Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final Quarter / The Australian Dream (AG documentaries) and related discussion

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Throughout the discussion on the upcoming The Final Quarter, there has been mention of a second documentary addressing the Goodes situation. Some details have been released today. It's a venture between Goodes himself and Stan Grant. Grant was instrumental in trying to keep the conversation going after Goodes bowed out of the public spotlight.

"The Australian Dream", which is the name of this second film, was a tag Grant used frequently in the articles he wrote and speeches he gave. Unlike The Final Quarter, which relies purely on archival footage, this film features Adam reflecting now on what he went through. There are some more details, including a very brief trailer, in the SMH article below.

The film itself will open the Melbourne Film Festival in August.

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...29-p51sgh.html
    That one looks fantastic.....Stan Grant is a great journalist. I'm looking forward to both doco's and I'm glad they have been made.

Senior Player

Blog Entries

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Magnificent article! Thanks for posting neilfws!

Just love this bit:

"Goodes’s role in attempting to make Australia a more educated and tolerant country will be remembered long after all the marks, kicks, and tackles have been forgotten."

I'm so glad that what happened to Goodesy isn't "just going away" and that the people who made our champ leave the game the way he did might - just might - actually think about what they said and did.

I had a tear in my eye just looking at the trailer. I'm going to be a blubbering mess when I watch the film.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Magnificent article! Thanks for posting neilfws!

Just love this bit:

"Goodes’s role in attempting to make Australia a more educated and tolerant country will be remembered long after all the marks, kicks, and tackles have been forgotten."

I'm so glad that what happened to Goodesy isn't "just going away" and that the people who made our champ leave the game the way he did might - just might - actually think about what they said and did.
    Doubt it. Hawthorn supporters I have spoken to are unrepentant. Have a friend on Facebook from Perth and some comments on there show that they too are the same. One idiot posted that he is the dirtiest player he had seen. Obviously hasn't watched much footy. Hhmm, choke, choke, cough, cough.......John Worsfold anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Doubt it. Hawthorn supporters I have spoken to are unrepentant. Have a friend on Facebook from Perth and some comments on there show that they too are the same. One idiot posted that he is the dirtiest player he had seen. Obviously hasn't watched much footy. Hhmm, choke, choke, cough, cough.......John Worsfold anyone.
    It's amazing what mental gymnastics people are capable of performing when they're racists but know they have to pretend (to themselves and others) that they're not.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Great articles both: The Guardian revue and the Trailer for the doco.

Thanks neilfws and ScottH.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veteran Site Admin
    There is a raft of articles in the Fairfax papers (SMH, Age) yesterday and today addressing the two films, but mostly the impact that The Final Quarter has had on people who have seen it. I believe the same articles are in both papers. The links below are a mixture because after accessing the first in the SMH I realised that I am close to my limit of free articles I can access in that paper and so switched to the Age.

The are all pretty different so it's worth reading them all. One is Des Headland reflecting on his response to the film, his thoughts about Goodes and about the racism he and his family have encountered. Two are from Jake Niall but are different. One focuses mostly on issues around making the film - specifically Alan Jones' refusal to allow media footage of him to be used in the film. And the final one, written by Wu, recounts McVeigh's thoughts on the film and echoes comments made from Franklin (that surprised me when I read them) that even the players who were playing alongside Goodes at the time weren't fully aware of the heft of negative commentary that was directing towards Goodes, nor of the impact it was having on him.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/wat...30-p51ssf.html

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...30-p51syv.html

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...30-p51swy.html

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...30-p51sxs.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Perhaps you should post this for your Hawthorn acquaintances.

“(Brian) Lake, who won three premierships with Hawthorn, was banned from playing footy at all levels after receiving a two-match ban for striking in a local Victorian competition during Caroline Springs’ win over Sunshine on Saturday.
    The penalty saw him fall foul of the national registration policy, which rules any player who racks up 16 weeks worth of suspensions in their career is unable to play football at any level.”

Brian Lake banned from football for life, AFL 2019

Warming the Bench
    I heard the Dan Sultan and Paul Kelly song Everyday My Mothers Voice about Adam Goodes we should all buy this and make it the number one song.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There is a raft of articles in the Fairfax papers (SMH, Age) yesterday and today addressing the two films, but mostly the impact that The Final Quarter has had on people who have seen it. I believe the same articles are in both papers. The links below are a mixture because after accessing the first in the SMH I realised that I am close to my limit of free articles I can access in that paper and so switched to the Age.

The are all pretty different so it's worth reading them all. One is Des Headland reflecting on his response to the film, his thoughts about Goodes and about the racism he and his family have encountered. Two are from Jake Niall but are different. One focuses mostly on issues around making the film - specifically Alan Jones' refusal to allow media footage of him to be used in the film. And the final one, written by Wu, recounts McVeigh's thoughts on the film and echoes comments made from Franklin (that surprised me when I read them) that even the players who were playing alongside Goodes at the time weren't fully aware of the heft of negative commentary that was directing towards Goodes, nor of the impact it was having on him.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/wat...30-p51ssf.html

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...30-p51syv.html

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...30-p51swy.html

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...30-p51sxs.html
    I'm STILL very angry that, other than Lewis Jetta, no indigenous players stood up and said something... Des Headland included.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast