Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodes

Happy and I know it
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I can't believe this, but the MRP has fined Goodes $1,000 for 'misconduct' against Scott Thompson.

I assume this refers to the alleged kicking incident. I've watched the video replay about a dozen times. Goodes was on his back on the ground and arched his back so that he could roll on to his feet and stand up. If he made any contact at all with Thompson it was the slightest of touches.

It was not a kicking action. To aim a kick he would have had to put his weight on to his buttocks which would then not have allowed him to spring to his feet in the manner he did. The difference in action and weight distribution can be seen by comparing the video of the Lindsay Thomas kick/push off in the previous week.

I'm really angry that the MRP has chosen to give the haters this final ammunition.

"Adam Goodes, Sydney Swans, has been charged with a first offence of misconduct against Scott Thompson, North Melbourne, during the third quarter of the First Semi Final between the Sydney Swans and North Melbourne, played at ANZ Stadium on Saturday September 19, 2015.

In summary, he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea."
    While the fine is relevant to Goodsey, could the Mods please give it its own thread? It'd be nice if this thread was reserved for all the positive & goodes things about Adam (pun intended).

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks Erica - very good article from Stan Grant.

Check out the last photo in the article, near the top left hand corner: a great sight to see.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Adam can't win in his decision to not attend the GF parade and Brownlow.
    If he goes he will get booed 'one last time' and if he doesn't he will be branded a sook.

Veterans List
    Great article from Stan Grant......thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Thanks Erica - very good article from Stan Grant.

Check out the last photo in the article, near the top left hand corner: a great sight to see.
    Thanks for pointing that out. Cheered me up (but just a tiny bit).

Thank god for this thread. Reading comments on any Goodes related Facebook, newspaper or Twitter posts today have left me even more depressed and bewildered about the future of this country.

Like others have mentioned previously, the way Goodes has been treated the last couple of years, and the behaviour of the Hawks fans at the GF last year, has really put a dampener on my love of the game. I used to be so proud to espouse the virtues of AFL over other football codes, I was an AFL evangelist. I've kept my mouth shut this year. Why would I want to promote a sport where "it's my right to boo", "it's not racial, I boo him because he's a flog" (whatever that word means). What a disgrace.

To my hero, Adam Goodes, you have opened my eyes to many issues this year which I hadn't considered before. Thank you. On and off the field you continue to inspire and delight. I hope your retirement from the game can be a starting point for something even greater, both for you and, ultimately, for Australia.

Another great article from Stan (I find it hard to believe he once hosted Today Tonight) - but some of the comments from an intolerant few in the comments section show how far we have to go as a nation in regards to racism. Especially those from one person who seems to think it is up to him to define when something is racist or not (Why can't these fools get it through their head that is doesn't matter what they think in that sense unless the racism is aimed at them) and what the view of aboriginals is, despite clearly being a white Australian.

A long, long way to go - and hopefully Goodesy can keep up the good work of keeping this issue on the agenda in Australian life. We aren't going to solve it by pretending its not a problem.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaKE View Post
    Thank god for this thread. Reading comments on any Goodes related Facebook, newspaper or Twitter posts today have left me even more depressed and bewildered about the future of this country.

Like others have mentioned previously, the way Goodes has been treated the last couple of years, and the behaviour of the Hawks fans at the GF last year, has really put a dampener on my love of the game. I used to be so proud to espouse the virtues of AFL over other football codes, I was an AFL evangelist. I've kept my mouth shut this year. Why would I want to promote a sport where "it's my right to boo", "it's not racial, I boo him because he's a flog" (whatever that word means). What a disgrace.

To my hero, Adam Goodes, you have opened my eyes to many issues this year which I hadn't considered before. Thank you. On and off the field you continue to inspire and delight. I hope your retirement from the game can be a starting point for something even greater, both for you and, ultimately, for Australia.
    This is the point I have really got out of this whole saga. I have never considered myself a racist (and still don't think I have ever been one), had always seen Australia as an inclusive country, and had defended my country against accusations of racism in the past, but at some point during defending Adam and indigenous issues on another sports related forum, I had a frankly tearful revelation that I, for most of my life, have been a casual racist. I have laughed at jokes about 'Abo's", blamed them for wasting welfare, downplayed white peoples role in indigenous history, and suggested indigenous players just move on after on field vilification ie; toughen up etc. While most of this happened earlier in my life and as I've matured I have definitely become broader in my views, some attitudes have lightly remained. WELL, NO MORE!! I have learned so much more about indigenous history and ongoing issues thanks to Adam Goodes. His Australia Day speech made me seek information, and I became enlightened to the truth. This seasons developments have just solidified my desire for true reconciliation and genuine discussion and recognition of said issues that leads to a positive future for all. As someone previously said, "Adam Goodes, you have made me a better man"........and I am indebted to you. That should be enough, but on top of that, your glorious footy career was an incredible bonus gift to us all that we will treasure forever. THANK YOU.......

Spot on. Exactly my sentiments. It has been humbling. He truly did shine a mirror to whit Australia and what looked back isn't something I'm proud of. Onwards and upwards.

I don't know if the Swans players ever read, or are even aware of RWO.
    If they (ie Goodsey) don't, it's such a shame, as there have been some lovely messages & sentiments expressed in this thread, & it's clear that opinions & perceptions have been changed as a direct result of Adam's approach to the game and life.
    On the assumption that Adam might not ever see how he has positively affected & influenced his fans; how much he means to us; how much we will miss him; it would be wonderful if, once this thread has run its course, it could be closed by the Mods, the replies here be printed & bound into a hard cover book (maybe with some pics of him) and sent to him so that one day, when the time is right for him, he can relax back, read our fond thoughts of our beloved champion, and know that he has made a positive & unforgettable difference to so many.

Senior Player
    That's a good idea. The club definitely know about the rwo community especially after the number 37 t shirts for the Adelaide game.

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast