Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Changes for Round 5 - GWS

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    This issue aren't new for Allir, it's popped up regularly for him during his NEAFL career. It wasn't such a noticeable issue when he played his first AFL games last year, I suspect this was due to the fact he was regularly marking the 3rd best forward and/or the resting ruckman on the opposition team. Without Rampe in this year, he's been asked to take the next best forward and I think this deficiency in his game has been more glaring as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    I thought we'd put the Hack name to bed forever? Captain of the club, premiership player and all round champ. Deserves more respect
    Sorry. That's my bad. I withdraw the name...

However I would like to express my concern at how much the game appears to have gone past our former co-captains and for how much longer they'll deserve a place in the team on merit?

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Not too surprised by Aliir's omission, he impressed a lot of people last year but he still has a few deficiencies in his game to iron out.

I thought we'd put the Hack name to bed forever? Captain of the club, premiership player and all round champ. Deserves more respect
    I agree

Jack Hacker played 111 games for South Melbourne.

Was only 173 cm tall, but played in the ruck.

Nickname: McJack

Several commentators in the Melbourne footy media have been shocked by the dropping of Alir. Perhaps he is more highly rated outside the club than inside it? The current backline is a worry for me going into this game. If the GWS give reasonable service to their forwards then we are in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Several commentators in the Melbourne footy media have been shocked by the dropping of Alir. Perhaps he is more highly rated outside the club than inside it? The current backline is a worry for me going into this game. If the GWS give reasonable service to their forwards then we are in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think it probably says more about the media than Aliir. They rarely see past Buddy and a few injuries. And, increasingly, Heeney.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    This issue aren't new for Allir, it's popped up regularly for him during his NEAFL career. It wasn't such a noticeable issue when he played his first AFL games last year, I suspect this was due to the fact he was regularly marking the 3rd best forward and/or the resting ruckman on the opposition team. Without Rampe in this year, he's been asked to take the next best forward and I think this deficiency in his game has been more glaring as a result.
    I thought he was super against the Pies. One short kick to a contest was a poor decision but otherwise I thought his game was exemplary, defensively as well as offensively. But he had a poor game against West Coast, and didn't get his timing right (nor were his disposals as sure as they normally are).

I think people tend to forget he's still a very inexperienced player at senior level. It's to be expected that he'll have down games. I was a little surprised he was dropped this week, especially given the height of the Giants' forward line, but I also trust that the coaches know what they are doing to develop him into a long term, quality senior player.

I wonder also if he's carrying a niggle that they don't want to expose to senior footy. As I noted on Tuesday, he didn't train with the main group but rather spent the session running very slowly around the boundary. It's not unusual for players to not train fully in the first session of the week but still be right for the next weekend. Indeed, he did more than Buddy and was running alongside Lloyd. But it might also be a factor, especially given his interrupted pre-season.

Veterans List
    A win tonight would be somewhat of a bonus given the start we've had and the return of probably underdone players.

So maybe some of the selections/non selections are with a view to the longer term, opening our account next week but then playing a better brand of footy to end up square or in positive territory at the bye. The week off before the finals has changed the landscape, top four is no longer necessary to win the flag so we are more relaxed about our positioning despite the horror start.

BTW, if you're a betting man, reckon we'll be over $3 to make the eight if we lose tonight :-)

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I thought he was super against the Pies. One short kick to a contest was a poor decision but otherwise I thought his game was exemplary, defensively as well as offensively. But he had a poor game against West Coast, and didn't get his timing right (nor were his disposals as sure as they normally are).

I think people tend to forget he's still a very inexperienced player at senior level. It's to be expected that he'll have down games. I was a little surprised he was dropped this week, especially given the height of the Giants' forward line, but I also trust that the coaches know what they are doing to develop him into a long term, quality senior player.

I wonder also if he's carrying a niggle that they don't want to expose to senior footy. As I noted on Tuesday, he didn't train with the main group but rather spent the session running very slowly around the boundary. It's not unusual for players to not train fully in the first session of the week but still be right for the next weekend. Indeed, he did more than Buddy and was running alongside Lloyd. But it might also be a factor, especially given his interrupted pre-season.
    Perhaps he's feeling the effects still from the LeCras bump. Which I'm surprised he didn't get a week for. Maybe he has a concussion from it.

I think it probably says more about the media than Aliir. They rarely see past Buddy and a few injuries. And, increasingly, Heeney.
    Nailed it!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213