Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rd 16 v Geelong

Veteran Site Admin
    Limit the influence of both Selwood and Dangerfield and you go a long way towards beating Geelong. (You also have to be smart about how you deliver the ball forward - long aimless kicks will almost always be picked off by the Geelong defence. Collingwood and Carlton succeeded by working the ball short and pinpointing targets inside 50m with shorter kicks.)

It's hard to put a hard tag on two players nowadays as it messes too much with structures, but you can still get away with tagging one player. I'd rotate Towers and Rohan through a hard tag on Dangerfield. They are the only two players with the size and speed to go with him. They probably lack the smarts, but they both struggle to stay in the game consistently anyway, so even if they just trail him around and apply pressure, we won't lose much on possessions. They might learn something about where to run. It's questionable whether either can tag him at centre bounces, so something different might be needed there.

Any of our slower mids should be able to go head to head with Selwood. He's a good player but he doesn't have any physical attributes that Parker, Mitchell or Kennedy don't have.

If you tag selwood it needs to be with someone short who can negate his duckling.

But seriously. Mitchel to tag danger will be enough.

I don't think we have the player to tag Dangerfield. Certainly Towers is not known for his defensive pressure and Rohan needs to be tethered to the forward half to give us some kind of forward structure. The one option could be Zak Jones in terms of having the leg speed to go with him, but he's still a little too hot headed for that role. I suspect we'd be more likely to have Mitchell negate Selwood, then rotate mids against Dangerfield. I can't recall Danger ever really tearing us up, but it's possible I've blanked it out of my memory..

Regular in the Side
    Agree with Papley for McGlynn. That horrible attempted short pass after he marked dead in front 40 meters out sealed it for me. Cost us a near certain goal.
    Nankervis is too slow to keep up with Blicavs so bring in Naismith who could outbody him.
    Rohan went walkabout after quarter time against the Dogs. Seven disposals for one behind is not good enough for our full forward. A bit left field but I would replace him with X who has been looking good in the NEAFL. I don't expect this to happen though.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Rohan went walkabout after quarter time against the Dogs. Seven disposals for one behind is not good enough for our full forward. A bit left field but I would replace him with X who has been looking good in the NEAFL. I don't expect this to happen though.
    No way in the world should we be replacing Rohan - he's one of the few players who can make a difference. Against the Dogs he had an impressive start in the forward line before being shifted down inside defensive 50, where he vanished.

Great leap and grab, extremely quick, and lives for forward pressure. We need to put him forward and leave him forward.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I agree with ^
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Hope he is not affected mentally by whatever this is, if indeed it's anything.

Sydney Swans captain Kieren Jack and brother Brandon in bitter dispute with parents Donna and Garry
    Thats pretty sad but from the stories I have heard of dad Garry, especially in his playing days, i dont blame both of them for distancing themselves from him. This is the guy who had a go at Ian Roberts during a kangaroo tour for being gay and he wasn't to found of non aussies as well and didnt like Benny Elias at all. Maybe its a combination of all things and the jack brothers have had enough of him. Also i recall Donna in the 90s owning a sports store which sent them broke and stressed the @@@@ out of her and she came out in the media and played the vcitim over a dispute she had with a supplier..it was a long while ago i recall.

Anyway sad but she shouldn't be airing dirty laundry on social media.

Quote Originally Posted by bungwahl View Post
    No way in the world should we be replacing Rohan - he's one of the few players who can make a difference. Against the Dogs he had an impressive start in the forward line before being shifted down inside defensive 50, where he vanished.

Great leap and grab, extremely quick, and lives for forward pressure. We need to put him forward and leave him forward.
    Rumour is Geelong are looking into Rohan. Hope he stays.

We need another defender and I would go with Alir... If Longmire ever takes Rohan out off forward line again then he can go

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    If you tag selwood it needs to be with someone short who can negate his duckling.
    Yep, that duckling can be a damn nuisance - nasty, fluffy, quacking little thing.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    Yep, that duckling can be a damn nuisance - nasty, fluffy, quacking little thing.
    Those cats love their ducklings.

Lisa's observations are on the money for this game

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast