Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help shape RWO, post your feedback here

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar

Question Help shape RWO, post your feedback here

Hey folks

I'm planning a total overhaul of RWO for next year that will give it a fresh new look, easier interface and more depth content-wise. After many many years in its current format RWO is ready to evolve; but we want to do this the right way, so it doesn't lose the sense of community that sets it apart.

That's where you come in.

My intention is to build an interactive RWO website, with the forum being the main feature of that website, supported by extra content that you would like to access. In this post, I'm asking you first what you want RWO to be. Any idea is welcome provided it is constructive, in that it gives the mods and I something we can deliver, and work with, while fulfilling your primary wishes. Think of this as a clean slate. Tell us what you want, give us a sense of priority, then we'll work on what we can do with what resources we have.

Once we've locked in a direction, I'll then post a call out for volunteers to help manage RWO in different capacities going forward, be it a mod, a content contributor or any other role that is relevant in the new RWO.

To keep this discussion structured, can I ask you to post your ideas by using these headings in your post. I've added guidance on each.

1. Overall website role/purpose
    Right now, RWO is primarily a forum,with a supporting blog and a wiki. What additional roles do you want it to play? Keep in mind what you can already find on the official Swans and AFL sites.

2. Main forum structure
    How can we simplify the categories to maximise engagement and discussion? What's redundant? What's missing?

3. Main forum functionality
    We'll be implementing a simple but effective forum architecture. What functionality and features would you like to see and use?

4. Main website features
    This is about content outside the forum. What would engage you? Video? Pictures? Social section? Swans player contributions (yes, I've asked the question and it is possible).

5. Main website look and feel
    RWO is currently built straight off a vBulletin platform. The new RWO will be a front end website, with an off the shelf forum embedded in that site, alongside additional features as above. We welcome your advice on the user interface, forum platform, presentation ideas etc.

6. Innovative, left field ideas in any area
    We're really interested in any innovative ideas that don't fit any of the above, or at the very least, links to other fan sites around the world that you really like.

7. General comments
    Speaks for itself.

I have met informally with Jenny at the Swans and outlined the broad plan. Jenny relayed on her behalf and that of the Club's that RWO - for itself and for the fact that it is a stand alone fan site - is very important in that it helps them listen to core supporters and manage any issues on their behalf. More importantly, they see RWO as a unique community that embodies the Swans culture and are keen to see it grow and thrive.

Please don't feel like you have to respond now if you haven't thought about what you want. I'll keep this thread active until the end of July. We'll then finalise a plan, communicate it to you and hopefully, with a bit of hard work and some luck, we can all have a new RWO launched for the 2017 season.

Thank you all in advance for your contributions....and go you good Swans!

Cheer cheer

Dan.
    Last edited by Danzar; 25th March 2016 at 01:49 PM.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Thanks for engaging your fellow RWOer's about the direction you/we want the site to take.

It is good to know that the Swans appreciate this community too.

I haven't given any thought to changes, yet, but one issue that has been around for a while is that anything not posted in the "RWO Swans chat" forum, or moved out of said forum, is often considered the graveyard.
    I don't find this an issue as I use the "New post" link. I haven't really considered an alternative but a change in the forum structure may be the solution for others who navigate differently to myself.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Thanks for engaging your fellow RWOer's about the direction you/we want the site to take.

I haven't given any thought to changes, yet, but one issue that has been around for a while is that anything not posted in the "RWO Swans chat" forum, or moved out of said forum, is often considered the graveyard.
    I don't find this an issue as I use the "New post" link. I haven't really considered an alternative but a change in the forum structure may be the solution for others who navigate differently to myself.
    Agreed, and there are ways to do that without affecting the structure too much.

I've been saying for years that the only thing that will make a significant difference is player involvement.
    Easiest way is to present 20 questions, provided by supporters here, emailed to the club for specific players to answer.
    Years ago we were seen as more of an independent forum, but over time I've seen the club draw closer to RWO in many ways.
    When quotes from players are referenced back to this site, the population here grows and everything kind of snowballs.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    Agreed, and there are ways to do that without affecting the structure too much.
    You could probably change the What's New button to be the same as the New Posts button.

Also the front page and many of the linked pages are all in VBA CMPS which is no longer supported, as Vbulletin have their own CMS now.
    So it will probably be a good idea to move off that eventually.

I have 2 suggestions to make:

1. Perhaps we should have a single Match of the Round thread which combines the usual Changes for the next round thread as well as the Game Day thread. Now we have 2 or more threads covering more or less the same subject matter. This would provide a continuity which includes the pregame analysis, in progress game comments and post game analysis.
    2. In addition to the TLM we should have weekly voting for the player that contributes the most by NOT being in the side. We could call it the Paul Chambers Medal the first year, or perhaps the Travelling Emergency Medal (TEM). After this year we could rename the medal for the inaugural winner (Probably the TDM). Medal needs to be presented before delisting announcements begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    [*]In addition to the TLM we should have weekly voting for the player that contributes the most by NOT being in the side. We could call it the Paul Chambers Medal the first year, or perhaps the Travelling Emergency Medal (TEM). After this year we could rename the medal for the inaugural winner (Probably the TDM). Medal needs to be presented before delisting announcements begin.[/LIST]
    It's obvious that this would have to be called the "Ludwig Medal".

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    It's obvious that this would have to be called the "Ludwig Medal".
    Thanks for suggesting that. I was too modest to say it myself.

I like option 2. Option 1 is just too obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I have 2 suggestions to make:

1. ...
    2. In addition to the TLM we should have weekly voting for the player that contributes the most by NOT being in the side. We could call it the Paul Chambers Medal the first year, or perhaps the Travelling Emergency Medal (TEM). After this year we could rename the medal for the inaugural winner (Probably the TDM). Medal needs to be presented before delisting announcements begin.
    2 made me smile but it is just too negative. We don't want to be the supporters that hunt our own.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Whoops, I thought Ludwig was joking with option 2!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe something, like on Tapatalk, that when you "Reply With Quote" it only shows the first half a dozen lines unless you force it to expand.
    I normally isolate the sentence or two that I am responding to but often there are replies that quote numerous paragraphs and are followed by a one sentence reply.
    Over on the Whirlpool forums you get warning if you quote significantly more than your response, so maybe something like that instead?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast