Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robbie Ando KO @ Gabba

Robbie Ando KO @ Gabba

This message is on behalf of my brother Robbie Ando, as some of you may be aware was KO Yesterday night at the Gabba by a stray football during kick to kick, after the match.

He is doing alright and is expected home tonight, he was taken to hospital by the St John Ambos and my counterparts of the QLD Police. Who I have contacted today and thanked.

A major major thank you, must go out to Julian F, who kept the family updated all night from the hospital. Truely Thankful that BOB has such caring and loyal friends. I most likely have missed out on other people that went to the hospital, so from the bottom of my soul less heart THANK YOU.

So It took I stray football to finally SHUT HIM UP

Ando Little Brother Luke
    Once was, now elsewhere

Did someone find the guy who kicked the ball and sign him up? Must've been one powerful kick.

Seriously now, hope you're now feeling well, and have no side effects.

*hugs*
    Cher
    CHER - Who has two types of blood cells "RED ones and WHITE ones"

Well hello everyone, I'm OK but I had one hell of a night. The kick was a powerful one, enough to knock me out cold for at least 15 minutes, while it was a further 30 minutes after that until I was able to leave the GABBA. From there I was taken to hospital for a check up. I was released at 3.30am after rejecting to undergo further tests this afternoon because I felt better to not spend the next 12 - 15 hours in the ER waiting to get a CAT scan. I have to have a check up in Melbourne upon my return, but I should be alright.

Anyway I must thank JF, Gemma and Annette for their great help on the night and today in making sure that not only was I alright, but that my family was kept informed. Also thanks to Des, Mike, Jay and Greg Bell, for not only putting up with me but also for understanding what was going on, as the reason why they were put out.

So people don't worry I'll be OK and I'll be back posting on here like normal on my return.
    Once was, now elsewhere

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Robbie's health

I'm glad to see you up and posting again, as this trip would have to rank up with the Port trip last June as one of the WORST I have ever experienced. As I was saying to several people last night, it was probably just as traumatic for me, not only the cloest person to him on the list, but the closest person literally to him when the convulsion happened.

Basically during kick to kick a ball came flying through the goals, it smacked Robbie on the front side of his head. He was packing the flags up and had his back turned to procedings, something I think you'll agree that is something that is fraught with danger for somebody sitting behind the goals every week (ask Jude Adam's Babe). It full on sconed him and he instantly fell over the edge of his seat. I was half thinking that he was going to scream out "owwwww" as you do when you get hit in the head by a footy, but no, nothing, zippo. Luckily I was there, as his head would have slammed onto the ground.

The next 15 minutes were some of the most sickening moments I have experienced in my football supporting life. Robbie's eyes were rolling in the back of his head; he was totally out to it. With footballs still raining down on us, and Brisbane Saturday-night drunks often improving the situation to scream obsenities at us, even hurling ice cubes at one stage, we waited and waited and waited for the St John's Ambulance people to A) arrive and B) do anything. As Robbie started to come to, we were able to at least call his parents in Melbourne. I swear, there is nothing more frightening than having the mother of something who has been in an accident asking me with a voice waivering with terror and fear "What can I do? What do i do now?" Especially when I'm from 1000km away and her 2000 km away.

After originally not wanting to go to hospital, Robbie Mike annette and myself ended up at Emergency at Prince Alexandra Hospital in Chermside. We ended up leaving at 4am, which of course to us two was actually 5 am. The doc wanted him there overnight, but Robbie decided sleep in a hotel bed was preferable to a stressful night in the "observation room". It was hardly a pleasant environment, as there was a crackhead screaming crazed obscenities at the nurses for not treating her, and rows of ill passengers on rolla-beds in the corridors. I tried to change my flight so I could at least be there 100% of the time in Robbie's care, but ended up going on my normal flight where I met up JS.

All in all, one of the most harrowing trips I think I have made anywhere period. It is scary enough seeing that sort of thing happen at any time. But having it happen in a city you have hardly ever been to, do not know at all, and having the people who could come to help being 2000 km away and totally helpless is one of the most horrible things you could experience.

Hopefully as I write this, Ando is something in the air between Brisbane & Melbourne. His parents will greet him at Tullamarine, and there he can get checked up by Neurosurgeons who are aware of his history etc etc.

There is such a frigging fine line between the trip of the year and a trip from hell. Had Ball's kick gone through, we'd have been celebrating deliriously. But it didn't, so we weren't. And this happened.

I guess there were a lot of positives to come out of this weekend in Brisbane. Just for me they became irrelevant one Robbie was out. As I said to somebody later that night, there is nothing to laugh about such a thing.

For all of us, just beat Freo on Sunday guys. I'm off to bed, again. I have a new job to start tomorrow, so just have to appear fresh and rested.

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Go Swans Always
    Robbie what a night for you - hope you are AOK in no time.
    May the Swans run all over Freo for you and that will have you feeling much better in no time. Take care - don't take life at rush ensure you are better first.
    Love those Swans

Veterans List
    I can sympathise Robbie as I copped one in the back of the scone at Optus Oval a few years back. Have had headaches and sinus problems since and appears Whiplash which has done some permanent neck muscle damage.Won't get me on the ground again.

Just hope you don't have any residual problems.

Football Terrorist
    Hey Robbie man,

I hope you are well now. Take it easy, and soon you'll be back behind the goals waving those flags.

Must have been very scary for JF and the others. I kinda know cause Mrs Destructive collapsed on me in the middle of Parramatta after giving blood.

Sounded like one hell of a trip.
    The Destructive Dan Experience - Featuring Teal.
    Add me on Facebook - Danny Pinsuti (Except Suzi Olsen and her split personalities.)
    238 AFL Games.

Last I saw Robbie (at Brissie airport tonight) he was back to his usual self. He spent the day with us at our Brisbane Outpost (Annette's house) and seemed to be just fine.

He was very wobbly last night though!

Gee it's impossible to get a cab outside the gabba late after a game.....

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Probably won't hear much from the "Give the Kids a Kick' faction.

It has always been the contention of the parties that have barred letting the masses onto the ground to kick footballs every which way that rather than being fun, it is downright dangerous.

This episode just reinforces that view.

But don't let that stop you from donning your T-shirts and telling everybody that cares, as well as the huge majority of us that don't, that the kids should be allowed to be let loose in a confined area with missiles flying from all angles after the game.

Originally posted by BBB
    Probably won't hear much from the "Give the Kids a Kick' faction.

It has always been the contention of the parties that have barred letting the masses onto the ground to kick footballs every which way that rather than being fun, it is downright dangerous.

This episode just reinforces that view.

But don't let that stop you from donning your T-shirts and telling everybody that cares, as well as the huge majority of us that don't, that the kids should be allowed to be let loose in a confined area with missiles flying from all angles after the game.
    Freak accidents can happen on any occassion. They are unfortunate and nothing you do can stop them. If he got hit by a bus, would you be saying stop allowing buses on the road? If an aeroplane crashes do you ban air travel?

A huge part of footy culture is being able to go onto the ground after the game and have a kick. If you want to avoid being hit then don't go on the ground.

Everyday life brings many risks. To avoid all of these risks is an impossible task.

I feel sorry that you are timid and hold such oppressive views. To limit the enjoyment of thousands is an over reaction to an unfortunate situation.

I have no problems with the kick-to-kick at all. Sure, accidents will happen, and you DO have to be careful. What I didn't like was the response (or lack thereof) from the Gabba trust, or whoever was supposed to be in charge.

Once there were people crowding around someone comatose on the ground, with medical staff attending to him, someone should have got on the PA and got the crowd to the opposite side of the ground. But there were still footballs raining down on us FIFTEEN MINUTES after the incident.

The cops did their best, they sent back people from the goalsquare, but there's no way they could get to people who are 60 m away and getting them to stop having a shot at the goals.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Freak accidents can happen on any occassion. They are unfortunate and nothing you do can stop them.
    Hello....you can stop people getting hurt from kick to kick.

You don't allow it.

That's how the SCG trust have decided to protect THEMSELVES, but some still don't see the light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast