Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodes

Veteran Site Admin
    You "have a friend" or "had a friend"?

Quote Originally Posted by poundpuppy View Post
    I have a friend who calls herself a Swans supporter although she couldn't name a single player other than Adam who she always said is her 'favourite'.

We were having lunch the week of 'I Stand With Adam' and I mentioned how great it was that he was getting support and how disgusting the treatment of him was and she then uttered the fateful words 'but he brought it on himself'

I stood up and wrapped my veggie burger in a serviette as the food had just arrived and left ....
    It was interesting to me how the Goodes issue really revealed people's character in the way they responded to it.

On the whole I was able to predict how people would respond with one or two exceptions.

The person I referred to before was so vile in his condemnation of Adam that I really do not feel like being in the same room as him again. Am I over-reacting?

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    It was interesting to me how the Goodes issue really revealed people's character in the way they responded to it.

On the whole I was able to predict how people would respond with one or two exceptions.

The person I referred to before was so vile in his condemnation of Adam that I really do not feel like being in the same room as him again. Am I over-reacting?
    Nope.

I am in a similar situation. Been friends for over 30 years and had lots of disagreements about football and who wins and who lost.

But the conversations about Adam turned very dark during this year and now we don't really talk at all.

A number of conversations centred around the usual topic " its all about him" and "no one else boos other aboriginal players".

In the end I felt that I was justified to take the stance I did and we have just let it all go after we had a final heated discussion about racial prejudice.

We move on.

Did anyone else see him on Open Mike the other week? It was recorded a couple of years ago.

He was so humble and articulate and it just re-enforced why he is a hero of mine. He spoke with honesty and at times disarming humour but what shone through to me was what a sensitive person he is. I imagine this season has been very hard for him.

And as I watched this lovely human being I then turned my thoughts to this season and asked myself, What is there in this humble man that evokes such hatred, such intense white hot hatred ?

And I felt so sad that so the colour of someone's skin can evoke such hatred.

And many of those that booed, bullied and ridiculed him will be there on Saturday at the MCG celebrating the GF and acting as if they are the 23rd man whilst Adam will not, and it is a crying shame that one of our greatest ever players (certainly our greatest ever indigenous player) cannot attend a farewell lap because he is not prepared to be insulted any further.

It is why I am not looking forward at all to this year's GF - I want neither team to win and the only consolation is that whoever loses I will feel a strong sense of happiness. Bitter? , yep but the two clubs in question have no class at all

MP I wish I could remember who actually wrote this, but someone in the media said that Goodsey held up a mirror to ourselves, and we didn't like what we saw.

Accurate as all get out in my opinion.

Some of us had a good hard look, and made a few decisions, some of us (them) decided to shoot the messenger.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Regular in the Side
    It is why I am not looking forward at all to this year's GF - I want neither team to win and the only consolation is that whoever loses I will feel a strong sense of happiness. Bitter? , yep but the two clubs in question have no class at all[/QUOTE]

I agree as a generalization their supporters have NO class.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    I am in a similar situation. Been friends for over 30 years and had lots of disagreements about football and who wins and who lost.

But the conversations about Adam turned very dark during this year and now we don't really talk at all.

A number of conversations centred around the usual topic " its all about him" and "no one else boos other aboriginal players".

In the end I felt that I was justified to take the stance I did and we have just let it all go after we had a final heated discussion about racial prejudice.

We move on.
    The "it's all about him" argument is the stance of one who

a) can't articulate what is wrong with the message someone is trying to get across but, because they don't want to hear that message, focuses on the messenger instead; and
    b) seeks to silence those who draw attention to things they don't want to hear via bullying ridicule.

Their goal is not just to shut Goodes up. but to make sure that anyone else who might think to draw attention to inequities (such as racism) in the future thinks twice for fear that they, too, might be bullied.

Anyone who ever thrusts themselves into the limelight - whether it is by becoming a politician, by speaking out on something that matters to them, or, for that matter, by becoming an actor or appearing on a reality TV show - could be accused of making it "all about them". Of course, it is rarely that one-dimensional.

Pushing for Selection poundpuppy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    You "have a friend" or "had a friend"?
    We've known each other for over 15 years but haven't seen each other since although we did exchange emails afterwards where she tried to defend her position ....
    Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
    And if there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went!

www.paws.com.au

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I agree with liz. The "all about him/her" label is narcissism - not Adam's type at all.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

A Lap Of Honour For Sydney Swans Legend Adam Goodes

- - - Updated - - -

http://m.huffpost.com/au/entry/8230844?utm_hp_ref=australia

Didn't the swans website already do this?

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast