Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Rnd. 3 Sydney V Collingwood. 7.50pm SCG

Quote Originally Posted by WauchopeAnalyst View Post
    After watching Freo playing attacking footy, we are DONE, COOKED. Lyon allowed his young players to play footy, spread EARLY, 6 hand passes along the wing, centred to CFH and goal.

Longmire is the last of the dinosaurs. Defensive, percentage, reactive footy will lose most times.

LYON has left the 'defensive' building......

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    I think time is needed to make a true judgement on that - old habits die hard, even for Ross. The game is most certainly changing, and not in a way that is helping our preferred style of footy stay relevant.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I think time is needed to make a true judgement on that - old habits die hard, even for Ross. The game is most certainly changing, and not in a way that is helping our preferred style of footy stay relevant.
    Nicely worded, if thats a word, worded....

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonsteinman View Post
    No doubt he played on, as in he stepped off his line. However, the umpire did not call play on until after the bloke standing the mark had tackled him. This is clear from the down the ground replay.

So in my opinion, it should have been a 50, but I'd have settled for the ump re-setting the mark.
    I've watched this incident a few times on the match highlights - it comes right at the start of Q4 - and I think Jones was dudded. He is running forward with the flight of the ball, marks it, then takes two short pulling-up steps which are obviously (to me, anyway) not playing-on steps but a way to avoid any possible injury from pulling up abruptly. He then puts his hand out as if to say, "Let's be clear I'm not playing on" and steps back to his mark and in doing so gets jumped. I can understand that people were ropable.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I've watched this incident a few times on the match highlights - it comes right at the start of Q4 - and I think Jones was dudded. He is running forward with the flight of the ball, marks it, then takes two short pulling-up steps which are obviously (to me, anyway) not playing-on steps but a way to avoid any possible injury from pulling up abruptly. He then puts his hand out as if to say, "Let's be clear I'm not playing on" and steps back to his mark and in doing so gets jumped. I can understand that people were ropable.
    I think Jones clearly moved off his line, but did either umpire call play on before the Pies player went over the mark? It's not up to the player to judge if Jones played on - it's the umpire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goods78 View Post
    I think Jones clearly moved off his line, but did either umpire call play on before the Pies player went over the mark? It's not up to the player to judge if Jones played on - it's the umpire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have to agree (unfortunately). If you watch the video for the spot where he originally lands, so where his mark is, he goes back to that after his initial pulling-up steps and the umpire in front of him blows the whistle for the mark. Jones then takes two steps off the mark to play on and is tackled. It must have been the umpire behind him who made the 'play-on' call (you can see Jones looking backwards remonstrating with that umpire). But it is not clear (from the highlights video) if the umpire's 'play-on' call was made BEFORE the tackle.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Hmm. OK, I see what you are saying, goods78 and Meg, including the comments you both make about the umpire's call. On reflection I think what surprised me is that what Jones did you can see a dozen times a game without a whistle intervening. In any case I hope Jones learns from it; better to find out now than in a GF!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    I actually enjoyed that game. Don't feel we got shafted by the umps like we did last week and last year. We were on the wrong side of a close one but should have been 6-7 goals down at qtr time.

Foote and Sinclair the villains for me too. Foote made a terrible show of himself on the oreilly wing and turned it over for a goal. Just wasn't hard enough at the ball.

Sinclair likewise was moving like treacle with no intensity to close down the ball. I assumed he was cooked and his legs wouldn't get him there but he was tucking for the next 5 or so minutes. Marking aside, he's just not intense enough in our system.

Tonight was a game we should have won that says we'll likely struggle to have a real impact this year as we have two tough games to follow. Loads of key players to come back but the main thing is sadly experience for the years to come.
    This is how I saw it. After a putrid first quarter, it was actually a pretty fair effort and quite an enjoyable game (to the extent that losing to the Pies by a point can be enjoyable). The umpiring was fine (though there were a few decisions at key moments that seemed to hurt us), it was a million times better than last week. What I don't understand about the umpiring was that the AFL assured us that all of last week's decisions were correct, but we could have been watching a different sport on Friday night. No wonder fans get cranky.

Horse clearly chose to go in with an extremely young team so I assume he was all right with the result - let's hope that the return of some of the stars has the desired consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Hmm. On reflection I think what surprised me is that what Jones did you can see a dozen times a game without a whistle intervening. In any case I hope Jones learns from it; better to find out now than in a GF!
    I agree on both those points!

Suns leading Hawthorn by 26 points at half time. By the end of this round we could be jostling with Hawthorn (and North) for bottom of the ladder. Even I can see some perverse humour in that.

Anyway, go Gold Coast!

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Suns leading Hawthorn by 26 points at half time. By the end of this round we could be jostling with Hawthorn (and North) for bottom of the ladder. Even I can see some perverse humour in that.

Anyway, go Gold Coast!
    Meg - Was thinking the same thing - imagine Sydney v. Hawks or Kangas being billed as the "Battle for the Spoon" !

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by 56-14 View Post
    Meg - Was thinking the same thing - imagine Sydney v. Hawks or Kangas being billed as the "Battle for the Spoon" !
    If my memory is right I last saw this comment in 2005!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

Anyway, go Gold Coast!
    Part of me likes the fact that the competition is even. No games by any club can be taken for granted. The Swans and Hawks won't win the wooden spoon but it could be a 8-10 win only season for the Swans or Hawks. There are too many good midrange teams like Port, Melbourne and Essendon and some solid lower ranked teams like Carlton, The Suns and Freemantle who will win some games.