Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big bash lessons for AFL

Big bash lessons for AFL

the big bash is a roaring success in cricket because they have thrown out outdated traditions, made the comp fair (eg. grand final venue), even spread of teams, Shortened game, great coverage and commentators. Leapfrogging the A-league in a single bound.

Some savoury lessons for the AFL traditionalists i think

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    To be fair, T20 cricket has only been around for the blink of an eye in comparison to other sports, and the Big Bash for even less time. It's almost impossible to compare it to AFL.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Its shown there was an untapped hunger for cricket that the traditional competitions werent catering for, allowing competitors an opening to expand into their fan base.

IMHO, AFL with its parocrialism and structural problems is far more vunerable than cricket is now.

Well, the NBL was going to conquer the world in the mid-90s too.

I think it teaches us nothing until it's sustained over a number of seasons. And even so it depends on what you define as "roaring success".

Average Crowds:
    AFL - 33,000 across 206 matches
    BBL - 23,000 across 35 matches

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Its shown there was an untapped hunger for cricket that the traditional competitions werent catering for, allowing competitors an opening to expand into their fan base.

IMHO, AFL with its parocrialism and structural problems is far more vunerable than cricket is now.
    I think you'll find that the BBL crowd figures and television ratings are mainly due to the structure and timing of the tournament. The idea behind having it essentially every night for the entire holiday period was a masterstroke.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Pushing for Selection

The AFL Grand Final is scheduled at the MCG for the foreseeable future.

Part of the grounds re-build was conditional on the GF being at the ground - unsure until when - so the GF is not going to be moved for some time.

I tend to agree with Barry.
    I have many female friends who don't care at all about cricket, until the Big Bash started.
    Still amazes me that it has made so many inroads in such a short time.
    Definitely food for thought for other codes, including more traditional cricket.

I guess in the end the real test is dollars.
    I arrange tv advertising in Canberra over each school holidays.
    Of the three main networks, this year I chose Ten, partly because of air time during the Big Bash.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    I think you'll find that the BBL crowd figures and television ratings are mainly due to the structure and timing of the tournament. The idea behind having it essentially every night for the entire holiday period was a masterstroke.
    I think the opposite. Its over saturated in a way. BBL is successful despite that. Imagine the AFL playing a game every night during the July school holidays. Wouldnt work IMO.

The great thing about the BBL is that its intrinscially fair. You play H&A, each team travels about the same. finals, grand finals are earnt. They dont seem to have stadium deals dictating how the comp is run. They havent chased the pay TV dollar. Ticket prices are at a level where people arent discouraged.
    It does make the AFL look very ordinary in comparison.

I think the opposite. Its over saturated in a way. BBL is successful despite that. Imagine the AFL playing a game every night during the July school holidays. Wouldnt work IMO.

The great thing about the BBL is that its intrinscially fair. You play H&A, each team travels about the same. finals, grand finals are earnt. They dont seem to have stadium deals dictating how the comp is run. They havent chased the pay TV dollar. Ticket prices are at a level where people arent discouraged.
    It does make the AFL look very ordinary in comparison.
    I'm not sure the weather in the July school holidays would be very conducive to large crowds but I'm sure the TV ratings would be off the chart. AFL players obviously need longer between games though as well which makes that kind of thing hard.

I agree that things could be done in terms of equality/fan engagement/ticket pricing etc. but as with most things in life the $$ will always come first unfortunately.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    I'm not sure the weather in the July school holidays would be very conducive to large crowds but I'm sure the TV ratings would be off the chart. AFL players obviously need longer between games though as well which makes that kind of thing hard.

I agree that things could be done in terms of equality/fan engagement/ticket pricing etc. but as with most things in life the $$ will always come first unfortunately.
    I think BBL has shown that not to be true.

In fact its turned on its head everything we've been forced to accept from AFL HQ. They've even shortened the game so they can play more games.

As someone said above, BBL has allowed cricket to tap into a whole new market of casual fans.
    The AFL hasnt done this for ages. If you look at membership (locked in fans) vs crowds, there isnt much difference. There simply arent many casual fans engaged in AFL. This is a very dangerous place to be, and why it is having so much trouble expanding into NSW and QLD.

I generally don't get to the cricket.
    Busy time for me over summer.
    But I went to see the Renegades and the Scorchers at Etihad a week or so ago.
    My wife and 3 of my kids came with me - all of them new to cricket.
    They enjoyed it, but missed the commentary, which is a fair indictment on Ch 10
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I generally don't get to the cricket.
    Busy time for me over summer.
    But I went to see the Renegades and the Scorchers at Etihad a week or so ago.
    My wife and 3 of my kids came with me - all of them new to cricket.
    They enjoyed it, but missed the commentary, which is a fair indictment on Ch 10
    How is missing the commentary an indictment of channel 10?

I'd take it as a compliment to ch 10.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast