Thread: Former reserves player, Brett Smith?

Former reserves player, Brett Smith?

Does anyone recall a Sydney Swans reserves player named Brett Smith? Sorry, no specific details. I think he would have played in the maybe late 1980s or early/mid 1990s.
    Might have been one of those guys invited to have a run with the ressies.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Does anyone recall a Sydney Swans reserves player named Brett Smith? Sorry, no specific details. I think he would have played in the maybe late 1980s or early/mid 1990s.
    Might have been one of those guys invited to have a run with the ressies.
    No. From around that era I recall Tony Smith (Former Sydney Swans AFL player Tony Smith charged over alleged unlawful detention of bank executive - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)), Greg Smith and Brett Scott. Sure you aren't conflating a few?
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    No. From around that era I recall Tony Smith, Greg Smith and Brett Scott. Sure you aren't conflating a few?
    Nope, I met someone who claims they're related to a Brett Smith who played some ressies games for the Swans.

Just wild about Harry
    It is possible. In the early-mid 80s there were a number of players who got reserves games but for whom there seems to be few records.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    It is possible. In the early-mid 80s there were a number of players who got reserves games but for whom there seems to be few records.
    Yeah, that's what I figured. I was wondering if anyone had any old Footy Records or team photos that might have listed him.
    Mostly curious. I'll have a look at my old Grand Final Footy records, as I remember until the early 90s they used to have pretty extensive team lists at the back pages.
    Cheers though

I have vague recollections of seeing his name in the record but there was a Brett Rose around the same time so I might be getting confused with him. I'll see if I can dig out an old record.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    I have vague recollections of seeing his name in the record but there was a Brett Rose around the same time so I might be getting confused with him. I'll see if I can dig out an old record.
    We did draft Brett Rose in 1997.

In searching for Brett Smith I looked at our draft picks over the years (he is not there from 1991 onwards) and interesting to see how many rookies just never kick on. This said, our last 5 or so years have been productive, specially 2012. Can I assume that is down to Kinnear Beatson, his team plus the Swans structure of bringing players on?

I helped out with a lot of old jumper numbers a few years ago and there is a list of them somewhere on RWO. I can clearly remember a Brett Smith around 1990 and was number 50 from memory. He played in an era when basically anyone from NSW who knew what AFL was had a run in the reserves and under 19s.
    I FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEED!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge.maverick View Post
    I helped out with a lot of old jumper numbers a few years ago and there is a list of them somewhere on RWO. I can clearly remember a Brett Smith around 1990 and was number 50 from memory. He played in an era when basically anyone from NSW who knew what AFL was had a run in the reserves and under 19s.
    Good memory.

Number Player Start Year End Year Years
    50 Brett Smith 1989 1989 1

RWO - RedAndWhiteOnline.com

Awesome! Thanks guys. Next question, does anyone have a team photo from 1989 they could scan?