Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Academy Talent for 2016

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    To my mind it comes down to a simple question: Does the AFL want to expand the game in the northern states? If the answer is yes, leave the discount alone. Fiddle with the "banking" of points if they wish, but for the growth of the game, don't alter the discount at this stage.
    +1

The system just needs to be left alone for a while but I do agree with the Riverina zone being a totally unfair concession to GWS and I won't try and ignite that debate again.

I really do think the Mebourne clubs are irrationally paranoid about the strength of the academies. Yes, we've grabbed a couple of good ones but neither Mills or Heeney is way above their elite peers. We've had two decent recruits for many millions of dollars and it would seem highly likely there's nobody worth recruiting for our $1.5m donation to game development that no other club foots the bill for. Of course GWS will get cream of the crop for doing bugger all down there and even less in their own backyard and that is the issue that needs to address. Then again the AFL owns GWS.

I'm genuinely concerned for the game if the best chance for NSW and QLD to really develop is scuttled. If it becomes an AFL plaything rather than a club based project then kids will just drop off. And I know the academy was designed to develop elite talent but the flow on effect to the SFL and QAFL is immense in terms of the quality that will pass down.

The real issue here is Queensland.

We'll still be OK if the system is scrapped, we'll mine our rookie system and our development program for players, our real strength, will remain. And when an academy gun does come along we'll nab him if we feel he is worth it, even if we have to release a player. But there's no way we should fund such a program that gives us such scant benefit.

But the Lions should seriously just shut up shop if the academy system is binned. Their only chance of success now all their other concessions have been taken away is to build a home grown list and this decision, when it happens, will just destroy any hope in that club. When it happens the Brisbane Lions Board, led by Leigh Matthews, should re-sign en masse.

And if there is any decision that sees us losing our discount and the other clubs keeping their then it should be straight to the High Court.

I seriously think this is worth challenging the entire draft for if it gets that stage and I think having a bulldog of a CEO at GWS, dickhead that he is, will help as we really need a united front in this case. And GWS could also look at the national interest of the game and have a think about what the Academy System is for, development of talent and not a recruitment zone.

It's somewhat amusing that it was Collingwood who did the anti-Academy argument no favours at Spotless Stadium yesterday.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    It's somewhat amusing that it was Collingwood who did the anti-Academy argument no favours at Spotless Stadium yesterday.
    Indeed.

And it should be pointed out that the reason for the GWS dominance is largely astute list management and not the Academy system but they see GWS and decide to blame the academy system.

I have more faith in GWS chairman standing up to the vic mafia than what seems like a spineless response from the swans over the last few years.

Gold coast president doesn't seem to be a push over either.

Surely one thing we've learnt over the years is if you don't stand up to them they take more and more.

A look at the 17 NSW kids listed for the Allies makes for pretty slim pickings for the Swans with only Baker from North Shore and Ben Davis who we all know is not tied to the Swans. Usual huge list of border kids and the obligatory Western Jets player.

You'd think we'll only go for two at the draft this year or maybe only one if that is allowed. Therefore you'd say we'd be looking at rookie listing at best

James Bell played well today for a 16yr old in the Neafl semi final for the Swans in the midfield

2.10.99 DOB

Bell aiming to lead Rams to success | Illawarra Mercury

NSW-ACT - AFL.com.au
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

how is Liam Maze going of late ?

"The athletic Liam Maze is another ruck option for the Rams, and is eligible to join the Swans through their academy set-up."

Tall timber on show in 2016 draft pool - AFL.com.au
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

I don't know how Maze is doing, but I posted in the Mitchell thread that I thought we should trade either Sinclair or Nankervis and fill the spot with a rookie ruckman. Maybe Maze is the one. I think Galloway will be delisted. I like the looks of the Sudanese ruckman from NT, Tony Olango.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    James Bell played well today for a 16yr old in the Neafl semi final for the Swans in the midfield

2.10.99 DOB

Bell aiming to lead Rams to success | Illawarra Mercury

NSW-ACT - AFL.com.au
    Is he an Academy player? If so he looks a ready made. He was most impressive and read the play very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Is he an Academy player? If so he looks a ready made. He was most impressive and read the play very well.
    Yes, he's an academy player and he did impress me, too. Especially for a 16 year old playing his first NEAFL game.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, he's an academy player and he did impress me, too. Especially for a 16 year old playing his first NEAFL game.
    I wonder what the thinking was in giving Bell his first NEAFL game in a final? Sounds like he did ok.

I assume given the lack of info from ressie watchers that none of this years academy players will be drafted in the ND but are any likely to be rookied?

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I wonder what the thinking was in giving Bell his first NEAFL game in a final? Sounds like he did ok.

I assume given the lack of info from ressie watchers that none of this years academy players will be drafted in the ND but are any likely to be rookied?
    Yes, it was a slightly strange time for a debut, but I assume that it means that they have a high opinion of his capabilities.
    In regards to youngsters coming through, other people would be much more qualified to answer than me: but of the top ups, Jake Brown is hard at the ball and looks promising, while Darcy Baron-Hay has done well, playing as a KPD against more mature players.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast