Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 5 Match Day Thread Swans V West Coast 13.45pm SCG.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I was disappointed too, though maybe not totally surprised.

At the ground it sounded muted, coming from just a few areas of the ground but still audible. I don't think I heard anyone around my area booing - indeed many were looking around in surprise to see if they could see anyone contributing. Hopefully the few Sydney fans who thought it warranted have now got it out of their systems'.

To those who say it's part of the game, maybe it is. But it's a part of the game that reflects poorly on those who choose to participate, regardless of why they are booing. I think aardvark summed up why perfectly.
    +1

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    I couldn't believe it when I heard it on the radio. Disgraceful. Maybe a bit of a boo when he's lining up on a shot at goal to put him off can be understood but it sounded like it was a lot more than that.
    It pretty half-hearted, almost as people thought it was somehow expected of them. Not sure I saw the point.

'Sydney chairman Andrew Pridham has labelled the booing of Lewis Jetta by Swans fans as "inappropriate and disappointing" but not in the same "stratosphere" as the racially-charged treatment of Adam Goodes last year.'

Read more: AFL 2016: Sydney Swans say booing West Coast Eagles star Lewis Jetta not racist

At the ground it sounded muted, coming from just a few areas of the ground but still audible. I don't think I heard anyone around my area booing - indeed many were looking around in surprise to see if they could see anyone contributing. Hopefully the few Sydney fans who thought it warranted have now got it out of their systems'.

To those who say it's part of the game, maybe it is. But it's a part of the game that reflects poorly on those who choose to participate, regardless of why they are booing. I think aardvark summed up why perfectly.
    Facebook is full of the booing complaints.
    In the end, my question was do you boo umpires?" after a bad decision, of just for fun or for whatever reason.
    Is it ok to boo umpires?
    Can't have it both ways.

Sadly, it comes off looking like 'well to do' Swans supporters who picked up supporting the team in the last 10 or 20 years, are Sydney based and insular to how the game was and still is to some degree in Victoria.

I know the game has matured, but there are still grass roots, generational attitudes.
    Standing in the outer at Victoria park watching South Melbourne vs Magpies was very different to how it is now. Police everywhere breaking up fights etc
    Some things take longer to change. And some things are simply part of the atmosphere whether you agree with them or not.

I don't boo, but I have no issues with Jetta getting a serve, just like I didn't mind Tippo getting a MUCH bigger serve last week.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

I too was disappointed by the booing of Jetta. And also surprised - there was no booing of Malceski when he played at the SCG - in fact he was cheered by the crowd in the Members Stand as he left the ground at the end of the match.

But the Jetta booing was pretty mild and it was only by a small minority of the crowd. It was nothing like what Tippett had to endure last week. I had to shift seats at the Adelaide Oval as I couldn't stomach the abuse being hurled at Kurt by the men sitting next to me.

Yes, Liz, watching the TV coverage (via my phone), the booing did seem to be only coming from a noisy minority. Certainly nowhere near the frothing at the mouths display that was dished up to Tippo last week. But of course, as far I know, there wasn't any media types whipping up any hatred against Lewis.
    And I do wish that those who were behaving in such a tedious and childish manner, would actually take some notice of the values, that the club management has been constantly talking out.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    On a more cheerful note, has anyone else had trouble getting the highlights on the club site? It's available on the AFL site but apparently not ours.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

A few observations

- I personally don't boo.

- I don't begrudge reasonable booing (although this is quite subjective)

- it's conceivable Mal wasn't booed as he wanted to stay & Sydney's offer couldn't match GC's

- or that he was past his prime & wasn't felt as a massive loss

- IMO booing any player having a shot at goal is ok. I don't do it, but I don't find it offensive

- I would hope that booing of Jetta doesn't estrange a premiership player from the club (I'm sure it won't)

- could hear booing of Jetts on the TV

- it wasn't on the scale of Goodes or Tippett. But if Swans supporters are still booing Jetta in 3 more years then I'd be embarrassed!

(I have a low opinion of so many Crows supporters who can't let go of Tippett. Those SA morons forget a few things: 1) the Crows got in trouble because of 3rd party payments that Steven Trigg & Bruce Reid organised to get extra money to Tippett, 2) Tippett wanted to leave the Crows before those 3rd party payments were made, the Crows were hoping that throwing enough money at Tippett would convince him to stay for the long term - fail, 3) once he wanted out, he was under no obligation to "return home" - that might've made it palatable to Crows fans, but that's their problem 4) SA media are as pathetic as Adelaide supporters, whipping these sad, sad supporters into an ignorant frenzy, 5) many Adelaide seem to have an inferiority complex, thinking that the entire eastern seaboard is against them - they can't comprehend that the eastern dwelling people simply don't care about what happens in Adelaide)

- Jetta looks like he might have put on a little weight?

- Lewis also looks to have lost a little of that cheeky boyish charm he had wearing red & white ... I'm hoping he really missed us & returns to the fold (like Laurie Nash, John Rantall, Paul Hawke, Paul Morwood, Warwick Capper all did)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    A few observations

- Lewis also looks to have lost a little of that cheeky boyish charm he had wearing red & white ... I'm hoping he really missed us & returns to the fold (like Laurie Nash, John Rantall, Paul Hawke, Paul Morwood, Warwick Capper all did)
    Lewis has a lot of family here in WA so it is really inconceivable for him to return to the Swans unless he was offered big, big money for his next contract (unlikely) or he was going to be delisted by the Eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Lewis has a lot of family here in WA so it is really inconceivable for him to return to the Swans unless he was offered big, big money for his next contract (unlikely) or he was going to be delisted by the Eagles.
    True but he has a "Swans family" in Sydney who would - I'd hope - welcome him back. A lot of people have big families & move away & cope. But I'm mostly hoping against hope that it might occur. Still, I don't think we miss him as a player so far, just as a pleasant young man who had talent.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    A few observations

- I personally don't boo.

- I don't begrudge reasonable booing (although this is quite subjective)

- it's conceivable Mal wasn't booed as he wanted to stay & Sydney's offer couldn't match GC's

- or that he was past his prime & wasn't felt as a massive loss

- IMO booing any player having a shot at goal is ok. I don't do it, but I don't find it offensive

- I would hope that booing of Jetta doesn't estrange a premiership player from the club (I'm sure it won't)

- could hear booing of Jetts on the TV

- it wasn't on the scale of Goodes or Tippett. But if Swans supporters are still booing Jetta in 3 more years then I'd be embarrassed!

(I have a low opinion of so many Crows supporters who can't let go of Tippett. Those SA morons forget a few things: 1) the Crows got in trouble because of 3rd party payments that Steven Trigg & Bruce Reid organised to get extra money to Tippett, 2) Tippett wanted to leave the Crows before those 3rd party payments were made, the Crows were hoping that throwing enough money at Tippett would convince him to stay for the long term - fail, 3) once he wanted out, he was under no obligation to "return home" - that might've made it palatable to Crows fans, but that's their problem 4) SA media are as pathetic as Adelaide supporters, whipping these sad, sad supporters into an ignorant frenzy, 5) many Adelaide seem to have an inferiority complex, thinking that the entire eastern seaboard is against them - they can't comprehend that the eastern dwelling people simply don't care about what happens in Adelaide)

- Jetta looks like he might have put on a little weight?

Great post GS. I particularly agree with all your comments about the attitudes to Tippett in Adelaide. As someone who grew up in Adelaide I share all those views.

(As an aside, I turned to the man sitting next to me last week and asked him why they were booing Tippett while they thought Betts, who came to them from Carlton, was a hero. Now I was aware there were several reasonably logical answers he might have given me - but his only rationale was that Betts was a South Australian!)

Re Jetta - I might be completely wrong but I always thought that Goodes was a big mentor for Lewis and I always thought that with Jetta's contract coming to an end at the same time as Goodes retiring we would lose Jetta. But Goodes was a wonderful leader on the field, always giving direction and support, and I wonder how much Jetts might now miss that?

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast