Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Qualifying Final Freo v Sydney Pre Match Discussion

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    But does Rohan get enough of the footy? 10 kicks, 2 handpasses, 5 marks, 1 tackle. does a lot of chasing but does it translate into tackles?
    I think yesterday he was playing mostly in defence. I prefer to see him up forward: leaves any defender for dead, consistently very good mark and reliable kick. Then you add in his capacity to apply forward pressure and either frighten the life out of defenders or run them down.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Out:
    1. Slow starts against Freo
    2. Dodgy WA/Freo biased umpires (i.e. Dagleish number 7 from earlier in the year).

I think some of the criticism of Lloyd has been unwarranted. I watched the replay of the 1st half and thought he played very well, particularly in the 1st qtr when he set up 2 good scoring shots. His kicking was spot on and his decision making was excellent.

His role is to set up on the wing and play that outside runner both offensively and defensively. He runs hard all day. He took 10 marks for the game. He is often there to slow down play on defensive transition, quickly moving back to help out in the defensive 50. He often presents as a secondary outlet option, most of the time not getting the ball delivered to him, but he keeps on providing that option. He doesn't fade out of the game.

We know he doesn't have the strength (yet) to contest the hard ball against the stronger bodies of mature AFL players. He was a good inside player in the NEAFL when it was a lot easier and is likely to improve over time with his physical development. I think he makes good choices as to when he should go hard at the ground ball and when it's best to lay off (because he's more likely to be effective if the ball comes loose to the outside when his chances of getting possession are improved).

He's not a big impact player, but is quite effective. I have said before that he needs to continue to improve if he wants to hold a spot in a very talented midfield, but so far he seems on track to give it a fair go. I expect that he'll have to fight hard to sneak into the 22 over the next several years. I think his prototype is someone like Steele Sidebottom.

On the big ground in Perth, his running ability could be valuable. I still think he's ahead of BJ at the moment. It's a tossup as to whether he would be preferable too Jones. It depends on what we need on the day.

The booing of Goodes will be off the scale. I wonder how it will effect the team.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The booing of Goodes will be off the scale. I wonder how it will effect the team.
    Reckon? I think it's mostly died down. I'd be hoping that generally more respect will be shown.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Reckon? I think it's mostly died down. I'd be hoping that generally more respect will be shown.
    Don't underestimate the WA crowds. They will take every dirty advantage they can.

This finals series pits us against the biggest booers (racists) in the comp. WA teams and hawks. I have a feeling it's going to get ugly ..... and of course the AFL will do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    Don't underestimate the WA crowds. They will take every dirty advantage they can.
    Which may help convince Jetta he should stay in Sydney

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    This finals series pits us against the biggest booers (racists) in the comp. WA teams and hawks. I have a feeling it's going to get ugly ..... and of course the AFL will do nothing.
    1) Let Hodge get away with drink driving.
    2) Only a two week holiday for Hodge for deliberately attempting to end Wingards career.
    3) Letting Sam Mitchell get away with cheating and crippling Walker and Fyfe.
    4) Banned us from trading for following the rules.
    5) Didn't allow us to rest players but let Freo get away with murder.

The AFL (Langford, Fitzpatrick and co.) seriously want the hawks to win this years Premiership. Langford should not even be on the AFL commission because his son is on a playing list.

Opti-pessi-misti
    The difference this time around is that Goodesy and the team will be mentally prepared for the inevitable booing and will hopefully be better equipped to ignore it. I am sure the team will talk about the possibility and how best to react.

The worst thing would be for the media to bring the issue up, or bring it up in such a way that the booers will boo long and loudly just to defend their right to boo. Maybe Jets will do another dance!!

Given most of Freo's team had the week off, I'm surprised they elected for a Sat game over a Friday game.

Was it up to Freo to decide when & where to play
    I assumed this was the AFL
    Didn't know this

Cheers

Chris

As minor premiers, Freo was able to elect when they wanted to play and preferred a full 7 day break, therefore moving QF1 to Saturday afternoon (which also gives the loser an extra day's break vs winner of the EF2)

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast