Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 6 - CARLTON

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    It would appear that there is going to be minimal changes for this week. I think that with K.Jack out they will bring in Rose though I would like to see Newman brought in with Mills moved into the centre.
    Maybe... and if only one change, I vote Newman. Horse has been unusually tricky at selection this year and pulled the odd unexpected surprise. Maybe he's giving the players in the team one last chance (they have mostly had five) to prove themselves before he starts swinging the axe.

I reckon no debutants this week.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

Strong words, liz! And I agree. I thought Rose had numerous defensive lapses on the weekend and so I haven't been calling for his return like others on the back of his classy goals etc.
    There was one other incident involving Rose that irritated me on Saturday. I do like watching him. He has a few tricks (though he can also make the simple look hard at times). But there was a passage sometime in the 3rd quarter where the Swans made a quick break out of defence and whoever had the ball was streaming through the middle of the ground at full pace. The forward 50 had been deserted but both Rose and Pink got on their bikes as soon as they saw what was unfolding and ran back hard towards goal. They separated. Pink got very deep and in the central corridor while Rose was a bit wider and shallower. Pink had a defender closer than Rose, who was in a lot of space, but both provided a good forward target. Whoever had the ball (and I can't remember who it was), picked Pink and delivered well. Pink took the mark and scored from close range with the resultant kick. All good and well. Both players did well, and Rose running to different space was important. But while all the other Swans who had reached the vicinity of the forward line ran over to Pink to congratulate him (which is the team norm most of the time whenever a goal is kicked), Rose stayed where he was, barely 20m away. His body language suggested he was sulking because the kicker had gone to Pink rather than him.

I noticed that in the 4th quarter, when Rose kicked his final goal, Pink did make the effort to run out and congratulate him, despite being farther away.

It may be a small thing. Maybe I'm being hard on Rose. But I did wonder if he's more focussed on his own individual contribution than the overall performance of the team. That assessment isn't purely based on that one incident. He does have a tendency to ping at goals when he's in range, without obviously looking to see whether there is a better option. And I can understand that a player who thinks he might be on the cusp of a senior spot would be eager to demonstrate to the coaches what he can do. I just wish he'd sometimes focus more on what he can do in terms of chasing and tackling, and not just on taking speccies or kicking clever goals (and wayward behinds).

Regular in the Side
    Well from the training photos today it is obvious Newman and Rose did not go to Darwin and are in the mix. Not sure who Melican was kicking to in the photo. Number looked like 35 but did not look like Naismith. Might have been 33, BJ with a haircut and cap on. Very limited and blurry photos. Could see Franklin, Melican, Rohan, Reid, Parker, Rampe (with arm guard) and Ronke.

Veteran Site Admin
    I think that was Jack (33).

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Melican looks like he's kicking to Grundy, who's been known to wear a cap at training.

I just looked up players heights; as reported by Swans.

Johnson is 194
    Allir 193
    Grundy and Talia 192
    Marsh 189
    Newman and Rampe 188

And how tall is Melican?

Hmm looks like Marsh did his hammy today and they're going to have to fly Laidler back from the NT

IN BJack Laidler Newman
    OUT KJack (hip) Foote Marsh (hamstring)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Hmm looks like Marsh did his hammy today and they're going to have to fly Laidler back from the NT

IN BJack Laidler Newman
    OUT KJack (hip) Foote Marsh (hamstring)
    Wondered how you got Laidler wrong cos you are never wrong

In: A.Silvagni, B.Smedts, N.Graham, M.Kreuzer
    Out: C.Polson, H.Macreadie (managed), A.Phillips, J.Pickett

Emg: M.Talia J.Foote J.Rose
    Emg: D.Cuningham L.Jones D.Armfield

Jack for Jack has a neatness to it. I hope BJ can be put on tackling duty and provide what his brother used to around the ball.

Glad to see Foote out Newman in. Would have preferred Aliir to Laidler but I'm prepared to be patient. Hayward stays in ????

Melican 194
    Maibaum 193

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast