Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Revved up for Round One: Why we don't like Collingwood

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    An interesting group of players. The Pies were good at recruiting/stealing players who were either over the hill or injury prone.
    True, but my objection is, & always will be, that the Magpies continuously take advantage of clubs in a vulnerable position - pillaging needed talent, giving noting. Actually, like Hawthorn does now.

& imagine if a list was made of the hasbeens we've recruited over the years

Kinnear - no good
    Can't dispute that.
    S Morwood - probably the best. But he just didn't want to go to Sydney.
    Yes, but they stole him when we were in a very weak position.
    Paul Morwood - way past it
    He had a fair final season with them & mostly retired for business reasons. Wasn't their worst ... & (grudgingly) admittedly we had just sacked him earlier that year.
    King - lol
    Alright, but he resurrected his career with Richmond.
    Picken - didn't we pick him up when he was way past it
    Well, yes, but incredibly he became an injury prone way past it with us ... and then they stole him back! The nerve!!
    Armstrong - inspired steal from us
    De-listed. Rookie listed. De-listed. Can I assume you mean "insipid steal"?
    Licuria - he was ok. Played better for them than us.
    Yep, take Rocca and Licuria.
    Smith - over rated with us. Courageous.
    Bionic man. He was a Victorian State Rep. With respect, you mayhaps underrate him? (OK, he was one of my favourites as a little kid)
    Orchard - we got him from Collingwood and they took him back. Go figure.
    They traded him out then stole him back (compare with Hawke below)
    White - Jesse who?
    haha - man mountain ... so much promise ... so little delivered
    Brereton - A hack when he went to them.
    Hack when he came to us.
    Hawke - good average footballer for them. Claim to fame with us was goal of the year.
    They stole him, chewed his remaining best years out of him, then spat him back at us for a final game (compare with Orchard above)
    Teaser - He had a chronic knee injury when we let him go. They were desperate to get him because in 1977 he took more than 20 marks at Vic Park to demolish the great Len Thompson.
    ironically, they stole a past-his-prime Brownlow medalist from us because he demolished a Brownlow medalist ... who came to us past his prime.
    Rocca - he was good for them. Went back for mamma's home cooking. Sook.
    Sliding doors - Plugger/Rocca forward line (joined by Barry Hall) .... sweeeeet! Instead, Collingwood steals Rocca after giving a fair crack at getting Lockett before we signed him.
    David Young - now there was a talented footballer who didn't realise his potential with us because of foot spurs. The Pies had their eyes closed when they picked him up. I remember reading the Herald on Flinders St station on my way home from work, to see that we had recruited this absolute gun from Adelaide
    Was probably just before my time (just got stolen when I became a Swans supporter). He's a fantastic landscaper now!
    Jolly and Mitchell were both good pick ups.
    Jolly ... sure, good pick up ... the man wanted to stay a Swan but Collingwood got word that they could take advantage of his marital difficulties to lure him south.
    Mitchell? Didn't do much for them. Far better with the Blues subsequently. Far, far better with us.
    Last edited by goswannies; 14th March 2016 at 09:50 PM.

Yes, all good reasons why we shouldn't like Collingwood, but I'm afraid that Mitchell getting off again today, made me hate Hawthorn just that little bit more. Like, I'm generally a person who pretty well always goes for the stuff up, rather than the conspiracy; but how on Earth, does Mitchell constantly get off, for blatantly and deliberately assaulting the head of an opponent?

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, all good reasons why we shouldn't like Collingwood, but I'm afraid that Mitchell getting off again today, made me hate Hawthorn just that little bit more. Like, I'm generally a person who pretty well always goes for the stuff up, rather than the conspiracy; but how on Earth, does Mitchell constantly get off, for blatantly and deliberately assaulting the head of an opponent?
    They want to give him the best chance possible to finally win that Brownlow he deserves. I've got some sympathy for players like Boomer and Mitchell, although they will cheat whenever possible, they probably have taken a lot more than they've dished out.

Goes up to 11
    It's not the players I have an issue with. Not even so much the club administration. It's the Collingwood fans. Awful 'people'. Can't stand 'em. Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    They want to give him the best chance possible to finally win that Brownlow he deserves. I've got some sympathy for players like Boomer and Mitchell, although they will cheat whenever possible, they probably have taken a lot more than they've dished out.
    Well, I'm not sure that someone who engages in constant rule bending, interspersed with the odd outbreak of mindless thuggery, really deserves to be the competition's best and fairest?

Well, I'm not sure that someone who engages in constant rule bending, interspersed with the odd outbreak of mindless thuggery, really deserves to be the competition's best and fairest?
    +1

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    +1
    +2

I have wondered what would have happened the Freo last year if the Hawks didn't deliberately illegally target Fyfe? He was never the same last year after Mitchell kneed him in the thigh.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

The fairest part would be in question, but Mitchell has had a career worth a Brownlow. He's up there with the best of them. It's natural for Swans' fans to have a bit of hatred for Hawthorn players, but on merit alone, it's hard to deny that Mitchell has been among the top handful of players of the past decade. He also absorbs a huge amount of scragging and like most players in similar situations retaliates when given the chance, I didn't like what he did to Fyfe, but Brownlow medalists Judd and Goodes have had their regrettable moments as well. And then there's also the likes of Brownlow winners Tony Libratore and Greg Williams. Michael Voss is revered by many, but also took plenty of cheap shots.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    It's not the players I have an issue with. Not even so much the club administration. It's the Collingwood fans. Awful 'people'. Can't stand 'em. Nuff said.
    Much rather Collingwood fans to Hawthorn fans who are on a completely different level of awfullness...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Much rather Collingwood fans to Hawthorn fans who are on a completely different level of awfullness...
    Yep, that's certainly my experience as well. Can't ever recall an issue with Collingwood supporters at the footy. Can't recall not having an issue with Hawthorn supporters.

Collingwood supporters are fun to hate, Hawthorn supporters are real hate.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Collingwood supporters are fun to hate, Hawthorn supporters are real hate.
    True & true. I don't hate Collingwood supporters, as much as I hate the Club.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Yep, that's certainly my experience as well. Can't ever recall an issue with Collingwood supporters at the footy. Can't recall not having an issue with Hawthorn supporters.
    I only began really disliking Hawks supported after the way they behaved from 2014 onwards ... especially one guys in front of me at the Grand Final. Foul mouthed, aggressive & offensive guy in his 20s, mouthing off all day at a guy in his 70s sitting behind him.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast