Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 30

Thread: Players names on jumpers

  1. #13
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,498
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I hope they dropped it for sensible reasons (ie players too far away for crowd/tv to read) rather than a BS "tradition" reason.
    Indeed those were the reasons: No names on jumpers, just numbers, says AFL - AFL.com.au

    I was at the SCG for the round 5 2014 game and my recollection is that names were generally not easy to read. I don't much care one way or the other but if it adds little or nothing, why bother.

  2. #14
    Seems lack of sleeves is the major blocker for names on jumpers.

    It it time to introduce the sleeve, or is the tank-top design steeped in tradition and another sacred cow not to be slaughtered ?

    BTW, when did the tank-top first become common place ?
    Answer seems to be widespread adoption in 1960's. Sleeveless designs came and went depending on club for many years before that.

  3. #15
    I think the sleeveless jumper makes it easier to mark overhead.

  4. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    I think the sleeveless jumper makes it easier to mark overhead.
    Quite possibly with 18th century fabrics, but with todays fabrics which stretch and are breathable, its no longer an issue.
    A few players still wear long sleeves, and galic and international rules players have short sleeves.
    Cricket players, especially bowlers have high arm extension, yet have never had tank-tops.

    I quite like the cut of the International rules style jumpers. But I'm by no means a traditionalist.

  5. #17
    On the veteran's list
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Swans Heartland
    Posts
    1,865
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Why is it BS to have names on jumpers? Seems a reasonable thing to me. Clubs may prefer to have the space used to produce revenue, but that's the only possible argument against the suggestion.
    And American BS?? Ever looked at 50 and 20 over cricket, internationally btw, and not an American team in sight.
    As far as tradition is concerned..home teams used to wear black shorts and away teams white..only two reserves and once used they stayed on etc etc ...every game used to be sat arvo...no night games..one captain per team...etc etc...
    Limited overs "cricket" just followed American trends. Why do you think Kerry Packer called his mangling of the game "World Series Cricket"? And why do we need pre game and half time entertainment at the Grand Final? - because the yanks have it! If anybody needs that at the GF then they shouldn't be there.

    Can't see why people need names when a number is fine. Seems part of the "must have it now, can't be bothered thinking" attitude which is destroying traditional sport. I dare say we will see forty minute AFL matches at some stage, since it appears anything beyond an an hour is a bridge too far for many people.

  6. #18
    Carpe Noctem CureTheSane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Knoxfield, Victoria
    Posts
    5,032
    The "we shouldn't do it because America does" argument is pretty silly to me.
    Who really cares?
    So far the only arguments that have been put forward are
    tradition - yep, you can pretty much dismiss that given all the changes that have been made to the comp. Compared to expansion, away jumpers, number of players on the bench, etc, a name on the back of the jumper just doesn't measure up.
    too hard to read - of course it is when you're at the game, but as I said before, for the last 10 years, the AFL is TV centric. They forced me to get Foxtel to be able to see the games, and as a Melbourne based fan, watch the majority of games on the screen.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

  7. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Limited overs "cricket" just followed American trends. Why do you think Kerry Packer called his mangling of the game "World Series Cricket"? And why do we need pre game and half time entertainment at the Grand Final? - because the yanks have it! If anybody needs that at the GF then they shouldn't be there.

    Can't see why people need names when a number is fine. Seems part of the "must have it now, can't be bothered thinking" attitude which is destroying traditional sport. I dare say we will see forty minute AFL matches at some stage, since it appears anything beyond an an hour is a bridge too far for many people.
    I agree with everything you say, except that they are bad things. All these things are good things, and a reduction in time of the game wouldnt hurt in my opinion. We need to remove 20 minutes off the game duration somehow. I'd knock a couple of minutes off each quarter, and reduce quarter time breaks to a 3 minute time to change ends and very brief pep talk.

  8. #20
    pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast NSW, Costa Lantana
    Posts
    6,856
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    ... And why do we need pre game and half time entertainment at the Grand Final? - because the yanks have it! If anybody needs that at the GF then they shouldn't be there.
    Absobloodylutely!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

  9. #21
    On the veteran's list
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Swans Heartland
    Posts
    1,865
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I agree with everything you say, except that they are bad things. All these things are good things, and a reduction in time of the game wouldnt hurt in my opinion. We need to remove 20 minutes off the game duration somehow. I'd knock a couple of minutes off each quarter, and reduce quarter time breaks to a 3 minute time to change ends and very brief pep talk.
    Why do we need to reduce it by 20 minutes?

    And today's test match thriller shows why it is really the only form of cricket that MATTERS,.

  10. #22
    Carpe Noctem CureTheSane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Knoxfield, Victoria
    Posts
    5,032
    A test match is made a point of being thrilling as these times are so few and far between.
    Then just last night it came down to the last ball in the Big Bash.
    Only 10 minutes ago we had a 6 over the roof and out of the ground.
    Test matches are finite IMO, let alone the opinions of the millennials...

    Having said that, I see no reason for a reduction in AFL match time.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

  11. #23
    On the veteran's list
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Swans Heartland
    Posts
    1,865
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    A test match is made a point of being thrilling as these times are so few and far between.
    Then just last night it came down to the last ball in the Big Bash.
    Only 10 minutes ago we had a 6 over the roof and out of the ground.
    Test matches are finite IMO, let alone the opinions of the millennials...

    Having said that, I see no reason for a reduction in AFL match time.
    The Big Bash is meaningless titilation where the results are forgotten a week after the game. Comparing them to test matches is a bit like comparing a one night stand with a marriage or long term relationship.

  12. #24
    Carpe Noctem CureTheSane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Knoxfield, Victoria
    Posts
    5,032
    I liken my marriage to the Big Bash

    One Dayers have already been reduced due to 20/20.
    I'd say that they will die off first.
    Tests will take a lot longer - probably generational.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO