Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
Yes. This is right. The Giants are unusual in that they have 3 really big forwards, all difficult matchups for one reason or another. It was a tough on Marsh to get the Cameron matchup and I wouldn't judge his performance this year on last week.

I think once Aliir does manage to get his senior recall, we can play with 3 tall defenders, because both Melican and Aliir can both play on medium sized forwards as well as KPFs. I think a setup with Grundy or Talia, Aliir and Melican works best for most opponents. The question will be what happens to Marsh once Rampe returns, because I think Newman will hold his spot once he's back which will make for a bit of a squeeze in the back line.

I was a bit surprised about the comments on Rose. I wonder if his ostensibly poor defensive performance was a one off or not. I have always thought of Rose a good defensive pressure player. I suppose that's why he didn't get into the Best votes last week. It will be interesting to see if either Rose or BJ get a call up this week. As an opposition coach, I'd let BJ get all the possession he could because he uses the footy so poorly.

I would be really disappointed if Sinclair got another game. His one good moment Saturday, which was his mark and goal, was made possible because Heeney got between Cal and his defender, and the ball would have gone through Cal's hands if not for Heeney stopping it by putting his own hand on the back of the ball as it was coming through Cal's hands.
I didn't notice that about Sinclair's memorable contested mark and goal. I thought it was a sign of progress! It's not going to spoil my weekend if Sinclair doesn't play, but I think Horse is reluctant to only play one ruckman and no one else is fit.

Last year we played two tall defenders plus Rampe, who was able to play on a taller player like Cameron. Seems they see Melican as a better option than Aliir for 2nd tall defender. But the 3rd defender (Rampe) role; if they were experimenting with Marsh in that role on Saturday v GWS it was an absolute failure. I would imagine as soon as they can sort Aliir's "issues" out he'll be a better option than Marsh. He certainly offers a lot more offensively. Or have I missed something?

Does this mean longer term there's one spot in the team for Aliir / Melican to fight over? Particularly once Rampe comes back.