Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 7 V Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I see Rose as forming part of a relatively long term block of decent squad players that provide good depth for the senior squad and provide a strong NEAFL side, both of which are important. Unlike many clubs I think we really value stability in the squad and by being not too ruthless we allow development. And provided these guys don't mind being paid relatively modestly and are good professional role models for new players then I think the club provides patience.

I see Towers, BJ, Rose and Nankervis in this category, I don't think they'll ever play a heap of senior footy and I'd be worried if they were in our finals teams but they'll do a job when required during the season. It's part of the re-building of our depth that is seeing our ressies going really well again after a couple of years where we struggled just a little
    I think Rose will play a lot of senior footy - be it at the Swans or somewhere else. There is something about him, but he needs to be patient, and we need to be patient when he gets another chance. The kid can play good footy.

The other three I agree to some extent - although I truly think BJ must be at huge risk of getting the chop sooner rather than later.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Pretty straightforward this week:

Smith in; Jones out, thought Zak did OK but think he'll be in and out all year and probably get 10-14 games this year and really push for a regular spot next year.

If Sinclair is in any doubt at all then don't risk him and give Nankervis another go as he is coming along nicely as our third ruckman but we must be kicking ourselves that GWS took Lobb ahead of our second rounder that draft.

AA will be better for the run and I believe that our debutants are usually virtually guaranteed a spot for at least a couple of weeks to ease the first game nerves and he did quite well. McVeigh stays (early contender for dumbest idea of the year for dropping him) as does Papley. I'd like to see Hewett have a good four quarters this week, he's coming along nicely and he will be a good long term player but right now he'll be making way for Sam Reid when he is fit again.

Rohan needs at least another couple of weeks in the twos but whose spot would he take? No way can you drop Lloyd and I'd almost say the same for Robbo who are two easy targets, Maybe Hewett, I really find it hard to find a spot for him at the moment so he might be there in the NEAFL for longer than we think.
    I agree with all of this.

Those advocating that McVeigh be dropped have short memories. He's a very smart player and will keep getting better over the year. He's earned a bit of patience.

Jones seems to have improved his propensity to concede free kicks against, but his general play has not really improved. He's not a naturally good decision maker and still handballs into trouble more than most. Best when he runs - his straight line running is impressive and could be important.

Interesting that Hewett followed a game in which he had a storming second half with a game when he had a storming first quarter. A confidence or fitness issue, perhaps? He kicks really well.

Mills' courage is super impressive. Flies at the ball. Hard nut. Evidently ambitious - wants to be dominant, will be.

Robinson has done OK, but I am not convinced. It still feels like he doesn't feel he belongs. He's first out for Rohan, in my view (although not this week).

Very pleased for Aliir and he was composed with the ball (which Longmire noted post game was his strength), but conspicuously did not attack the contests. That's understandable in his first game, but will need to lift his intensity considerably.

Final word for Rampe. He's clearly improved again this year and has been our best defender in several games. Hardly ever beaten one-on-one, sticks his tackles, runs away from most forwards, and his kicking is more reliable (and long). He's our second most important defender to Grundy.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Will Sinclair be ok? Will Smith be ok? Will Rohan be back? Is McVeigh getting a game purely on reputation? Should Lloyd be dropped? Do we need Papley and McGlynn in the same team? Does Aliir get another game?

Outs. Sinclair, Jones, and ?
    Ins. Nankervis, Rohan, Smith.
    he be ok in Independence Day.
    He be excellent in Ali
    He be crap in After Earth

Admittedly, I underestimated Brisbane and wasn't expecting such a close game. They brought their best for that game. Their midfield is really quite good when they're all in form, and they were. That being said, I don't think playing Aliir and Jones hurt us much, although you would expect that our regulars would have been better. I am still looking at the Essendon as another opportunity to develop players. Especially at home, I can't see any risk in this game.

I suspect the Jones was dropped, in part, for giving away 6 frees in 3 games. I noticed he was clean in that area. I would imagine that the instructions for both Jones and Aliir were not to do the spectacular, but to play a solid game and not to give away any silly frees and both did that quite well in that regard.

Of the under-40 gamers group, I would put Hewett just behind Heeney and Mills as the one most likely to be an A Grade player and he would the last one dropped from the side, all other things being equal.

I wouldn't mind giving Nanka another game even if Sinclair is okay, but perhaps Sinclair needs an opportunity to step up a bit and recapture his early season form.

Rose looks a likely type and seems destined for a senior position some time down the road. It's a bit difficult now with us pushing midfielder into the forward line or back line because we already have a full midfield. Rose was given some time in the midfield in one of the NEAFL YouTube games and looked very good. It's hard to know when he will be given some more senior games and at whose expense.

I would have like to see both Rohan and Reid get a senior game before Rounds 9 and 10 when we play Hawthorn and NM, but that time frame is looking very tight at the moment, especially for Reid.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I agree with all of this.

Those advocating that McVeigh be dropped have short memories. He's a very smart player and will keep getting better over the year. He's earned a bit of patience.

Jones seems to have improved his propensity to concede free kicks against, but his general play has not really improved. He's not a naturally good decision maker and still handballs into trouble more than most. Best when he runs - his straight line running is impressive and could be important.

Interesting that Hewett followed a game in which he had a storming second half with a game when he had a storming first quarter. A confidence or fitness issue, perhaps? He kicks really well.

Mills' courage is super impressive. Flies at the ball. Hard nut. Evidently ambitious - wants to be dominant, will be.

Robinson has done OK, but I am not convinced. It still feels like he doesn't feel he belongs. He's first out for Rohan, in my view (although not this week).

Very pleased for Aliir and he was composed with the ball (which Longmire noted post game was his strength), but conspicuously did not attack the contests. That's understandable in his first game, but will need to lift his intensity considerably.

Final word for Rampe. He's clearly improved again this year and has been our best defender in several games. Hardly ever beaten one-on-one, sticks his tackles, runs away from most forwards, and his kicking is more reliable (and long). He's our second most important defender to Grundy.
    The one thing Jones gives us is some genuine mongrel. Maybe we take his big bro into account too much, I don't know, but I think he will be a good player for us. Perhaps not a star but a player that can have a very successful AFL career with us.

Very very happy with Rampe this year, he had a period last year where he seemed to stall but he's gone to another level this year and he is super super consistent, I just love his story and I hope we give him a little upgrade and an extra year on his deal if he continues on like this because I'd hazard a guess and say he is being paid a lot less than some of his peers

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    ]The other three I agree to some extent - although I truly think BJ must be at huge risk of getting the chop sooner rather than later.
    He's signed until the end of next year so he's pretty safe till then but you'd expect some improvement to be kept on. Last year he had a spell where I finally thought he was going to make it.

He still may, he's still quite young and he's got a decent engine which is a good sign. I'd see him as a run with style player and I can see there being a return of that type of player with the increased emphasis on fitness. Time will tell I guess

I genuinely think Nankervis is in career best form. Looking pretty solid at the moment and seriously wouldn't mind playing him, but can't see him getting any better.

Veterans List
    Still think there's a place for taggers and BJ could make a good one. Thought Zorko should have been tagged at the weekend, cut us up.

Essendon away from home shouldn't be any danger, think selection this week will reflect that, maybe rest Mills as he is only young and plays a crash in in type game, if Smith is right to return.

Aliir will feel more relaxed this week and hopefully we put a space on Essendon early so there is less pressure.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I genuinely think Nankervis is in career best form. Looking pretty solid at the moment and seriously wouldn't mind playing him, but can't see him getting any better.
    Who knows - but he is a 21 yo ruckman who has shown development every year so far, so I'd be a bit more positive about his chances.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Rose probably deserves a game but that would give us 3 small forwards.

Rose is not a medium forward. He is a marking option as well as crumber. Plays far differently to Papley or Benny. They are both ground, in and under players. rose uses his pace to lead to the ball as a lead up forward and he can be used on a wing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post
    Outs: Sinclair, Papley

Ins: Nankervis, Rohan

Notes:

Papley can find and win the ball, but his disposal is not AFL grade. He is fortunate that he is playing for a team that is rated as a top 6 contender. He needs to improve his disposal by hand and foot.

Rohan gives more presence in the air and is more versitile than Papley. We also have the option of swapping McVeigh and Rohan between the forward and back line.
    Rohan has had a half of footy in the reserves. Papley just came off kicking 2 goals and getting the Rising Star award against Eagles and you want to drop him. Christ you're harsh. His disposal is just fine thanks, better in fact than most of our more experienced players. Look at the stats Luke. Papley gives us something up forward we haven't had since Benny went to the mids and he is averaging more goals than Benny did when playing forward. I don't care how versatile Rohan is, does he average 1.3 goals per game? No he doesn't. Oh and his disposal is seen as iffy. As for the call on big Nanka isn't that a bit early. Sinclair might just have some bruising and could come up yet. Patience.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Rose is not a medium forward.
    I didn't say he was.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast