Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 256

Thread: Stand by Goodes

  1. #13
    Further to this, the club shop is selling indigenous guernseys for 50 dollars which is a steal. I think I'll buy one and get them to put a 37 on it for me...

  2. #14
    Veterans List wolftone57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lilyfield
    Posts
    5,226
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Boycotting something would be a protest against the organisers - the Swans and the AFL. It would actually encourage this anti-social behaviour.

    I think it would be more appropriate that, if you are at a game and someone close to you boos, you tap them on the shoulder and (in a loud voice) tell them their behaviour is unacceptable and ask that they stop. Make them feel singled out and small. Obviously harder to do at an away game where there are a mass of people booing, but you can still pick one individual and have the conversation.
    I would go even further and get security to have them removed for antisocial behaviour. We aos have to remember that people who do this are racially vilifying Adam. Call them out as racists to their face. Get in their face. Antagonise them and vilify them back. If you did this on a street in any city of Australia you could be charged with racist vilification.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Daisi View Post
    Further to this, the club shop is selling indigenous guernseys for 50 dollars which is a steal. I think I'll buy one and get them to put a 37 on it for me...
    I think I will too.

    I want to get a T made up that says 'I STAND WITH GOODSIE!'

  3. #15
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    8,347
    Confronting those that boo at games will do nothing. It's like arresting just the small time drug pushers, while leaving the kingpins alone. That's the way things usually work in the world. It's just a farce. If the AFL executive, the media owners and the political leaders wanted to stop racism, it would be over in a day.

    The people that boo Adam Goodes are like sheep. They are just following those they hear on the radio and TV that say it's okay and give them cover with the variety of silly excuses we've all heard before. Racism persists because those in positions of power want it too continue.

    The AFL talk about their desire for equalisation. Well how about having a bit of equalisation at birth. Adam Goodes has worked so hard to give disadvantaged aboriginal children an easier pathway to compete with other Australian in sports and life in general. Support for Adam and all he has done for Australia needs to come from the top.

  4. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisi View Post
    Further to this, the club shop is selling indigenous guernseys for 50 dollars which is a steal. I think I'll buy one and get them to put a 37 on it for me...
    Excellent idea
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

  5. #17
    Maybe the Swans should just walk off during a game and not return until the booing stops. Make a statement. As employees is it reasonable they should have to work in such a racist environment. It's the only way this will end. The majority of people who don't boo and just want to watch a game of football will then influence those around them. Just my view..

  6. #18
    Reefer Madness
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    in a yellow submarine
    Posts
    2,790
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'll be going, not because I disagree with the motive behind the original post.

    I'll be going because if Adam is playing I want to cheer him on.

    I'll be going because if Adam isn't playing I want to cheer on Lewis Jetta for taking a stand.

    I'll be going because if there a single KKK-er in my vicinity who boos or jeers either of them, I'm going to call them on it.

    And I'll be going because if the boys respond in any way to bad behaviour - a walk off, a show of solidarity, or a gesture of support from the Crows players - I want to applaud the hell out them.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

  7. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I'll be going, not because I disagree with the motive behind the original post.

    I'll be going because if Adam is playing I want to cheer him on.

    I'll be going because if Adam isn't playing I want to cheer on Lewis Jetta for taking a stand.

    And I'll be going because if there a single KKK-er in my vicinity who boos or jeers either of them, I'm going to call them on it.
    Yes, you're right. Great reasons. Lewis Jetta's gesture on Sunday was magnificent. Hope the rest of the boys back him and Adam in on Saturday. What about a spear dance as a pre-game haka thing? How powerful would that be? It doesn't have to be 'targeted' at anyone, just a glorious performance of solidarity, belonging and passion.

  8. #20
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Strangways central victoria
    Posts
    286
    I would like to see the Marngrook Footy Show make a stand and ask for Indigenous players from other sides to go to him at the start and end of the game and raise their jumpers and point to the colour of their skin ala Nicky Winmar and the ones that are playing in different games get together at the start and end of the game and do the same thing.

  9. #21
    As I am just a 155 cm tiny person, I won't be yelling at racists at the footy on Saturday. What I will be doing is calling security if I hear any racist crap...and I just went to the shop and bought my indigenous guernsey.

  10. #22
    Would be good if all Swans players ran out with 37 on their back

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Daisi View Post
    Further to this, the club shop is selling indigenous guernseys for 50 dollars which is a steal. I think I'll buy one and get them to put a 37 on it for me...
    Would be good if all Swans players ran out with 37 on their back

  11. #23
    None of that stuff will change anything.

    The only way to get the AFL to crack down on racists, is to hit them where it hurts (money). Anyone who does not like what is happening needs to vote with their feet and boycott.

    BAU will change nothing.

  12. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    None of that stuff will change anything.

    The only way to get the AFL to crack down on racists, is to hit them where it hurts (money). Anyone who does not like what is happening needs to vote with their feet and boycott.

    BAU will change nothing.
    That hurts the Swans much more than anyone else.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO