Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub rule abolished, interchange cap reduced for 2016

Regular in the Side

Sub rule abolished, interchange cap reduced for 2016

Just been posted on the AFL site that the sub is being abolished next year and interchanges will be capped at 90.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Just been posted on the AFL site that the sub is being abolished next year and interchanges will be capped at 90.
    A step in the right direction

Long term I'd like to see the bench extended to six players and interchanges capped at a maximum of 10 per quarter. If a player is subbed and the club elects that they will play no further part in the game (for injury or for strategic reasons) then they should be allowed to add that sub back

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Thank goodness for that.... a stupid rule when they bought it in, such a shame its lasted this long to be honest.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

We are of the same mind mcs....
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

NOTHING has frustrated me more over the X number of years that stupid sub rule has been in place than seeing young fellas you've watched in the seconds from the time they were drafted/rookied, cool their heels with the vest and get a run with 20 minutes to go with little opportunity to impress.

Hated it.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Hated it.
    Agree totally. About time the VFL got something right.

Can live without the sub, but i like the rotations.

What I'd love to see is any player who plays say 14 or more finals and/or H&A games for the year receives a medallion.
    Seeing it's a team game and all.
    Not sure if other codes in other countries do this, but I see no reason not to implement it.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Not a fan of the sub rule but one thing it was good for was not disadvantaging a team when a player went off for a concussion test or down with an early injury.

In such cases both teams maintain 3 players on the interchange. Now we'll have cases where teams could be playing 3 versus 4 rotations for extended periods of the match. I hope it doesn't lead to players putting themselves at risk by insisting on staying on the park after a head knock.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Can live without the sub, but i like the rotations.

What I'd love to see is any player who plays say 14 or more finals and/or H&A games for the year receives a medallion.
    Not sure if other codes in other countries do this, but I see no reason not to implement it.
    Like... a participation award?

In North American professional sports (NFL's Super Bowl, the NBA Championship, MLB's World Series, and the NHL's Stanley Cup) teams produce their own rings for "significant contributors to a championship team". I think in one extreme case about 500 rings were made for one championship team & were even given to office workers of the team. That's a little over the top to me & perhaps cheapens the ring's sentiment.

While I personally like to see the sanctity of premiership medals being awarded to the players & coach who participate on the day, I have always advocated a second (different) medallion produced by the league (or club) to be given to each player in the premiership squad, assistant coaches etc as (in their own way) they have contributed ... eg the bottom player on the list drives the second bottom player to be better etc.

They could be presented at the club's B&F, and would be a recognition of their contribution to a premiership team.

I would guess the biggest opposition to that idea would be the players themselves. Players strive to play in a winning GF side, not be sitting on the sideline for whatever reason watching their club win it. Matt Spangher would have a drawer full if they just handed them out for being on the list.

I doubt Ben McGlynn feels like a Premiership player...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

I would guess the biggest opposition to that idea would be the players themselves. Players strive to play in a winning GF side, not be sitting on the sideline for whatever reason watching their club win it. Matt Spangher would have a drawer full if they just handed them out for being on the list.

Agree. But Benny feels like a Premiership player to me.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    ... Matt Spangher would have a drawer full if they just handed them out for being on the list.

Hence a minimum number of games requirement.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast