Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day. Round 1 Sydney V Port Adelaide SCG. 4.35pm.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There's a bit of Chicken Licken on this site tonight. Can we at least wait until Easter before completely writing the season off?
    Sorry......nup! Our depth is very shallow.

Warming the Bench
    Agree with most of the posters here re the very ordinary player performances with the exception of Reid and Lance.

Now for Longmire. For how many seasons have we not had a wet weather game plan.......or do we have one and the players decide to ignore it (can't figure out which is worse)? The number of times in the second half we had tall players down the line, and we elected to go corridor to a player under pressure - it drives me up the wall.

If I was coach I would have had the property steward stopping every player as they came back in the dressing rooms and recording their choice of stops in their boots. I can't understand why this is such a taboo subject. If the review shows your not keeping your feet and you choose in the second half not to wear the long stops, I would expect a please explain from the player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by goods78 View Post

Now for Longmire. For how many seasons have we not had a wet weather game plan.......or do we have one and the players decide to ignore it (can't figure out which is worse)? The number of times in the second half we had tall players down the line, and we elected to go corridor to a player under pressure - it drives me up the wall.

If I was coach I would have had the property steward stopping every player as they came back in the dressing rooms and recording their choice of stops in their boots. I can't understand why this is such a taboo subject. If the review shows your not keeping your feet and you choose in the second half not to wear the long stops, I would expect a please explain from the player.

We were a terrible wet weather team under Rocket and a worse one under Roos. But since Longmire took over, our record's not that bad. And we've had a lot of practice in recent seasons. We played three JLC pre-season games in various varieties of wet weather, winning two and narrowly losing the other. We won the majority (if not all - I can't be bothered to check) of our wet weather games in season 2016. I no longer think that's the issue.

What is the issue is that the bottom half dozen or so of the team tonight is very inexperienced and/or not really good enough. It was the same last year and we were fortunate that our injury record was pretty reasonable. The younger players did OK last year because the senior players played consistently well. Longmire knows how important this is. He stated over and over again last season, when journos congratulated him on how the youngsters were going, that the key was the consistently good form of his best players. If the trio of Kennedy, Parker and Hannebery plays, collectively, at the level they did tonight, the team's going to struggle, regardless of when we get the likes of Heeney, AA and Rohan back. I think they've posted a sufficient body of work over the last few seasons to suggest that we can reasonable expect them to improve.

No ones mentioned it yet, but we got smashed in the contest... and this is our first game without Tom Mitchell. We used to have too many slow inside mids, but perhaps now we have too few.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    No ones mentioned it yet, but we got smashed in the contest... and this is our first game without Tom Mitchell. We used to have too many slow inside mids, but perhaps now we have too few.
    Game high 37 disposals in a losing team tonight. Not a bad start with a new club!

Warming the Bench
    We were a terrible wet weather team under Rocket and a worse one under Roos. But since Longmire took over, our record's not that bad. And we've had a lot of practice in recent seasons. We played three JLC pre-season games in various varieties of wet weather, winning two and narrowly losing the other. We won the majority (if not all - I can't be bothered to check) of our wet weather games in season 2016. I no longer think that's the issue....
    We have been a great team over many years but we come back to the pack in the wet more than we should for a gun contested team.

I watched Longmire at the 3/4 break and his routine did not change at all. 85% of the break was shuffling player names on the whiteboard. Net result was Rampe in to the middle. Give them a rev up, long down the line, lock it in our forward 50! It's not Rocket science (no pun intended)!

...... because the senior players played consistently well. Longmire knows how important this is. He stated over and over again last season, when journos congratulated him on how the youngsters were going, that the key was the consistently good form of his best players.
    I agree totally with this. I would argue that this has been happening for the last 2-3 maybe 4 years. I suppose we will find out in the next few weeks if we've worn them out or not. Hanners, Parks, Joey, Buddy and KJ can't carry us forever.

I watched the game on replay.
    what I took from it was that PA were able to find a target and make great position in tight situations to be able to extract the contested ball.
    It also highlighted some of our fringe players, or depth players who were on the field tonight.

The only way is up

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Towers and Foote are not up it. We know this about Towers; it's very frustrating he keeps playing. He shouldn't play again. Including Robinson and Cunningham, we had four players who are not desperate, hard or smart enough. Robinson is slow and doesn't chase.

The defence also looked slow. Laidler, who I like, is past his best and Melican should have been given a go ahead of him. Mills and Smith were unusually bad.

Most concerning, for me, was the performances of Parker and Hannebery. They (also!) looked slow and hobbled. Parker was frustrated. Tippett was terrible; looks shot of confidence.

Buddy and Reid excellent; Joey good; Jones pretty good.

The quickness and intelligence of Heeney and Aliir are very important to us. Only Aliir back next week, so we need to roll the dice on some reserves.
    Agree with most of this.
    Perhaps Foote is the one from your post I'd be able to find most promise in.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Just reading the Stats, did anyone notice how many tackles KJ and Hanners got together?

[QUOTE=mcs;719203]Just home after a disappointing trip up the highway. I will comment more tomorrow but in summary port were consistently leading us to the ball all day and thoroughly deserve the win. Only other thoughts for tonight are our bottom six were dreadful and showed our issue with depth, i just don't get towers, and welcome back sammy reid - him and buddy were our best two on thr field i thought.

Itll get nasty next week if we play like that against the 21 man fairypuppies.

MCS, I was making the point that this is the most even competition since 1997. With the exception of GWS, there are probably 13 teams who could beat each other on any given day. Look at other results. Dons beat the Hawks, Melbourne beat St Kilda, Collingwood went close against the premiers.

The Swans simply got beaten by a strong middle team and these teams will take games off each other all year. Analysis of this season requires a wholistic view of the competition rather than just analysing Swan player performances. The Swans will probably win a maximum of 14 or 15 games this season and still make top 4. You just need to get on board for an exciting ride.

I can't comment on player performances as I have not watched the replay.

I was really surprised how we slipped and fell over all game. Mills fumbled the ball a lot and Towers and Cunningham should never play seniors again - they were both deplorable with no skill, no hardness at the ball or the player.

Hanners - what happened he couldn't get into the game at all. Smith and Laidler were both very loose and fumbled the ball.

Plus we were smashed at the centre bounces and Port were just too strong.

Very disappointing effort and until we get some more players back we will struggle to compete.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast