Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Buddy (merged thread)

Happy and I know it

Buddy (merged thread)

Franklin out of 1st final: (from the Swans website)

" Sydney Swans forward Lance Franklin has been ruled out of Saturday�s qualifying final against Fremantle due to illness.

Lance is currently being treated for an ongoing mental health condition.

Sydney Swans General Manager of Football, Tom Harley, said the Club was doing everything possible to support Lance through this time.

�Our first priority is looking after Lance�s health,� Harley said.

�Lance has been open with the Club about his condition and while we consider it a private medical matter, he is aware he has our full support.

�The timeframe on his return is unclear at this stage. He will certainly miss this week�s match and we will continue to monitor his condition.

The Club asks that Lance�s privacy � and that of his family � be respected at this time."
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    " Sydney Swans forward Lance Franklin has been ruled out of Saturday�s qualifying final against Fremantle due to illness.
    Lance is currently being treated for an ongoing mental health condition.
    Well that is very unfortunate and sad. All the best to him.

On the team front - at least gives us time to develop a "non-Buddy-centric" game plan, which may be a good thing.

Was really looking forward to some Buddy brilliance out in Perth on Saturday. Huge blow, he has most likely made the right decision and hopefully he'll recover.

My understanding is that even if Buddy has to retire due to health reasons we still have to include his salary in our salary cap for the 7 years remaining on his contract.

We are finished (would have liked to use another word) for a long long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    My understanding is that even if Buddy has to retire due to health reasons we still have to include his salary in our salary cap for the 7 years remaining on his contract.

It's a massive concern for sure.....

Wow.

I'm glad he has a good support network around him
    The Swans Twitter feed is currently updating the story

Hope he's ok
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gosh. Hope he gets any help he needs.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

Bloody hell.This could really go pear shaped for us. He most likely won't play again this year. Surely we must have insurances to cover the one million per year if he doesn't play any further but that is really getting ahead of ourselves.

Goes up to 11
    Wow this certainly looks like it'll derail our finals chances - I can't see us going far without Buddy on the field, in addition to the loss of Parker and Jack.

And as Ludwig says will potentially have a massive impact for a long time in a worst case scenario.

This is a huge story. I hope he gets back on the field asap and I'm mainly saying it, as much as I hate to admit it, as a fan of our club first and foremost.

If he's missing a final due to mental health reasons he mustn't be very well at all. Hard to see him coming back to soon then

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Could it be an anxiety problem?

That would get worse with finals presumably.

But it must be bad if missing finals is the best option.

Longmire's comments sum it up perfectly for me - "Serious but very treatable"

Provided this isn't drug related there is absolutely no reason why with the right treatment that he cannot make a full recovery. But it may take a while and I'd be surprised if he is back this year.

Depression (and let's assume that is what it is) and other mental health afflictions do not need to be a life sentence. But they do need to be taken seriously and treated accordingly. With the right care and the help of a very suppotive environment at the Swans there is no reason why this should curtail his career any more than a torn hammy.

As someone with some personal experience in this area my thoughts are with him as a person now first and foremost...

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast