Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Changes for Round 4 - West Coast

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    We have replaced Naismith at 206cm with Papley at 177cm. Tom is only 29cm shorter than Naismith with I guess shorter arms as well so I am thinking he may struggle a little with his ruck duties
    Bold move from Horse, hopefully it pays off

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Was just told that Jeffrey is one of the umpires. Let's see how he can screw us over this time!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Why doesn't Horse just give the umps a tingle and find out what is the Rule du jour, as other clubs have done?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Why doesn't Horse just give the umps a tingle and find out what is the Rule du jour, as other clubs have done?

Rule du jour in the West or for everyone??

Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    Such a young team, pressure is off so time for the kids to give it a crack! Games like this one you find out what the next generation of players is made of. Fringe players like Cunningham, Sinclair and Foote have a chance to prove us all wrong.

I think I'll enjoy this season much more when we're no longer a top 4 possibility
    It's a luxury of sorts that we rarely have, the opportunity to experiment because the odds of winning are low enough so some strategic thinking can be put into action. Like the rest of us, I'm not happy that things have gone poorly for us so early in the season, but at least Longmire is using the adversity to gain some long term advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

Clearly this is why Horse likes having a full stable of rucks. If Ludwig were in charge we would be recalling Towers purely for his rucking ability. Ludwig just doesn't take rucking seriously which is why he's such a Tdx fan. What a bummer for Cameron just when he would almost certainly have got a jumper.
    The ruckman is a solitary position, so if the ruckman is a central part of the game plan and something goes wrong, as it has, and all too often does, then there is very little that can be done to fix it. It's not like losing a midfielder, where there are plenty on the list to fill the role. There are enough examples of teams playing just as well without a recognised ruckman as with one. When Port Adelaide had to play Jackson Trengove in the ruck last year, they lost the hitouts, but they had more overall success moving the ball forward and created more scoring opportunities. The Bulldogs have often played with makeshift ruckmen.

I actually do think that the best position for Towers is a ruckman. He can make a contest in the ruck by making up for his height with his jumping ability and breaks away from the congestion well. It's a shame his decision making is so poor. Perhaps the simplicity of the ruck role could be his salvation.

Liz commented that Edwards' kicking wasn't all that flash, something I hadn't noticed. But he would be another player I would consider for contesting in the ruck for generally the reasons as with Towers.

One has to look beyond the ruck contests and determine how a player effects the overall performance of the team. Once a stoppage is over there's a lot of footy going on and it is valid to ask whether the team would be better served by having an extra midfielder on the ground instead of a lumbering ruckman, especially one that can't take a mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Yes, it seems to be fashionable not to contest the ruck on occasion. Apparently Sandilands got so confused when no one went up against him one time he punched the ball OOB and gave away a free kick.

Couldn't do it every time though or even the dumbest ruck opponent would get the hang of punching the ball halfway to the goal square.
    Its coaches taking advantage of a number of rule changes . You will notice that teams are sometimes going with no ruckmen when the ball up is close to their goal . Its pretty smart when you think about :
    1. You cant punch through for a behind as it will be deliberate
    2. If you take the ball the small person nominated will tackle you immediately and they will get a free kick in front of goal
    3. If you hit towards the boundary you will be called deliberate and get a free kick within range of goal
    4. If they hit to a player , they will either be wrapped up quickly in the congestion and be called for holding the ball or they wiill drop it and leave it at the mercy of the attacking team getting hold of it.

Therefore you ruckmen has very limited options :
    1. Smash it forward with the likelihood that the attacking team will have set up around the fifty for the ball coming out
    2. Hit it down and give it to a player under pressure who will kick it out under pressure to that same ring of attacking players.

This is why the AFL has to stop tinkering with the rules. While it may be deliberate on the part of the ruckman to smash it through it is not a tactic that could be used to keep rushing behinds and should be carved out from the deliberate rule , that way it will force the attacking team to contest the ruck as otherwise it will result in a behind that will enable the defensive team to reset and clear up the play. As with every rule change the smart coaches have worked out how to manipulate it so that now it is effectively no advantage to have a ruckman contesting near their defensive goal.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Grundy at 192cm.
    I never realised that Grundy was that tall.
    Doesn't look it.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Surely this tactic has little to do with no third man up?

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Surely this tactic has little to do with no third man up?
    It's more that the other ruckman will know that no one has nominated to ruck opposite him and that he can do anything he wants (grab the ball out of the ruck, punch the ball to clear it etc)

Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    It's more that the other ruckman will know that no one has nominated to ruck opposite him and that he can do anything he wants (grab the ball out of the ruck, punch the ball to clear it etc)
    Sorry I meant the tactic outlined by Mr Magoo of teams not contesting the ruck if it's close to their goal.

Warming the Bench
    Umpires Scott Jeffery and Nick Foot are from Tasmania and Jeff Dalgleish is from WA although, as someone already mentioned he has a purple halo.

The game is not shown on FTA in Melbourne but will be on Foxtel. I would think it is being shown on FTA in WA can anyone confirm?

A loud, feral crowd with TV coverage in WA but not in Melbourne.

We're going in with only 1 ruckman - who can't catch a ball. The WCE's are going in with their 3rd ruckman.

Cunningham back in - WTF. If it's his job to tag Psycho Sammy - I can think of better options eg BJ or KJ

As much as I like Papley I have to wonder how much of a risk it is without much of a pre-season and no match fitness. Let's hope he can channel Cyril Rioli.

Sam Reid is going to have a very busy night; playing CHF, backup Ruckman and going back in defence because the free kick count will be 31-12 by the end.

I just hope the team has trained for the new HTB and prior opportunity rules - after so much discussion about it.

Some how, I'm looking forward to it and hoping we'll find a way to win.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415