Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fight for Trade Ban Removal

Warming the Bench

Fight for Trade Ban Removal

Hi guys,

I know we're all sick to death of the injustice surrounding our trade ban. Andrew Pridham has now spoken out against the ridiculous sanction, and I honestly feel that the club are taking this as far as they can now.

In a recent discussion with Andrew, the trade ban was mentioned and he told me to keep up the fight against it, and that every little bit of support from us, the club's members and supporters, will help. So, I've written a piece for The Footy Almanac, which I've provided a link for below. Please feel free to comment on the site, and get the discussion going among the wider footy community (many of whom are clueless about the ban due to the suspicious silence within the media). I truly believe that we can add to the growing support and make a difference in regards to have the ban removed.

http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/the-s...s-trading-ban/

Cheer, cheer!

Joe.

Veterans List
    Well done Joe, every little bit helps. This fight is not over and we will win!

Warming the Bench
    Thanks 707. I think the fight is just beginning. Comments of support are filtering through, keep them coming.

Well done Joe. Just one quibble - but an important one as it is a mistake a lot of our detractors make. It is not correct that "Every player on the Swans� list received 9.8% of their entire contract as a Cost of Living Allowance." COLA is only paid on player payments. It is not paid on Additional Services Agreements (ASAs) which form part of some player contracts.

In particular the club has said that a "significant" part of Lance Franklin's contract is in the form of an ASA. This means that Buddy does NOT receive 9.8% of his entire contract as COLA as many claim he does.

Warming the Bench
    Thanks Meg. To be completely honest, I'm not sure. I am fairly confident that every contract prior to the COLA phasing out announcement, included the full COLA allowance though. I could be wrong.

Here is the source for my statement:

Andrew Ireland reported in AFL.com.au on October 1, 2013:
    �in the $10 million [for Franklin] there is a substantial amount of it which is in marketing contracts which we�re allowed to do which falls under a different part of the cap which no C.O.L.A (cost-of-living allowance) applies to.�

(And by �marketing contracts� he is referring to Additional Services Agreements available to all clubs.)

Franklin approached Swans: Ireland - AFL.com.au

Warming the Bench
    Thanks Meg. That's good information to have. Can certainly see why detractors would skim over this.... Largely because like you say, the ASAs are available to all clubs!

Good work Joe.

I remember Andrew Ireland saying last year, that Tippett and Franklin were receiving less than $60k COLA between them, for 2014, due to ASA's.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Warming the Bench
    Thanks Ernie. Appreciate it mate.

Veterans List
    I watched On The Couch specifically to hear the discussion on this. Deafening silence. Looks like the gag was on.

I haven't seen much of 360. Was it mentioned at any stage amid the James Hird story.

It's an issue that might be getting more air time but for all the bigger news swirling around this week - especially Hird leaving the Gliders and the BIG new rights deal.

Veterans List
    More like Kamikazes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast