Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help shape RWO, post your feedback here

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Figured this was the best thread to report issues. I'm currently having problems attaching images to posts. It goes something like this:

- I upload the image and see the number between ATTACH tags
    - If I click "go advanced" I see the image itself in the post
    - when I publish the post, it contains a link to the image but doesn't display the image
    - the next day clicking the link leads to "invalid attachment specified"

Thanks for any insights and fixes you may have!
    I find that if I go back in and edit my post and click manage media (I think) and attach the image again it works. But I then have also delete the original attachment in the post, the one that goes only has a link.
    hope that helps.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I find that if I go back in and edit my post and click manage media (I think) and attach the image again it works. But I then have also delete the original attachment in the post, the one that goes only has a link.
    hope that helps.
    I had this issue before and the solution was obvious but I keep forgetting. Let me try it now. Will edit instructions in if it works.

funny-pictures-StarWars-auto-505391.jpg
    Last edited by Danzar; 12th November 2017 at 04:18 PM.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Ok, so don't use the basic uploader (option in the bottom right of the box that pops up).

Click insert image, click select files, find your file, select your file and click open in the windows box, select 'upload files' then done. It should stay. Let me know if you continue to have issues.

Hi folks

A few modest changes afoot. We have a new banner, and a LIKE button!

I've also merged the AFL general into the RWO swans chat forum. You can now post any footy-related topic in the one forum, be it Swans or not - this means no more graveyard forum! Make sure you select the Swans or general footy (or something else) prefix.

Will keep mucking around a bit. Let me know if you want anything specific

Thus far RWO has eschewed advertising for remuneration.
    Wouldn’t it be worth consideration to help fund the site ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Thus far RWO has eschewed advertising for remuneration.
    Wouldn’t it be worth consideration to help fund the site ?
    Yes, advertising is on the cards. Before that, there are a few things to consider.

Costs
    RWO is probably 50% funded by me and 50% funded by its members (based on the donation drive I did a year and a half ago). It costs about $40 a month to run (used to be $60 before I moved to the new server last month), the occasional stray charge here and there over the course of a year. The new server plus IT support costed about $600, but this was a one-off, the first time I've had to pay this and I know Scott paid about that before me.

All of this is manageable and I have no problems with the finances. That said, I'll put a call out for donations soon It's interesting because some folks like that we all fund RWO ourselves, and I get that....it gives us all a stake in it. I don't own RWO really, I'm just the custodian.

Site issues
    The issues with the site haven't been because of any financial constraints. vBulletin4 is an old platform (released in 2009) that is naturally beginning to exhibit some gremlins despite its patches. It's also no longer supported (i.e. no new upgrades from the one I just did). So I've done a tune up, bought new gear etc, which will give this another year until I move into the next stage of RWO's development.

Next steps
    I'll be moving to a new, modern forum platform as soon as I find one that I'm confident in. I have the choice of just upgrading to vBulletin5 or find another forum provider. So far, the reviews of vBulletin give me little confidence it's the one to stick with. There are a couple of nextGen forum platforms done by other companies that I've been looking at. I like them, but they are not quite evolved just yet. I need to choose the best site that I'm confident will last the next ten years.

At that point, advertising becomes part of the plan (subject to agreement from RWO members). The club has offered to connect their sponsors here, and it wouldn't take much $$ from them to ensure RWO is wholly self-funded in perpetuity. But there's no point targeting sponsors to list on an ageing platform when I can target sponsors for a new platform.

The new branding is a start but the end game is a faster, sleeker, more manageable interface for everyone. Better multimedia support, fun stuff, good chat etc. I really want the wiki to flourish (unfortunately it's clunky under the latest release of VB). Scott and Ugg have put a lot of work into it, it's an asset.

So, fwiw, that's the low down for now

Cheers, Dan.

Thanks for this Dan and for all the $$$ and work you put in.
    Epic. Dunno how you find the time.
    Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Thanks for this Dan and for all the $$$ and work you put in.
    Epic. Dunno how you find the time.
    Well done.
    It's all good, and thank you, happy to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    I'll be moving to a new, modern forum platform as soon as I find one that I'm confident in.
    That's great news. The forum capabilities are showing their age and it will be great to move onto something more modern.

Thanks for all the work, and I know moving to a new platform will be even more.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Please try to stay on topic. Posts relating to local politics (that have nothing to do with football) have been moved to the Open Chat forum.
    Excuse my ignorance, Liz and other mods, but how do you get to Open Chat forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, Liz and other mods, but how do you get to Open Chat forum?
    Go back to the Footy Forums tab, scroll down to ‘Other stuff not footy’ - you’ll find ‘Open Chat’ there.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Go back to the Footy Forums tab, scroll down to ‘Other stuff not footy’ - you’ll find ‘Open Chat’ there.

Clicked on footy forums, got sub forums, didn't include open chat.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast