yeah but imagine if Pyke didn't play? His ability to at least contest might have been a significant difference between a win & a loss under the circumstances. Who else would have? & the consistent Port double teaming at ruck contests against him still irks me!

Veterans List
    That double teaming (as opposed to third man up) in ruck contests is definitely illegal so don't know why the umpires don't ping it ...... or maybe I don't know the rules. Better get On the Couch to investigate!