Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Team

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, I'd certainly like to see Rohan having a dash off the halfback flank.
    At this point in time Rohan seems more needed off halfback to add some dash on the rebound. I think Heeney will stay in the forward line for a few years as Hewett, Jones, Mills and Dunkley are more natural inside players and don't offer what Heeney does on the outside. We have lots of players contending for small/mid size forward roles including Towers, Rose, Hiscox, BJ and the veteran McGlynn, and none of them are natural backline players. Our best hope for adding some halfback dash besides Rohan is Nic Newman. Harry Marsh, if retained (and I hope he is), does have the pace and penetrating kick to fill the role, but so far has been working more on the defensive side of his game. And we have to wait and see about the Irishman O'Riordan.

There are some other possibilities for the backline. Macca has played well there before, but wasn't that good last season and doesn't exactly provide much pace; Jones is quick enough, but not in the class of Rohan; Mills played halfback for a while in the reserves and looked okay, but I think Mills will look fine just about anywhere on the ground.

Towers may be the key to it all. If he can keep improving and hold down a forward spot, then it frees up Rohan to play elsewhere. If not, we may need Gazza up forward.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 26th October 2015 at 01:48 AM.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    ..... Talia's inclusion makes our backline look a lot more solid and I like the balance of a back 6 of Ted, Reg, Smith, Rampe, Talia and Jones but don't be surprised in Laidler's rises to the challenge and plays every game either, he is one of the most underrated players in the side and I just love the way he goes about his footy...
    It would be unusual for Talia to not play from the beginning as has generally been the case for new players brought in. I still hope Laids stays in as he definitely turned a corner last year. He plays hard and does not give up. I don't know what we get with Talia but I like what we get with Laids.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    There are some other possibilities for the backline. Macca has played well there before, but wasn't that good last season and doesn't exactly provide much pace; Jones is quick enough, but not in the class of Rohan; Mills played halfback for a while in the reserves and looked okay, but I think Mills will look fine just about anywhere on the ground.
    I don't think we definitely need leg speed more someone with a really good kick. Shaw had speed but often got us nowhere because he would kick it to the opposition. Malceski wasn't necessarily fast but he had a very good, penetrating kick.
    Who on the team can provide that? Macca? Yes. Maybe even Heeney? From what I have seen of his kicking, often to Buddy, he is good. Rohan? I think it would be like going back to Shaw but with better tackling skills.
    Hodge has been one of the best half backs in recent times and he is by no means considered fast.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I don't think we definitely need leg speed more someone with a really good kick. Shaw had speed but often got us nowhere because he would kick it to the opposition. Malceski wasn't necessarily fast but he had a very good, penetrating kick.
    Who on the team can provide that? Macca? Yes. Maybe even Heeney? From what I have seen of his kicking, often to Buddy, he is good. Rohan? I think it would be like going back to Shaw but with better tackling skills.
    Hodge has been one of the best half backs in recent times and he is by no means considered fast.
    I won't disagree with you there. I was in fact thinking of adding a similar line in my last post. I can't decide what the best spot for Macca will be next year. Halfback seems most natural, but he made some terrible kicking blunders this year that I hope was an aberration. Nic Newman is the one that best fits the bill as he's the closest thing we've got to a Malceski. I hope he has a solid pre-season and we give him a go at halfback. It would really go a long way to giving our defence a boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I don't know what the round 1 side will be, but I think this may be the side at mid season:

B: Smith Grundy Talia
    HB: Rohan Richards Rampe
    C: K.Jack Macca Parker
    HF: Heeney Franklin Hannebery
    F: Tippett Reid Cunningham
    FOL: Naismith Mitchell Kennedy
    I/C: Mills Hewett Jones Towers
    emergencies: Lloyd McGlynn Robo, Newman, Laidler Sinclair
    The 3 R's off HB ala reading, riting, rithmatic (just joking with the spelling).

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    I believe Rampe will be given a much more attacking role this year with the inclusion of Talia to the backline.

He has the pace, power, agility and penetration to be an 80-90 metre player coming out of the backline which we will be crying out for given Jetta's absence.

I know he has been somewhat pidgeon-holed to the backline at this stage, but I still think Jones -if he has the tank- will be a great addition to our midfield. He has the raw aggression and attack on the ball/man that will really give us a much harder edge at contests. He is also really clean below his knees - absolutely no reason he can't become a faster, more skilled version of his big brother!
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    I believe Rampe will be given a much more attacking role this year with the inclusion of Talia to the backline.

He has the pace, power, agility and penetration to be an 80-90 metre player coming out of the backline which we will be crying out for given Jetta's absence.

I know he has been somewhat pidgeon-holed to the backline at this stage, but I still think Jones -if he has the tank- will be a great addition to our midfield. He has the raw aggression and attack on the ball/man that will really give us a much harder edge at contests. He is also really clean below his knees - absolutely no reason he can't become a faster, more skilled version of his big brother!
    needs to temper his temper !

I agree with both.
    I would be more confident giving Rampe an attacking/rebounding role than his current more defensive role.

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    needs to temper his temper !
    Don't we need someone who rides that line of almost losing it but not. Hell, Dawks having been jumping over that line for years and it hasn't hurt them.

We definitely need more physical intimidation from our midfield...here's hoping Parker and Jones will deliver for that for the best part of the next decade. Heeney seems to have a bit of it in him as well.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

I think talia will be one of the best pickups of the 2017.

Rampe has improved every single year he has been on the list, despite a few wobbles this season, the only thing with him is if thinks he has made it he may plateau, he needs to feel he is playing for his spot every game.

I think he could also be good off the HBF he has an absolute peach of a left foot

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Rampe has improved every single year he has been on the list, despite a few wobbles this season, the only thing with him is if thinks he has made it he may plateau, he needs to feel he is playing for his spot every game.

I think he could also be good off the HBF he has an absolute peach of a left foot
    Rampe is also really physically strong and hard to tackle, combine that with his sharp turning circle and evasiveness and there's no reason he can't be a real weapon for us in 2016. I just hope the coaches instil enough confidence in him to be able to take the game on, like he used to before he was forced to play on taller opponents.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast