Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rd 16 v Geelong

Senior Player

Changes for Rd 16 v Geelong

I'm surprised this thread didn't already exist...

The loss to the Dogs makes this game and the next even bigger than they already were. Absolutely critical for our top 4 aspirations that we win at least one of them.

I admittedly was only able to watch the first half on the weekend, so may well have missed some important things. Nonetheless, I think we need to bring Papley in and maybe Ted. I assume Rose would be the one most likely to make way for Papley, though I notice McGlynn's numbers were way down. I seem to recall him attacking the contest early, but not making the most of his opportunities and it looks like he barely touched it in the second half. Not sure what happened there, but sure someone who saw the whole game will be able to fill me in. I wonder if Franklin handing McGlynn the goal he should have early on would have set up Benny for a better game? Could have been the confidence booster he needed.

As for Ted, I have no idea who we would drop to make way for him. I imagine his experience could be handy, but our back six has been going generally pretty well without him this year (the only team to have conceded less than 1000 points so far)

Ins: Naismith, Papley, Richards
    Outs: Nankervis, Rose, McGlynn

Would really like to see Heeney back up forward and not in the midfield. He seems so much more comfortable and damaging up there with Buddy and I think to do that you'd have to get rid of Rose unfortunately for team balance. I'd move Jones for some more midfield time.

Does Tom Mitchell go to Dangerfield?

Also we need another big forward. Is Sam Reid ready? He'd probably need a run in the twos

IN: Sweet Caroline

(See how they like it.)
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Also we need another big forward. Is Sam Reid ready? He'd probably need a run in the twos
    At least another week away from playing NEAFL.

I don't think we necessarily need another big forward, we just need another goal scoring option. Heeney only has 2 goals in the last 6 games, Sinclair/Nankervis can barely eke out 1 goal between the pair of them, Rose has done some nice things around half forward but hasn't hit the scoreboard and Rohan gets shuffled back and forth between the forward and back lines.

I think if Papley gets the nod this week he can help in this regard, particularly if we keep continuing to bomb blindly to the forward line.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Papley must come into serious consideration but Horse seemed to think he may need more time in the reserves, I don't think he played the full game on Saturday. Unfortunately I agree that Rose would be the player to make way. Benny hasn't got the skills of Rose but v Geelong he would have more grunt and possibly speed?

If Ted is not up for it, I would take a risk and play Aliir. We do need another tall player, whether in defence or around the ground. It may depend on rest of the year plans for Ted. If he is a few games away it would be good to integrate Aliir now rather than leave it till later. I know the backline has been coping quite well as is, but it requires such a commitment from the mids to drop back and help out or as on Saturday Rohan dropping back as well. We are not getting such an array of goal kickers as a result.

Rohan has got to be kept up forward. Reid isn't ready.

While Sinclair and Nankervis were pretty ordinary around the ground and up forward on Saturday has Naismith shown enough in the reserves yet to make us think he would be much better?

Ins: Naismith, Papley, Aliir, Davis
    Outs: Nankervis, Sinclair, McGlynn, Heeney

Nanka and Sinclair offer little in the ruck although Nanka is okay at ground level. Both are poor in marking contests. Nanka will probably improve once he learns how to use his body to control space, but is not there yet. Naismith is our best tap ruckman and has good hands and probably the quickest of all the ruckmen, and perhaps the best kick for goal other than Tippett. It's not like he's replacing experienced ruckmen. He's a good physical matchup for Zac Smith and probably has played against him in the reserves at some time, although I haven't checked this out.

Davis to come in for the out of form Heeney to offer a bigger marking option forward. He will also do the relief ruck role. Overall is a better option than Sinclair or Nanka. Davis has spent time in the ruck and midfield in the reserves. It would be a tough first game, but we need to have another viable target to take the heat off Buddy. Davis is a very good contested mark and set shot for goal, so can't be left alone. Xav Richards is another option here; he's been a bit of a revelation up forward the past month, but still think Davis offers more and is a better option for relief ruckman.

Aliir has been a standout in the reserves and based on form is ahead of Ted. We need more height in defence to counter the many tall options Geelong have and his pace should give us more counterattack. Not sure about Ted just yet. He did okay defensively, but didn't take the game on much, considering it was just the reserves.

I would love to upgrade Newman and play him in this game, but it's probably too many changes already, and the one he would most likely replace is Laidler. At some point in the next few weeks I would like to see this change. I like Laidler, but I can see this move happening as Newman offers more as an attacking defender, something I believe is needed to match up against the better sides these days.

PS: Worth noting that WB made 5 changes and beat us, including the man who kicked the winning goal, coming back from a 9 week injury break and no reserves games.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 4th July 2016 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Add PS

Ludwig dramatic changes ?

Why so many after such a close game ?

What I'd like to see:

In: Naismith, Papley, Richards
    Out: Sinclair, McGlynn, Rose

I suspect it will be Nankervis out instead of Sinclair though.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Only one change for me.
    In: Papley.
    Out: Either McGlynn, or if injured, Heeney.

Some would believe our reserves team is better than our senior team. The team need to be now set toward the finals lineup. I can see no more debutants for the rest of the year.

Anyone who thinks Naismith is up to AFL standard is dreamin!

Ins. Ted and Paps
    Outs. McGlynn Heeney

Changes for Rd 16 v Geelong

Laidler finished last week's game on the bench and was noticeably limping when he walked out to take part in the customary handshakes at the end. I assume his troublesome knee flared up again during the match. So with only a 6-day turnaround I suspect he must be in doubt.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast