Thread: Leadership group

Leadership group

Welcome Dane, Dan & Heath to the leadership group ... but nearly 1/5th of the list comprise the leadership group??
    I remember when clubs had lists of over 50 players, there was a Captain, Vice Captain and a Deputy Vice Captain & these positions were prestigious & highly coveted. We've got more leaders than Essendon have decent senior players!

I don't mind the shared leadership group. It speaks more of team and shared responsibility. There's no room for complacency either for any of those leaders.

If it means we also have great young mids like Hanners and Parker buy into the Bloods culture for most / all of their careers and draw other youngsters who want to play around them, then so be it.

Leadership group

Just watched the video interviews with each of Dan, Dane and Reg. All were good but In particular I was most impressed with Hannebery. I knew he had a reputation for being talkative but I hadn't appreciated just how articulate and thoughtful he is when he speaks. Another kid who's grown into a man at the Swans I suspect. He will make a very strong contribution to the leadership group I think.

Ps: And he's become a blond I see, including matching eyebrows!

One criticism regarding the video interviews (not the Swans fault by the way).
    I cannot hear the questions from the interviewers. You have to guess what the questions were by the answers.

Ps: I thought Dan was a natural blonde.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    I cannot hear the questions from the interviewers. You have to guess what the questions were by the answers.
    That's something I find really annoying on the videos of press conferences with John Longmire after matches. You can't hear the questions from the reporters, only John's responses so sometimes it's difficult to know what his comments are about. They need to have a couple of mobile microphones to pass amongst the reporters (who are sitting on chairs in the press room).

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    One criticism regarding the video interviews (not the Swans fault by the way).

Ps: I thought Dan was a natural blonde.
    +1
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Welcome Dane, Dan & Heath to the leadership group ... but nearly 1/5th of the list comprise the leadership group??
    I remember when clubs had lists of over 50 players, there was a Captain, Vice Captain and a Deputy Vice Captain & these positions were prestigious & highly coveted. We've got more leaders than Essendon have decent senior players!
    My impression of why we have large leadership groups, is that it encourages a more democratic and communicative atmosphere. That is, instead of like in the old days, where it was more or less what the coach said was law and this law was enforced by the captain, nowadays it relies more on discussion and feedback. And a large leadership group is important for encouraging this communication, because it recognises that there are a variety of different personality types and backgrounds in a club. So in operation, this should mean that if one player has something of a personality clash with one member of the leadership group, it shouldn't really matter, because that player will probably feel perfectly comfortable talking to another member of the leadership group. This should ensure that all members of the playing group, should be giving at least some sort of feedback to the leadership group; who in turn give this feedback to the coaching staff. And this information flow should go the other way as well, with the coach's wishes being passed down via the various members of the leadership group, to players that they have a good working relationship with.
    Well, that's the theory, and I reckon that it works, because on one hand, it tends to discourage dictatorial behavior and on the other hand, it also discourages players who feel that they aren't being listened to, from engaging in petty backstabbing and launching rebellions. And also, a more harmonious team, often has better teamwork, with the team members being more inclined to put their bodies on the line, for others that they get along well with. Personally, I think that installing this management structure, was possibly the main reason why Roosy was able to coach us to the 2005 premiership, with a team that probably wasn't as individually talented as the West Coast, St Kilda and Geelong teams that we vanquished along the way.

Probably a beached bleached blond for summer. Nice and shiny eyebrows..... bit different. He's a natural chatter isn't he. Actually I thought they all did really well, Ramps was doing his best to be cool about it, but I bet he was bouncing around when in the privacy of his home. Its got to be a big deal hasn't it.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood