Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bombers - gonski !

I think the players have been given bad advice from the beginning. They were told the substances they were taking were safe and approved. They should have checked. That is part of the ASADA/WADA code. Each sportsperson is responsible for what they put into their body. Why at no stage did players not question this and therefore report the Essendon program to the Players Association. Then the club gave them poor advice in telling them to fight the charges. If they had taken an early plea they would still be playing. Mind you the AFLPA has a lot to answer for here too as they should have advised players to take the plea. The AFL only made matters worse with their Kangaroo Court. That judgement was never and still won't pass muster in any court in the land. It was a joke.

The legal team for the players must have been supplied by the club they were so irrelevant. The players have been given suspect advice at every turn. They have been hoodwinked, pressured and maybe lied to by the Essendon football club, their coach, fitness advisers, the AFL, the AFLPA and possibly their legal representatives. These young men let themselves down by not following the ASADA/WADA rules to the letter by not getting clarification of the substances they were taking and their legality. But in saying that the Essendon Football Club was lying to them in telling them they were not taking anything illegal. This is a sorry saga and will go down as the most infamous incident in AFL history. The club should be banned for two years from earning points as a result. Heads should roll at the AFL including McLachlan and Anderson.

Senior Player
    It's going to be interesting when the players sue. Questions that are going to be asked are going to include whether the players were coerced into the program. Did the players get told that only players on the program would get a game? We're they fed a lot of BS about the legality or safety of the substances? We're they told they were being given something else? Why didn't the AFL or the AFLPA act if they knew about the program? Was the AFL providing an unsafe workplace?

This is not over by a long shot!
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Veterans List
    I am with CTS. They got what they deserved. I want to know.....did Hird get paid a $1m, with the AFL sanction, to keep quiet.
    Essendon have form from when they cheated on the salary cap, so could be termed serial cheats.
    The fact that it has come out that the players lied on their declarations to ASADA - on who's advice given it is a group lie.
    Player managers have been rather mealy mouthed about all this in the last 24 hours. How many of them knew and why didn't they blow the whistle.
    The doctor knew what was going on. Why did he just sneak into the background and plead and whinge "client confidentiality" to save his doctors ticket. Talk about lack of integrity.
    And the sleeper; this could go on forever given that it is now proven. Young players coerced (draftees and new rookies) into taking these drugs and the chance that they may contract a fatal or degenerative disease as a consequence. We already know that athletes have died prematurely as a result of taking performance enhancing drugs.
    What hold does Fitzpatrick have over the AFL? This bloke does what he wants. I am not convinced AD acted alone in handling the situation, and believe he resigned his job because he didn't want his future to be compromised by the outcome. It appears to me he probably wanted to handle this differently, but Fitzpatrick and his "money mates" at Essendon and "the clique" over ruled him.
    Blind loyalty? more like dumb stupidity on the players part and pure cheating by the club and coaching staff. I wonder if Mark Thompson will now review his coaching career.
    I hope they get flogged every week. Feel sorry for Craig Bird. Maybe he will now get a pay rise given the massive gap in their salary cap.

Whether it seems fair or not, ultimately the players are the ones who take the field and they are the ones responsible for being clean. If they are misled by their club and end up suspended then they can take action against them.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Whether it seems fair or not, ultimately the players are the ones who take the field and they are the ones responsible for being clean. If they are misled by their club and end up suspended then they can take action against them.
    But the players have been found guilty by the CAS as individuals, which means they are responsible for their own actions and what they put in their own body. I don't understand how on top of those findings that they would have a legal leg to stand on in terms of taking action against the club? They weren't forced to be part of the program.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    But the players have been found guilty by the CAS as individuals, which means they are responsible for their own actions and what they put in their own body. I don't understand how on top of those findings that they would have a legal leg to stand on in terms of taking action against the club? They weren't forced to be part of the program.
    Sounds like they might have been manipulated or coerced. Anyone know if this is the biggest systematic team doping scandal worldwide?

I felt sorry for the players until I read this

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...12-gm4o7u.html

Glad they had the book thrown at them

AND I am a bit surprised that David Zahararkis has not been lauded for doing the right thing and refusing to participate. He must be both more courageous and smarter than his team mates. Bit of a legend really. Every other player had the same choice and declined to do what he did.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

I agree LA. What the CAS report has to say about the players is certainly far from flattering and is more damaging to the players' reputations than what was known before. Also, given the contemptuous way Dr Bruce Reid was treated - not only by Dank and the Essendon coaching staff but also by the players - I am surprised Reid has wished to stay on as the club doctor. (Not a single player thought their weekly injections were worthy of mention to the club doctor, not even one player for whom Reid was his personal GP).

I am so sick of the media pertrail of the players as victims here.

We should be celebrating that the game has removed 34 dig cheats.

"I know they didn't set out to break any WADA and ASADA rules, but the fact is they were putting themselves in a precarious position about how this would be viewed and perceived if someone broke ranks and spoke about it publicly," he said.

Read more: Essendon CAS verdict: Jobe Watson may give AFL away, says his father Tim
    Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Broke ranks and spoke about it publicly?
    This says an awful lot, doesn't it.

I'm seriously glad we didn't take any of their players.
    The players involved all had a choice... yes or no. Unfortunately, the "no" choice was detrimental to the player, i.e. they got little or no game time.
    James Hird is the biggest turd alive.
    If I were a player, I'd be suing him personally, and not the AFL.

The way the AFL said they were not guilty SCREAMS of a cover up. Pity WADA can't fine the AFL for bringing disrepute on sport in general.

If I had my way, Essendon would be banned from the game for two years.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I am so sick of the media pertrail of the players as victims here.

We should be celebrating that the game has removed 34 dig cheats.
    Auto-correct?

"The inventor of predictive text has died.
    His funfair will be hello on Sundial" boom-tish!
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Alex Epis has the right ot it. About time someone from Essendon said what everybody outside the club is saying. he is the sort of person Essendon need at this time to get the club back on track.

Boulder-born Essendon Hall of Famer says supplement scandal has robbed club of its culture - ABC Grandstand Sport (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast