Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: whatever happened to....?

whatever happened to....?

Things are a bit slow on this forum, so I thought I might be able to rattle the cage with this thread.
    You probably all know of someone who used to be prominent in our footy and is now doing something interesting that we would like to know about.
    I saw LEIGH FORSYTH on TV last week. He used to be coach of Wollongong when they joined Premier division, and he was on TV as a manager in the Customs Department that susses out dodgy stuff and dodgy people trying to get through.
    CRAIG MOLLER was a junior, I think from the Southern Highlands somewhere. I think he played a bit with Campbelltown before moving to Sydney Uni and being drafted by the Freo Dockers. Seems he didn't get a game at Freo, and last weekend he debuted with Sydney Kings basketball.

who can YOU update us about ?

A school teacher named Des Hasler played a bit of footy out at Bensons in the 80s. Not sure where he ended up.

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    Things are a bit slow on this forum, so I thought I might be able to rattle the cage with this thread.
    You probably all know of someone who used to be prominent in our footy and is now doing something interesting that we would like to know about.
    I saw LEIGH FORSYTH on TV last week. He used to be coach of Wollongong when they joined Premier division, and he was on TV as a manager in the Customs Department that susses out dodgy stuff and dodgy people trying to get through.
    CRAIG MOLLER was a junior, I think from the Southern Highlands somewhere. I think he played a bit with Campbelltown before moving to Sydney Uni and being drafted by the Freo Dockers. Seems he didn't get a game at Freo, and last weekend he debuted with Sydney Kings basketball.

who can YOU update us about ?
    Craig Moller played for Cronulla JAFC then moved to Balmain U19s for one season then Sydney Uni. He played one senior game for Freo 2 seasons ago when they rested half their team just before finals. He got delisted at the end of 2015 and based on his successful junior basketball career has been picked up by the Kings mid-season.

Where did Dean Capobianco go? Played against him when he suited up for UNSW/ES in the early 2000s. Knew his way around a paddock. Fast.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    Craig Moller played for Cronulla JAFC then moved to Balmain U19s for one season then Sydney Uni. He played one senior game for Freo 2 seasons ago when they rested half their team just before finals. He got delisted at the end of 2015 and based on his successful junior basketball career has been picked up by the Kings mid-season.
    Beat me to it Andrew
    Carn the Southern Power.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Where did Dean Capobianco go? Played against him when he suited up for UNSW/ES in the early 2000s. Knew his way around a paddock. Fast.
    Injected himself well into games......

Mug Punter will be beside himself when he reads this one !!!!!!!!!!!! Student, get ready.............

18 Lachlan Kilpatrick (Sydney Uni)

This rugby convert�s transition into the game of Australian Rules has been nothing short of meteoric.
    Born and raised in Sydney, Kilpatrick took up the game in his late teens and was nominated for AFL Sydney�s Rising Star Award as a 16-year-old.
    He has already won three premierships, including the Rod Podbury Medal for best-on-ground in the 2013 AFL Sydney Grand Final, and the former Manly Warringah midfielder has played 11 games for the Swans� NEAFL side through Sydney�s academy program.
    Kilpatrick moved to Melbourne to join the Northern Blues last year where he featured in the VFL in the backend of the season, but the 22-year-old has now returned home where he will slot nicely into the Sydney University midfield.

Mug Punter will be beside himself when he reads this one !!!!!!!!!!!! Student, get ready.............

This rugby convert�s transition into the game of Australian Rules has been nothing short of meteoric.
    Born and raised in Sydney, Kilpatrick took up the game in his late teens and was nominated for AFL Sydney�s Rising Star Award as a 16-year-old.
    He has already won three premierships, including the Rod Podbury Medal for best-on-ground in the 2013 AFL Sydney Grand Final, and the former Manly Warringah midfielder has played 11 games for the Swans� NEAFL side through Sydney�s academy program.
    Kilpatrick moved to Melbourne to join the Northern Blues last year where he featured in the VFL in the backend of the season, but the 22-year-old has now returned home where he will slot nicely into the Sydney University midfield.
    Very good justabaraker, I know humour isn't your strong suit but I chuckled there.....

No doubt at all that Kilpatrick should be playing NEAFL and to be honest if I was a young gun player I'd probably lean towards Sydney Uni where you're part of the elite program rather than just a toppie at the Swans or Giants. And it's great kids don't have to go to Melbourne now to be a part of top level footy and Sydney Uni are doing a great job there filling that third alternate pathway (this is not and never has been an anti Uni rant)

It's just stating a fact that when you have the best 5-6 juniors going to the Sydney Uni pathway every year that that club will, within 3-4 years, be stacked to the rafters in PD as well with junior players that have gone through the pathway at district clubs. And I think we'll start to see Sydney Uni start to challenge for the PD title pretty soon, and once they get there they'll have such an advantage talent wise that they'll be like they are in the rugby.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe the kids when they drop out of NEAFL will go back to their junior club but somehow I don't think so.

We all got out knickers in a knot a few years ago (and rightly so) about Uni raiding the SFL clubs to get their U18 program up and running and I thought that the pathway system was introduced to regulate that. Well now they have just circumvented that via their NEAFL Program.

Good for Sydney Uni but is it good for Sydney Football?

It would be criminal if this guy's nickname was not Oysters....

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    It would be criminal if this guy's nickname was not Oysters....
    Writes itself

Roger Moten has been a part-time Assistant Coach with the GIANTS' NEAFL team for the past three seasons and in 2016 steps up to a full-time role as a Development Coach.

Moten has vast coaching experience in the AFL Sydney competition and has, in the past two seasons, coached the AFL Sydney representative team.

Previous to this he coaches Sydney University in their first NEAFL season in 2012.

- See more at: Roger Moten - GWSGIANTS.com.au

Regular in the Side
    I can't see why a development officer who has already committed to coaching in the SydneyAFL would not be permitted to cover both roles this year. That's unless...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast