Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Captaincy 2017 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Is it a problem that our captains had minimal impact in the club's best and fairest this year? Kizza scraped in at 10th and Macca didn't feature in the top 10. Macca has injury as an excuse but his form has been ordinary - even Tom Harley acknowledged so much when he specifically commented that a lot of Macca's value is in directing the play. I don't think you have to have your best player as captain but as a rule you want a captain to lead with their actions and not just their pointing/directing the play. It would probably be too precipitate to dump both of them but I think it might be time for Macca to step back and someone else to take his place, mostly because he is older than Kizza and his form is more questionable. Who the replacement might be, is a tough call. I think it would have to come from the leadership group but there are a few possibilities and none of them is standing out to me as being the perfect one for right now although any of them might well do a great job.

Do others agree it is time for change? Any thoughts on who the new captain should be or if we should only have a single captain? Anyone reckon we should change them both? I'm pretty sure somebody else has already suggested that Macca should be replaced as captain but I don't remember who it was and anyway I figured might be worth having a thread devoted to this topic.
    A great thread to start, and a great start to the thread. I wish you guys wouldn't keep on making comments that get me thinking more and more - lots of interesting comments, thanks.

For me, I recall Macca's game against Carlton, second week of the finals in 2013; thinks weren't going our way, Macca stood up with a BOG performance, it was 40+ possessions and a determined brilliance which showed his experience and strength of will to a remarkable degree. Surely must be one of the best games he's ever played.

Where I find myself agreeing that it is probably time for Macca to relinquish the captaincy is that I don't think he influences games with his actions these days as much as he has in the past. As others have said, influencing a game by directing is one thing, and it's surely got its value, but it's a lesser value when it's not so strongly backed up by the captain's value as a player. As has been suggested, I think it is time for Macca to step back from captaincy and earn his spot in the team on his merits as a player. If he were to do that at the end of this season, I think we'd all acknowledge him as having made a tremendous contribution to the club. If he retains the captaincy but continues a slow decline, he risks tarnishing his legacy.

As to who should replace him, I think the comments have been well made: it's not always the best players/leaders who want or could handle the formal demands of the captaincy role. Otherwise, for me it would be Buddy or Joey.

For quite a while already, Parker has been seen as suited to captaincy, and I'd be inclined that way.

Still, the club will know aspects of character and leadership that we can't access, so it rests with them. I do hope, though, that Macca and the club see it as the right time for him to step aside, so that we can celebrate his years as captain without wishing they were over.

We need to find the next kirk/maxfield.

Blog Entries
    Give it to a Heeney and/or Mills.
    It will help keep them at the club.

JPK
    Then pass it down to Mills in 4-5 years

I'm surprised so many people are suggesting JPK. He doesn't strike me as captaincy material. Yes, he's our best player but captaincy is about people management skills. You have to be able to understand, motivate, coach, coordinate and inspire your teammates. Joey just doesn't seem to be that kind of guy to me.

I'd go for Parker. Not sure about Hannebery. Buddy would be a brilliant captain, but I think he would hate it and would knock it back if offered.

Heeney looks likely in a few years to me.

Often the right choice is someone who is not that noticeable from the outside.

Warming the Bench
    Jack and McVeigh have been very good players but have failed to consistently produce big games in GF's.

I think Josh Kennedy is the natural captains selection as he is without peer in terms of GF performances. Parker for a traditional VC with the knowledge that he needs to take the next step on the big stage to gain the captaincy in a couple of years.

If Parker does not step up, I would nominate Heeney or Mill's to leapfrog him depending on who is the most dominant force in the next 2-3 years.

Spread the media committments around the leadership group to give the captain / VC a break.

On the leadship group, we have a few great Generals in the backline (Smith, Reg and Rampe). I am not sure Franklin is a great at on the fly structure, so I would nomiate that Sam Reid has to step up in this area.

Did Macca speak at the B&F? If not, should we read anything into it? e.g. he's going to step back from the captaincy now

Buddy is a natural leader and an inevitable future Swans captain.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by tlock View Post
    Buddy is a natural leader and an inevitable future Swans captain.
    I think Buddy is the guy that every player is in awe of with his freakish ability. The young players would hang off his every word. But structures, on field direction of others and media I don't think are his strong points. Kennedy for me is a much more rounded Captain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Yeah, I'm thinking JPK, then Parker or Mills down the track. Go with a captain/vice captain set up again, I think the co-captains thing is past it use by date, having a leadership group covers that, so Kennedy (c) and Parker (vc) sounds good to me. KJ might be pissed though.....Macca should understand.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    ...KJ might be pissed though.....Macca should understand.
    I think Keiran would initially hate the idea but I think it would be best for his footy. I'm not sure what his plans are post footy, but it would be a great story if he stayed in NSW player development or coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goods78 View Post
    I think Buddy is the guy that every player is in awe of with his freakish ability. The young players would hang off his every word. But structures, on field direction of others and media I don't think are his strong points. Kennedy for me is a much more rounded Captain.
    I read or heard somewhere recently that Buddy is considered the 'footballers footballer', analysing tactics and set up etc. Spends a lot of time dissecting the game.
    Surprised me, and the person reporting it was also surprised.
    Doesn't mean he is great at conveying messages to other players and driving home inspirational talks etc
    Same with Kennedy. I see him as someone who goes about his game, and seems happier just to quietly get done what needs to be done.
    But what the hell do I know, I don't know either of them, so it's just all guessing.

As I said earlier, the club are the only ones who can and should identify players to promote.
    My only stance is that it is dangerous to keep a player on as captain if there is a risk that his form may hold him out of the team (McVeigh)
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast