Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Round 15: Sydney Swans Reserves v Gold Coast Suns Reserves @ SCG

Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    wow those sinclair stats...
    In the ruck or kicking goals?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Good to see O'Riordan back in the Famous Five.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

and Fisher, once again in the 5 best players - not given a placing in the votes as it seems to be expected of him

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It can be more difficult finding the best role for your best players than deciding what to do with your marginal players. I think this is the case with Rampe. He's very good in many different roles. I can understand those who prefer to use him as a key defender, because he's very good at it and can play tall or small. At his moment in time I feel we have a number of good tall and medium defenders in the reserves. Aliir, Marsh and Laidler are all capable of playing senior footy.

I feel we can improve in 2 areas: Finding betting outlets from our defence to reduce repeat entries by the opposition and finding better options when kicking into our forward 50.

I prefer Rampe being used more as an offensive weapon as well as a loose man in defence, which gives him more latitude to follow the ball and intercept marks. There were teams that tagged him and tried to take him out of the play and I wouldn't be surprised if we see this more often. Bringing Aliir in reduces the pressure on Rampe as Aliir takes some attention as well. He can't be left to do what he wants because he can damaging both running and kicking the ball.

This strategy also permits a player like Lloyd to spend more time in the midfield where he can use his good kicking and decision making to find targets closer to our goal. I like having Lloyd and Newman more forward because of their ability to pick targets in a good position to kick a goal. We have too many players that just like to kick it long to Buddy. We have a lot of good goal kicking midfielders like Parker, Heeney and Hewett and should use them more often.
    These betting outlets are pretty close to da fence.
    bettingring1.jpg

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    These betting outlets are pretty close to da fence.
    bettingring1.jpg
    Looks a bit like Warwick racecourse in England.

I think it's somewhere down south, not warwick. Did you ever play golf on the 9 hole course in the middle of Warwick racecourse ? (or did I just hallucinate that)

Veterans List
    I know raw stats don't always tell the correct tale but it's nice that this week the Best Players somewhat resembles the stats. Think it was Liz who said they were close to her observations watching the game.

I do get a bit annoyed when the "official" Best Players are at complete odds with what the stats and/or ressie watchers observe.

On a separate matter, whilst big wins are great, not sure how continuous easy wins assist players in developing to senior level. Here in SA, the Crows and Port reserves play in the SANFL and whilst they can be amongst the best few teams when they have very small injury lists and therefore a full team of listed players, most of the time they will be seriously challenged and often beaten by SANFL teams. Far better lead in to AFL standard.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    In the ruck or kicking goals?
    Around the ground, 20 disp, 9 tackles and 5 goals. Hard to say from paper how much ruck time he had for his 18 HO.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    NEAFL MVP

Sydney v Gold Coast

8: Jeremy Laidler (Sydney)
    8: Callum Sinclair (Sydney)
    6: James Rose (Sydney)
    4: Aliir Aliir (Sydney)
    3: Colin O�Riordan (Sydney)
    1: Dan Currie (Gold Coast)

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I know raw stats don't always tell the correct tale but it's nice that this week the Best Players somewhat resembles the stats. Think it was Liz who said they were close to her observations watching the game.

I do get a bit annoyed when the "official" Best Players are at complete odds with what the stats and/or ressie watchers observe.

On a separate matter, whilst big wins are great, not sure how continuous easy wins assist players in developing to senior level. Here in SA, the Crows and Port reserves play in the SANFL and whilst they can be amongst the best few teams when they have very small injury lists and therefore a full team of listed players, most of the time they will be seriously challenged and often beaten by SANFL teams. Far better lead in to AFL standard.
    Ok. Firstly our reserves side is top for a good reason. It is simply the best side by a long way and that includes the other three Reserves sides. Secondly. GWS are bottom of our comp, are Adelaide or Port that low? Thirdly Gold Coast are not even in the top 4 out of 10, currently sitting 5th. Last of all while Brisbane, a very strong team and they beat us in the first game, are sitting 2nd they are in a huge battle with Uni for second place and Uni have won 1 lost 1.

You are like almost everyone interstate underrating our reserves team. They are a super outfit. Nearly all of the players in this team would walk into a bottom AFL side now. Some of our Academy boys would easily get a game with the Lions. you are underestimating the coaching, players and support staff. you underestimate the drafting as it has been a super two years of drafting.

As to whether winning by big margins every week helps or hinders young players I am not sure. But when I was playing district footy we had an incredibly strong reserves team and they won by some really huge margins, in SA mind you. We won the premiership in the A grade, runner up in the B grade (they slipped at the final hurdle and lost by a point) and premiers in division 3 (division 3 won most of their games by over 10 goals). I believe if your depth is huge and they are winning by huge margins it can translate to the senior team if you have injuries. It did in the district comp and even though this is a different story it is still footy and ability and abuility to play the game style very well can only translate better if the players are doing it almost perfectly every week.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    I think it's somewhere down south, not warwick. Did you ever play golf on the 9 hole course in the middle of Warwick racecourse ? (or did I just hallucinate that)
    No, just went to the races there. The genuinely disappear out the back of the track.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345