Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Match Day. Round 1 Sydney V Port Adelaide SCG. 4.35pm.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I tipped Adelaide, at home.......and no anti-Giants prejudice involved! Laughing a little bit right now.
    Also thought Crows would win. GWS - what a bunch of prima-donna's & down-hill skier's.
    (Not laughing though - until we beat them Rnd 5.)

Quite a few upsets this round.

Adelaide (the city) 2 v Sydney (the city) 0

Could be a very unpredictable season. I know its early but I reckon Essendon could be a bolter. Its like a weak, but relatively competitive team just got 15 gun mature age recruits!

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Quite a few upsets this round.

Adelaide (the city) 2 v Sydney (the city) 0

Could be a very unpredictable season. I know its early but I reckon Essendon could be a bolter. Its like a weak, but relatively competitive team just got 15 gun mature age recruits!
    Actually Adelaide (the city) 3 - the Crows AFLW team won the women's grand final yesterday. So everyone in Adelaide is happy this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Actually Adelaide (the city) 3 - the Crows AFLW team won the women's grand final yesterday. So everyone in Adelaide is happy this weekend!
    I'm in Adelaide and I'm not happy!!

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Haha! Sorry!

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Some time late in the second quarter. Not totally sure when and how it happened, but he came out after half time with it strapped.
    There was a relatively innocuous collision with a Port player that appear to collect him right on the socket, unfortunately. I saw him grab for it straight away after the knock- it was a recurring injury in my youth and I ended up with a reconstruction, I felt a twinge of sympathy pain in my own shoulder for Dan.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I work in Adelaide one week in every 4 and the office there is crows centric - I'm the lone non crow out of about 25 people - they are very tolerant of my footy preference (for now, though come round 22 that will be different!!) and one if my main clients there is a power supporter - he's going to give me hell tomorrow - thank god I'm back in Sydney so as he can't come and see me to rub it in, but the emails will be relentless!!!!(I now owe him a very good bottle of red!!)

After watching the replay I'm not as concerned as I was at first. The difference in the teams was work rate. We were beaten by weight of numbers at the contest and they were able to keep up the pressure till the end. We simply will have to get back to our usual pressure footy and we should be okay.

As for individual players, the main under-performers (based on usual expectations) were Grundy, Smith and Hannebery. Towers played a typical Towers game as has been noted by many.

I thought Foote made a good effort and will be better for the experience. It's only his second game. If he can learn to make better decisions under pressure he should be okay.

I thought we looked better when Mills and Lloyd spent time in the midfield. Lloyd has the game to play anywhere, but Mills would be a major contributor if played in the midfield. He's very damaging with ball in hand. With Robinson injured, Mills should be moved to the midfield next game.

Marsh played well. He got plenty of the ball and generally made good decisions. It's taken him time, but it looks like he's come through.

This was probably the most Hewett has played through the midfield at senior level. It was foreshadowed by his midfield appearances in the JLT. I thought he was one of our better performers and looks ready to take his game to another level this year. He led the team in tackles and was second in both contested possessions and clearances.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    There was a relatively innocuous collision with a Port player that appear to collect him right on the socket, unfortunately. I saw him grab for it straight away after the knock- it was a recurring injury in my youth and I ended up with a reconstruction, I felt a twinge of sympathy pain in my own shoulder for Dan.
    Yes, I also felt a bit sorry for him. While I haven't seen any confirmation of how bad the injury is, the look on his face suggested that it was serious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    I work in Adelaide one week in every 4 and the office there is crows centric - I'm the lone non crow out of about 25 people - they are very tolerant of my footy preference (for now, though come round 22 that will be different!!) and one if my main clients there is a power supporter - he's going to give me hell tomorrow - thank god I'm back in Sydney so as he can't come and see me to rub it in, but the emails will be relentless!!!!(I now owe him a very good bottle of red!!)
    Damn! And many people in Adelaide, do know the difference between a good bottle of red and a mediocre bottle of red.

Well JLT form for Swans has not stood up at all with North, GWS and Saints all well beaten - hopefully Saturday has woken our guys to what is required this year

Quote Originally Posted by 56-14 View Post
    Also thought Crows would win. GWS - what a bunch of prima-donna's & down-hill skier's.
    (Not laughing though - until we beat them Rnd 5.)
    They did not look interested, at least we tried.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier was a telling stat in the Footy Record last night - in 2016 we had the second worst kicking efficiency in the League. That showed last night too when our disposal was appalling.

I'll wait until Week 6 till I write us off but for mine that was a very worrying effort. I can easily see us being 2-4 or worse, right now I'd take 2-4 given the draw.

Aliir will help our structure and in hindsight I am glad he didn't play because he wouldn't have changed the result.

We are not in a position to make huge changes but I think the following will make a difference

* Aliir at FB with Reg at CHB. I'd release Mills into the Midfield with Melican coming into our back 6 as well.
    * I'd look at either Hayward or Edwards into the half forward line, probably Edwards as I just think Hayward needs 6-8 NEAFLK games first.

Out would be Robbo (injury), Foote and Towers with Cunningham very very lucky to keep his spot.

I know some people say injuries don't matter and that all clubs have them but that really is a silly statement at this stage of the season. We had Papley, Rohan, Aliir, Heeney and McVeigh out of our best 22 when most clubs only have a couple. We should have had enough quality to still win but those inclusions will help.

Papley in particular was really missed in terms of our structures, I am starting to fear that we will never really solve the riddle of how to accommodate Buddy and Tippett in our best 22.

I genuinely think having Lurch as a ruckman who just pinch hits in the forward line from time to time is the only way forward. That means having Naismith rotating off the bench but I still think you need two ruckmen but at least one of them needs a second string, which Tippett certainly does. It's why I think Darcy Cameron will be a very good player for us as he has a good strong mark on him and plays well as a forward

Senior Player
    Well...not the first poor opening round showing I've ever seen. Positives: Buddy tearing it up and how good to see Reid kicking goals again. Those really were about the only 2 positives weren't they.

Just terrible kicking out of the 50, but that can be addressed. Let's see how they go next week after a good hard review and the normal post-game routines and training. And hopefully a couple of better selections will be available sooner rather than later in the season.

Hannebery is worrying, don't know if it's injury or lack of match fitness but he was just left for dead by almost every opponent last night.

Not panicking yet, but a disappointing first outing.