Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Qualifying Final Freo v Sydney Pre Match Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    I have concerns about Lloyd's ability in the heavy physical stuff and I think Towers really showed some stern stuff last week when we were going backwards. His disposal was excellent, no, elite, and he is much more versatile than Lloyd. I would take the gamble on him.
    As a card carrying member of the Dean Towers Fan Club I agree.

Most successful finals campaigns throw up an unlikely hero who arrives as an AFL player. I really think Towers is a difficult player to match up on and if he can just re-create that form from Saturday for a month he will be an enormous asset to the team

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I think that's the best we can do at the moment all things considered ... I am glad Towers got to play a pretty good game for us ... but without pressure ... and I would not fancy him in the finals.
    I agree. Towers showed his skills, and played well, against a poor team with nothing to play for.

From what I've seen of him in previous seniors appearances, is a guy who struggles under pressure. And even though he chases he rarely sticks a tackle.

This is finals footy against a very physical, pressuring side. I fear he'll wilt in such a game.

But Horse seems to really value him, and I expect him to play.....Really hope he proves me wrong and plays well.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I agree. Towers showed his skills, and played well, against a poor team with nothing to play for.

From what I've seen of him in previous seniors appearances, is a guy who struggles under pressure. And even though he chases he rarely sticks a tackle.

This is finals footy against a very physical, pressuring side. I fear he'll wilt in such a game.

But Horse seems to really value him, and I expect him to play.....Really hope he proves me wrong and plays well.
    Sounds very similar to Goodes in 2015 - I hope they both handle their defensive responsibilities against Freo

I think McGlynn will come into the side along with McVeigh and Smith. Benny is a good replacement for Kizza. They do a lot of similar stuff. At worst, Benny would be a good tag for Neale who can rack up loads of possessions. As of now it is looking like the conditions could be wet. The Friday game may be rainy and our game may have showers and wet conditions as well.

Other than the obvious KJ, the outs are not easy to choose.

My remaining 2 outs would come from these 4:

1. Brandon Jack: He's played well, but is still apt to make poor decisions. An option for the sub, but not the starting side.
    2. Jones: Really like his game, but with Smith coming back in along with Macca, there is less of a natural role for him. Would prefer him to Towers in wet conditions.
    3. Towers: He had his best game on Saturday. It was more like the form he's shown in the reserves, but this was the first time he was able to bring that level to the seniors. Perhaps it was just that we played a reserves quality side and he would drop back to his more lackluster self against Freo. He would be my choice for sub in dry conditions.
    4. Lloyd: He's got the best fitness level of the candidates. He's a good decision maker and the most versatile of above group. Not flashy, but most likely to put in a solid game under all conditions. Has been a regular 20+ disposal player running up and down the wings, something there will be a lot of at Domain stadium. The little bit extra senior experience compared to the others could be valuable in finals conditions. Would be my choice to keep his spot in the starting 21.

Senior Player
    My sporting predictions share one characteristic : they are usually a load of bollocks. Still , having predicted a Hawks - Tigers GF , I will stick my neck out again : I believe Freo will implode and that we are a very good chance not only to beat them on Saturday , but to hammer them.

Not only does winning here give us a home Prelim Final, but the week off gives #15 and #26 every chance of playing in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    [*]Jones: Really like his game, but with Smith coming back in along with Macca, there is less of a natural role for him. Would prefer him to Towers in wet conditions.[/LIST]
    I'd be very surprised if Jones was left out.. He's taken over from Shaw as our rebounder these recent weeks and has performed well. Shaw has played further up the ground.

He's a natural footballer, he's got plenty of mongrel...He's made for finals.

I'd love to see him match up on Ballantyne. It would be a great battle, with plenty of fireworks.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I'd be very surprised if Jones was left out.. He's taken over from Shaw as our rebounder these recent weeks and has performed well. Shaw has played further up the ground.

He's a natural footballer, he's got plenty of mongrel...He's made for finals.

I'd love to see him match up on Ballantyne. It would be a great battle, with plenty of fireworks.
    Zac just has to curb his aggression/enthusiasm a little and not take it over the top as he is want to do sometimes and finals is not the place to do that.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    I have concerns about Lloyd's ability in the heavy physical stuff and I think Towers really showed some stern stuff last week when we were going backwards. His disposal was excellent, no, elite, and he is much more versatile than Lloyd. I would take the gamble on him.
    This

Lloyd has been out of form for a while now, pretty harsh to drop Towers after last weekend's game

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    This

Lloyd has been out of form for a while now, pretty harsh to drop Towers after last weekend's game
    Lloyd has a big engine which is what you need at Subiaco. Towers makes a good sub because he can play forward or back and if we are taking a risk with a few players (Franklin and Rowan) this could be called on. Thus BJ goes out for mine.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    Jake Niall wrote a piece in Sunday's Age stating his case for Hodge letting go of the captaincy. I'm not able to attach it as I read newsprint not screen!

The paragraph that interested me was as follows:

"He has been suspended for acts of brutality twice in 2015, clobbering Andrew Swallow early this season (3 matches) and then incurring a 3 match ban for a crude head-high bump on the sublime Chad Wingard. Like Sam Mitchell (who corked Nat Fyfe and Taylor Walker) and vice-captain Jordan Lewis (round arm on Tod Goldstein), Hodge has not wasted his excessive physicality on ordinary players this year."
    It's not only Swans supporters who think this way Hawthorn play dirty.
    My point exactly. It's only players who are a threat to Hawthorn success who are targeted. Good to see that others have noticed this. It's actually pretty obvious to the unbiased.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    This

It will come down to role plays and match ups.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast