Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Qualifying Final Freo v Sydney Pre Match Discussion

Veteran Site Admin
    In response to Ludwig's suggestion, I've moved all the posts in this thread discussing Buddy's absence and related topics to the thread that had already been created about Buddy. It is still a mishmash of footy and non-footy related observations but for now I'll leave it as one thread, rather than try and chop it up.

If posters want a separate thread where they can discuss depression and other mental health issues more generally, one can be created (and I can move the non-footy posts from the Buddy thread into that one).

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    So now you have to assume that the changes to the team will be

OUT Franklin Kizza
    IN Mcglynn McVeigh.

Towers gets another game he may just wear the vest this week.

Go Swans and look after yourself bud
    Plus maybe Bird for Lloyd with Bird to take the vest?

Quote Originally Posted by 6'2, 220, 4.53 View Post
    We should be very happy as this game marks the reality that John Longmire has been a more successful coach than Paul Roos.

Paul Roos's first five seasons were:

03 - Preliminary
    04 - Week 2
    05 - Premiers
    06 - Grand Finalists
    07 - 1st Week

Longmire will at least go:

11 - 2nd Week
    12 - Premiers
    13 - Preliminary
    14 - Grand Finalists
    15 - At least week two.

That is at least one additional finals game compared to Roos's tenure (first five years).

Well done Longmire.
    This is not a fair comparison. Roos was bringing the club from a fair way further back. In 2002 the club finished 12th even after he helped them finish the season strongly. He handed the reins over to Horse with the club primed for success. In 2011 when Horse started we had finished 5th the preceding season and he had a core of finals-hardened players, and also some outstanding youth like the reigning rising star winner, Dan Hannebery, plus our 2009 first round draft picks Rohan and Jetta where Rohan was our highest first round draft pick since 2002 (McVeigh). Our 2012 flag winning side had more talent than our 2005 side - even though both sides were overachievers.

I think Roos is not getting sufficient credit for the work he is doing at Melbourne either. Now there is a side that is coming from a LOOONNNNNGGGGG way back and has made progress each of the two years he has been in charge and likely to make more progress again next year. Just because they are not contending yet and their form fluctuates and he blames the players some times doesn't mean he is not doing a terrific job for the club. Again he is going to handover the reins of a club primed for success with young talent like Hogan, Brayshaw, Petracca, Salem plus whoever they draft this year plus the McDonalds, Stretch, Neal-Bullen and so on. They have done some great trading (Vince! Tyson! Robinson?!) drafting under Roos watch and I dare say he deserves some of the credit.
    Last edited by bloodspirit; 9th September 2015 at 03:39 PM.

-

Veterans List
    Maybe Smith should sit out games at Etihad Stadium. Not the first time he has done the hammie there.

We shouldnt give up on this final.
    Sure we are without Parker, Buddy and Jack, but we've essentially been without Buddy for nearly 2 months now. He's been a shadow of himself.
    And Freo will be without Fyfe and Ballantyne.

The game is there to be won. Chances are we will have Bud back for the home prelim. Parker back for the granny. Suddenly all we are missing is Jack, and he might even make the granny.

Snag a win against the depleted Dockers and our season comes back to life in a big way.

Veterans List
    If you listen to the media it is all doom and gloom and we will be out in straight sets and that Richmond and North are rubbing their hands together!

I hope that Freo are too confident .

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    If you listen to the media it is all doom and gloom and we will be out in straight sets and that Richmond and North are rubbing their hands together!

I hope that Freo are too confident .
    Even with the current outs, I'd be ultimately disappointed if we cant make a prelim. Our home finals record in recent seasons is superb, and I think we will win an elimination semi against either of them.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I think Roos is not getting sufficient credit for the work he is doing at Melbourne either. Now there is a side that is coming from a LOOONNNNNGGGGG way back and has made progress each of the two years he has been in charge and likely to make more progress again next year. Just because they are not contending yet and their form fluctuates and he blames the players some times doesn't mean he is not doing a terrific job for the club. Again he is going to handover the reins of a club primed for success with young talent like Hogan, Brayshaw, Petracca, Salem plus whoever they draft this year plus the McDonalds, Stretch, Neal-Bullen and so on. They have done some great trading (Vince! Tyson! Robinson?!) drafting under Roos watch and I dare say he deserves some of the credit.
    Could not agree more. It's amazing what a difference that round 23 win has done for the vibe though.

I think he has laid a fantastic platform and a good list - if he can get them from 2-20 with a 50% to, say, 10-12 with a 85% then he will have done a very good turnaround.

Warming the Bench
    I'm all for a classic Swannies revival, but I don't think the timing's right this weekend, the universe is giving off bad vibes at the mo'... going straight from the QF into the Prelim is for pussies anyway! Something lightweights like Freo and Weagles would do.

But if we can use the extra game time from playing through a Semi to put some experience into our younger boys then we can go into the GF much stronger. e.g. Rosey to be subbed in each game for a quarter and a half. A full start in the Big Dance, by which time he's kicking 4 goals a quarter. His Last quarters are pretty similar to one Nick Davis last quarter I vaguely remember. Fitness - we've got plenty of, Endurance - we eat that $@## up, and the warmer weather will prevent hammy injuries and whatever niggles Gazza constantly gets.

All we need to do is to play Weagles in the prelim...
    I've done some research based on science (like Swisse vitamins). There have been 6 "supermoons" this year (where the moon is at the closest point to the earth.) 3 of them were in Jan-Mar so don't count. 1 was 31st July and another 30th August. The next is on September 28th - prelim final weekend(ish). Our last 2 supermoon results: Wins over Adelaide by 52 & StKilda by 97. Weagles: Draw with Gold Coast, Loss to Adelaide by 57. We are clearly the best supermoon trackers. And the universe owes us one... and the bonus is we get to see our boys go round 3 more times!

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquirta View Post
    All we need to do is to play Weagles in the prelim...
    I've done some research based on science (like Swisse vitamins). There have been 6 "supermoons" this year (where the moon is at the closest point to the earth.) 3 of them were in Jan-Mar so don't count. 1 was 31st July and another 30th August. The next is on September 28th - prelim final weekend(ish). Our last 2 supermoon results: Wins over Adelaide by 52 & StKilda by 97. Weagles: Draw with Gold Coast, Loss to Adelaide by 57. We are clearly the best supermoon trackers. And the universe owes us one... and the bonus is we get to see our boys go round 3 more times!
    Lol, gold.

That's a clear winner in the 'clutching at straws' competition, but I like it...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I think the latest Swans site article was written by my kids:
    The Swans have versed Fremantle
    hot topics qualifying final
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast