Thread: The Good Old Days

The Good Old Days

How I long for them!
    I started going to the Swans matches when they first moved to Sydney, not as a supporter as I followed a different team in those days, but because it was just great to go to the footy.
    It took me a few years to convert & convert I did.
    Though the 80's & 90's,with the exception of the aberration of 96,it was great. I had no expectations & if they had a win it was like winning a premiership.
    Most of the time I was happy if they put up a decent fight. Probably the highlights of that era was the win to break the 23 game losing streak.
    The celebrations at the end of that match are what I assumed successful club followers were used to.
    Then the most successful era in the clubs history arrives & with it a complete perception change.
    Now I expect them to win every match & when, like last night, they lose I'm bloody well devastated!
    I hate it! I feel totally helpless & this leaves me mentally exhausted.
    Why can't it be like it was. Accepting both defeats & victories with a serene calmness.
    I remember wishing back then how great it would be if we were one of the power clubs of the comp.
    Well you know what they say. Be careful what you wish for you may just get it!

Quote Originally Posted by chrispy2808 View Post
    I remember wishing back then how great it would be if we were one of the power clubs of the comp.
    Well you know what they say. Be careful what you wish for you may just get it!
    The absolute joy of going to school on a Monday during the 60's, 70's after a win. It rarely happened but boy was it good. Bobby Skilton was God. It's a whole different story now.

I couldn't be happier with our current situation. It sure beats 1994. Sheesh.

Although I know where you're coming from. My weekly flip-outs, wall punches and blood curdling screams of pain are beginning to annoy my gf and scare the neighbours. Also I think it's bad for my health.

I almost broke a toe a night ago against the Tigers attempting to drop punt the sofa across the room.

We've become very spoilt as swans supporters. And I'm the most selfish one of all. All I want is a season where we don't lose any games and for Mitchell, Hodge and Puppolo to have their heads kicked in. Am I asking for too much?

Long Term Injury List
    Thought I would throw this one into the mix.

You couldn't find a more ardent Swans follower than my Dad (86yo). He was at the game on Friday night with my son and has just spent his usual Monday at my place watching the replay. He does this win or lose.
    My Dad's view of the game was that while there were mistakes made throughout the game and the first half was at times frustrating it was great. �t was on for young and old in the second half. He loves a contest and said he wouldn't have missed it for quids whoever won, although he would prefer it was us.
    The idea of watching a game for the contest as well as to support your club is something that I believe some people aren't able to do. It's either watch your team win or get upset if they lose. I guess my dad has still seen more losses than wins over his 80yrs of following the Swans so that side of things doesn't phase him much. Winning is still a bonus not an expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    Thought I would throw this one into the mix.

You couldn't find a more ardent Swans follower than my Dad (86yo). He was at the game on Friday night with my son and has just spent his usual Monday at my place watching the replay. He does this win or lose.
    My Dad's view of the game was that while there were mistakes made throughout the game and the first half was at times frustrating it was great. �t was on for young and old in the second half. He loves a contest and said he wouldn't have missed it for quids whoever won, although he would prefer it was us.
    The idea of watching a game for the contest as well as to support your club is something that I believe some people aren't able to do. It's either watch your team win or get upset if they lose. I guess my dad has still seen more losses than wins over his 80yrs of following the Swans so that side of things doesn't phase him much. Winning is still a bonus not an expectation.
    I can do it when it doesn't involve the Swans - but not when I have a vested interest in the outcome! Maybe when I'm 86 I can be like your Dad
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    I couldn't be happier with our current situation. It sure beats 1994. Sheesh.

Although I know where you're coming from. My weekly flip-outs, wall punches and blood curdling screams of pain are beginning to annoy my gf and scare the neighbours. Also I think it's bad for my health.

I almost broke a toe a night ago against the Tigers attempting to drop punt the sofa across the room.

We've become very spoilt as swans supporters. And I'm the most selfish one of all. All I want is a season where we don't lose any games and for Mitchell, Hodge and Puppolo to have their heads kicked in. Am I asking for too much?
    Well, I would prefer it if that trio ended up in jail, but I'm a fairly passive person. Except when watching the Swans get done, both on the scoreboard and the free kick count. Which probably leaves the neighbours wondering why I'm having a domestic with myself.

Veterans List
    I remember the 60's and 70's also. I can tell you it is great watching a team now that gives you a run for your money every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I remember the 60's and 70's also. I can tell you it is great watching a team now that gives you a run for your money every week.
    I didn't know you were a Carlton supporter.

It was a great time growing up in the outback. When World War II broke out both my parents joined the army and where sent to England. My sister was already 6 and quite capable of looking after me and our dog Eddie. She would milk our goat, Hiscox Towers, every day and thanks to them we did just fine until the war was over. It's a funny name for a goat, I know, but the poor thing fell from a building onto my fathers' head when he was visiting New York. The building was later bought by the father of US presidential candidate Donald Trump from real estate developer Harry Hiscox. After the purchase the building was renamed. Some called it an attempted suicide, some say she was pushed. I guess we'll never know. My father and the goat both were unconscious, but there wasn't a concussion rule in those days and no one called for a stretcher. New York can be a hard place sometimes. They both recovered and my father took the goat back with him to Australia.

Yep. Them were the Good Old Days.

My sister and Hiscox Towers:

Your fathers head was possibly the last target Hiscox successfully hit.....

Senior Player
    Aaahhh yes, the halcyon days.... turning up for the last game for 1992 season at the SCG against Fitzroy by myself and realising that things had degenerated to
    the point that tickets were now 2-for-1. Fortunately a Brit tourist approached me in the line and suggested we go halves in a ticket. Unfortunately he decided he should sit next to me as well and spent the next three hours asking me to explain the rules of the game. We lost of course. Then there was losing from 48 points up five minutes into the last quarter against St Kilda in 1994. Going to another game against Fitzroy in Melbourne and my then one year old son fell over and grazed himself on the gravel behind the goals and all the Fitzroy fans nearby burst out laughing at him. Those were the days.