Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nomination for our pre-game pump up song

Goes up to 11
    Many of us are showing our age with these song suggestions....

I like Sweet Caroline. It's daggy and fun.

I really hate sweet caroline and am quite at the point where it's ruining my personal game day.

Put the words to "Up there for Sydney" on the big screen. It's more important that everyone know the words to that song.

Sweet caroline is just irrelevant and boring.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Im all for a bit of a Neil Diamond singalong, but I do think he has a time and a place. I thought it was a bit of fun when they first did Sweet Caroline, but Im over it now. It just hasnt been adopted by the crowd in the same way as Port Power's Never tear us apart. Its all a bit half hearted really. Time to try something else - something very Sydney that the crowd can 'own'. Im not sure what that is though...

Sweet Caroline is just SO daggy and is also shamelessly borrowed from the Red Sox, where it at least has some relevance. I like the idea, I would just like us to pick something else that we can make ours. It should be fun and maybe a bit quirky, and not schmaltzy, clich�d or bogan. Preferably also not used by any other major sporting team prominent enough that it looks like we're ripping them off (and yes I know our club song is the Notre Dame Fighting March).

As for suggestions, I don't have any right now, but I'm working on it.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

What we want is a crowd anthem that makes the hair stand on the back of your neck as the home crowd sings pre-game with scarves in the air.

Something to rival Liverpool's "Never Walk Alone" and even Port's "Never Tear us Apart" which I think is awesome too. Must include lyrics that mean something in the fans/players/club relationship.

Not saying these are the best two options but possibilities nevertheless when you think of passionate sing-alongs to the chorus. I'm sure the collective wisdom of RWOers can do better but these might work.

Crowded House's "Don't Dream It's Over"

"Hey now, hey now
    Don't dream it's over
    Hey now, hey now
    When the world comes in
    They come, they come
    To build a wall between us
    We know they won't win""

From the same band Better Be Home Soon" might work.

"And I know I'm right
    For the first time in my life
    That's why I tell you
    You'd better be home soon"

Or,

Hunters and Collectors' "Throw Your Arms Around Me"

"And we may never meet again
    So shed your skin and let's get started
    And you will throw your arms around me
    Yeah, you will throw your arms around me"

Veteran Site Admin
    When did the Sweet Caroline "tradition" start? I think I only became aware of it halfway through last season.

If it had been allowed to die a death at the end of 2015, I think it would have gone down as a quirky little event, specific to a particular season. The fact it has survived into 2016 makes it feel like it's being forced onto the crowd as a regular feature of game day, based on some half-hearted response from a small section of the crowd.

I haaaaattttteee Sweet Caroline being played every game. Someone make it stop!

Blog Entries
    This weekend could be something from Counting Crows??

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Who is Caroline and why is she so sweet?
    Good question! Diamond has both claimed and denied that the song was inspired by Caroline Kennedy.

When I first heard it I was "No, no, no, no, NO!" Then I moved on to "this is so bad it's actually entertaining", but the jokes over now. Good try, but let's move on.

Neil Diamonds not my first choice, but if you have to have one of his songs then I would think something like Crunchy Granola Suite would be better.

Please. No 'rev up' song at all.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    The Marseillaise is pretty good, and bloodthirsty.

Oh, hang on ...
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123