Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Round 4: Sydney Swans Reserves v Giants @ SCG

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Wow. Only 12 hitouts for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Wow. Only 12 hitouts for the game.
    Maze was our number one ruck for most of the game and he gave away significant weight advantage to Simpson and Flynn. Cameron also sat out the last quarter.

Regular in the Side
    Free kicks 14-28 against us versus 26-17 for us in the AFL. Are the umpires trying to even up the contests? Can't ignore BJ's stats, at least he gets plenty of it even if he butchers it. That would at least be a start in the firsts. Cameron did not do a lot in his three quarters. Maybe not enough to replace Sinclair who does need replacing. Hard to judge as UWS had so many toppies but there is scope for four or five changes against Carlton.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Watched the last three quarters.

Edwards looked imposing every time he touched it, quick first few steps and evasive. Sometimes wonky disposal, but also did some good things.

Florent was a little disappointing; I was hoping he'd find a bit more of it, but he didn't. Certainly classy (and quick) but I think he's got a decent NEAFL apprenticeship ahead of him.

I thought Aliir looked better as the game went on, but Giants didn't kick well into the forward 50. Talia was OK, Maibaum looks and plays rugged.

I like Rose, took some good marks inside forward 50, but still gets caught with it and turns it over from time to time.

O'Riordan's speed and hardness are senior standard. I like Pink, he's quick for a big man and smart.
    I agree with all you say. Especially about Toby pink. he is a really good player in the making. boy is he gonna be something when he builds up. he is so composed and can hit a target. His goal kicking is pretty good too. Manages to get into open space because he works so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Free kicks 14-28 against us versus 26-17 for us in the AFL. Are the umpires trying to even up the contests? Can't ignore BJ's stats, at least he gets plenty of it even if he butchers it. That would at least be a start in the firsts. Cameron did not do a lot in his three quarters. Maybe not enough to replace Sinclair who does need replacing. Hard to judge as UWS had so many toppies but there is scope for four or five changes against Carlton.
    Every time BJ actually manages to hit a player the players get around him. He does it so little. Of his 35 I reckon he managed to hit the player 1/3 of the time. Well under 50% were to advantage. If he ever manages to tidy that up he might be a good player. But until then he is a NEAFL player. Cameron didn't really have three quarters. He seemed to spend long periods on the pine even when he was playing. I'd say he only played way less than half the 120 minutes. i'd say about 45 minutes.

The players who impressed me were;

Murray, Edwards, Newman, O'Riordan, Talia, Aliir (second half only), Pink, Rose, Fisher, Laidler, Dawson. Of those only Newman, Talia, Aliir, Laidler, Rose & Dawson can be picked unless we put one of the seniors on the long term injury list. Maybe time for Hannas to have his knee scraping. Kizza, Foote & Smithy reg too I reckon) to go to the reserves to get form. Give this year a miss we aren't going to make it anyway because the coaches have no idea how to stop the holding on Parker and Kennedy and the umpies are not going to penalise the opposition. What's more all our set ups are old and tired and Horse has no new plan. Don't know what the coaches did in the off season but I don't think they even bothered with strategy. someone said bring in Shaw to coach. To tell the truth you could dofar worse. he seems to have an idea what turns a game on it's head. UWS were getting on top in the third quarter and Rhyce changed a few match ups, got players to release to the opposite side and the game turned back. Very good. Horse can't seem to do the same. Shaw also had the runner out to Aliir to tell him he was standing too far off his opponent because after that Aliir was much tighter.

If we want to beat the teams who berat us up maybe we could get a few of their assistants. Henry & Stewie have probably been here a bit too long. Time for a change.

Sydney v GIANTS

10: Brandon Jack (Sydney)
    7: Nic Newman (Sydney)
    7: Jeremy Finlayson (Giants)
    2: Daniel Lloyd (Giants)
    2: Jordan Dawson (Sydney)
    1: James Rose (Sydney)
    1: Sam Murray (Sydney)

NEAFL MVP LEADERBOARD

23: Jordan Keras (Southport)
    19: Adam Sambono (NT Thunder)
    17: Brandon Jack (Sydney)
    16: Lewis Stevenson (Sydney University)
    14: Archie Smith (Brisbane)
    13: Reece Toye (Aspley)
    13: Matt Payne (Aspley)
    12: Matt Rawlinson (Sydney University)
    11: Kade Klemke (Canberra)

NEAFL GOALKICKING LEADERBOARD

14: Darren Ewing (NT Thunder)
    13: Zach Sproule (Giants)
    11: Adam Sambono (NT Thunder)
    11: Damien Bonney (Sydney University)
    10: James Rose (Sydney)
    10: Matt Hammelmann (Brisbane)
    9: Matt Fowler (Southport)

I just noticed that Darcy Baron-Hay has got this week's NEAFL Rising Star nomination, playing for Sydney Uni. Good for him and I hope that he keeps improving, as I suspect that he's still on the Swans' radar.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    If we want to beat the teams who berat us up maybe we could get a few of their assistants. Henry & Stewie have probably been here a bit too long. Time for a change.

That's more like it wolftone! You're getting with the program. Things are not so dire we need to turf our highly impressive senior coach (I realise you wouldn't go that far yourself). Just an injection of fresh ideas and modern thinking. I reckon Scott Camporeale would be a great get but can't see him being lured to Sydney. You got any better suggestions?

Senior Player
    Anyword on Ben Ronke?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345