Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How good Tom Harley?

Veterans List
    Good that we have former captain's involved at the club regardless of where they came from. Impressed with Tom Harley.

Can anyone explain what a "general manager of football" actually is? Assistant coach roles are easy. They're subordinate to the senior coach and often have a sub-specialty e.g. backs or development or whatever. But these 'football' positions that are relatively senior but not the senior coach confuse me. Another is 'director of football' - I assume this is pretty much the same thing as the 'general manager' but who knows? Please explain.

I presume they are involved in high level decisions about list management, recruitment of coaching staff?, perhaps sit on match committee?, general coaching strategy, and, of course, diligently (actually not that diligently) keeping club supporters up to speed with Kizza's hip, AJ's knee and Pap's leg.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Can anyone explain what a "general manager of football" actually is?
    The General Manager of Football has 2 important functions:

1. He decides which injured players' names will not appear on the club's injury list.
    2. If the team is playing on the road and the Head Coach is incapacitated, the General Manager of Football decides who will be the Traveling Emergency.

Sterling work, Ludwig.

You brighten my days. I get a genuine laugh out of your more irreverent moments. The "Y" comment in particular is still making me chuckle. Pity that Tom D. is no longer with us as he proved a wonderful source of material. Truely, things were better when Tom was at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The General Manager of Football has 2 important functions:

1. He decides which injured players' names will not appear on the club's injury list.
    2. If the team is playing on the road and the Head Coach is incapacitated, the General Manager of Football decides who will be the Traveling Emergency.
    and I assume the Director of Football is there to provide guidance and ensure the general manager of football's responsibilities are discharged in a timely and professional manner. With the added responsibility of sending the reminder email to the cheer-squad to make the banner for the upcoming games.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12