Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodes

Retire #37 for a while

Re-retire #14 if bird goes ... unless Parker wants it ... or until someone worthy pulls the sword from the stone

One of the saddest things about Goodes' retirement is that he's finished his career with the same number of goals as Dermott Brereton. It will be a historical reminder of the racism that leaves a bitter spectacle that ended his marvelous career.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    An absolute champion!
    Such a huge part of the success our club has enjoyed since 2003.
    I have a magnificent picture of Goodesy with my 3 sons at Melbourne airport when the team arrived for the 2012 Grand Final. Going to get it printed off and framed tomorrow.
    Thank you Goodesy for being the footballer and human being we came to love so much.

He deserves a proper send off !!!!

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Hardest part is that he couldn't announce it prior, as well as the booing for his last shot on goal when the game was done.

Magnificent career, even better person. Devastated he won't be out there next season, it is the end of an era. I've been a member since 02 and have ridden the bumps since then. The retirement of Micky, Leo and Crouch a few years back was emotional being at the scg where they got a full lap with the fans after the game.

It's a but crushing that Goodes wasnt able to enjoy the same.

His legacy will far surpass what he achieved on the field I have no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Margo View Post
    He deserves a proper send off !!!!
    He might get a belated one at the first SCG game next season.
    A little time out of the game might allow the boofheads of the AFL supporter world reflect on their disrespectful attitudes. Unlikely that they'll ever realise (or acknowledge) that in bully-booing Goodsey, they might have driven him out of the game slightly prematurely ... his recent form suggests he still had something to offer ... but they might just pull their ugly heads in & shut the #### up & let Adam relish in his much deserved moment of recognition.
    BBBH got his motorcade a little while after he retired.

Greatest Swan ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Greatest Swan ever.
    Agree. I'm sad that he's gone but I had a feeling that he was going to go. I'll never fully forgive the supporters from other clubs who have been so disrespetful. Something about the game in general has gone for now...it may have gone forever.
    I just hope other Aboriginal players have his courage to speak out and not hold back for fear of similar treatment.

Senior Player
    I do hope they retire the number 37, with Goodsey's consent of course, because it is unlikely that anyone will ever be able to fill his shoes again.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Revered as much as Sir Robert Skilton

Perhaps an ADAM GOODES medal would be an appropriate club legacy of the man.???

Thanks from me Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    Glorious then, but I'll have two other abiding memories of him. First, the 2012 Grand Final. Not his finest game statistically, but what he did that day was beyond statistics. On one leg, but still a battering ram who carried us on his shoulders when the game was up for grabs and he was needed more than ever before. Second, the back end of this season, when he conducted himself with such dignity in the face of such cowardly abuse. He transcended sport. Thanks for everything Goodesy.
    Well said. As far as abiding memories go, one little thing that I think demonstrates what a freak athlete he was in his prime, is this. It was a game against Freo at the SCG, when he was still playing ruck. At one somewhat static around the ground ball up, he won the tap easily, by leaping right over the top of Sandilands. Which on the height difference is impressive enough: 211cm against 194cm; which is same as, say, Goodesy rucking against the 177cm Kierin Jack. But what was really impressive was watching it on a slowed down replay and working out high he got up so high. That is, I assumed that he must have put a hand on a shoulder and/or a knee in the back, and more or less climbed Sandilands. But no, the first point of contact, from a standing start, was the shin of Goodes on the shoulder of Sandilands. Truly amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by BRISWAN View Post
    Revered as much as Sir Robert Skilton

Perhaps an ADAM GOODES medal would be an appropriate club legacy of the man.???

Thanks from me Adam
    Yes, or if The Deadlys are revived, perhaps there should be an Adam Goodes medal for the best indigenous footballer?

Or instead of naming stands at the SCG after long gone cricketers, maybe one of our Swans should be recognised. The Adam Goodes Stand?

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast