Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Why do YOU support the Swans?

In answer to the new thread on why do you support the Swans, I thought that I'd revive this thread, as it contains plenty of answers to that question.

Veterans List
    Welcome Giulio, great story, loved it. Smart woman your Mum, no better club to support.

Speaking of Collingwood Giulio - POTY on BF Swans forum, the vs Norf thread. Someone posted a still pic of the moment Haywards elbow struck mouthguardless teeth.

POTY replies with "Collinwood have offered a three year contract" I couldn't stop laughing!

Veteran Site Admin
    I've turned it into a sticky so that it will always be visible. Some of these stories are ones that people like to visit and revisit.

And I've moved Giulio's story (and others' responses to it) to this thread so it, too, is kept for posterity.

Thanks for doing so Liz. Read through the entire thread & enjoyed everyone's backgrounds how they became a Swan. Loved Hotpotato's legendary story of his dad kicking footy across the Stuart Highway at 2:30am! Welcome Giulio!

Veterans List
    Post 32 of this thread; the great Rock Lobster. A previous RWO legend. The Lobster was in a league of his own.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    And with it BonBon and NobNob...
    I know BobBon. She is the daughter of one of my best mates and often goes to the footy with us.

AprilBR, BonBon is the daughter of the one and only John Natoli.
    Last edited by Nico; 9th March 2022 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Post 32 of this thread; the great Rock Lobster. A previous RWO legend. The Lobster was in a league of his own.

- - - Updated - - -

I know BobBon. She is the daughter of one of my best mates and often goes to the footy with us.

AprilBR, BonBon is the daughter of the one and only John Natoli.
    Its a small world, Nico!

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Welcome Giulio, great story, loved it. Smart woman your Mum, no better club to support.

Speaking of Collingwood Giulio - POTY on BF Swans forum, the vs Norf thread. Someone posted a still pic of the moment Haywards elbow struck mouthguardless teeth.

POTY replies with "Collinwood have offered a three year contract" I couldn't stop laughing!
    That's so funny, '707'. Performance bonuses for mullets, mohawks or tatoos? Double bonus for all three??

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Thanks all, for the warm reception of the training report. It's adds to my pleasure in sharing the news.

Incidentally, I am curious about we RWO posters' demographics. Yesterday someone said to me that they figured we were mostly 30-something year old men. I suspect it's true we are mostly male. I am a 47 year old male myself. I'm a father of two boys, the younger of whom has a slight interest in footy out of loyalty to me. However my suspicion is that most of us are older than our 30s and many of you are older than me. Some of you saw Skilton play, others fondly record Bedford and Teaser and Barry Round and Diesel, quite a lot of you seem to remember our teams of the 90s and 00s like it was yesterday. So, if you're comfortable to say, I'd be interested to know your age (even approximately) and gender.

I'd even be interested in just an anonymous poll of gender and age. I'm undecided about how much I like the anonymity of posting online.

bloodspirit aka Simon
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

I'm 58, Sydney-based, with two daughters, 19 and 15. The younger is a player, and has just completed year 10 at a Victorian school; as a result, she is even more immersed in AFL. I grew up playing rugby, and became a Swans member in 1999. The first game that season was Adam Goodes' debut against Port.

Senior Player
    Many thanks for the training update.
    I'm in the middle of cataract surgery which ahs robbed me of December, but hoping to see some January/February training. (And pass on reports).
    As far as age goes, I will say I was alive when the Roys won their last ever premiership.
    Been a bit cranky at Dad that he didn't carry me to the game, even tho I may not have known what was going on.
    (Just realised that my nick might help the age problem).

I watched Skilton at his peak in the '60s, every week as a teenager. I remember Ron Clegg as captain, though I never saw him play. I remember my first game at the Brunswick Street Oval, when we kicked 22 goals to knock off the Royboys with Skilts kicking 7, Frank Johnson 5 and Brian McGowan 3. I remember Dad talking about Freddy Goldsmith's Brownlow. The idea of a premiership was unthinkable, that was for the big nasty clubs. We contented ourselves with the occasional win, always buying the Sporting Globe when it happened, and rejoiced in the regular Brownlows. 2005 was the most emotional moment in my football life, and I am still prone to breaking down in tears when I see that moment: "Leo Barry you star!"

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    I watched Skilton at his peak in the '60s, every week as a teenager. I remember Ron Clegg as captain, though I never saw him play. I remember my first game at the Brunswick Street Oval, when we kicked 22 goals to knock off the Royboys with Skilts kicking 7, Frank Johnson 5 and Brian McGowan 3. I remember Dad talking about Freddy Goldsmith's Brownlow. The idea of a premiership was unthinkable, that was for the big nasty clubs. We contented ourselves with the occasional win, always buying the Sporting Globe when it happened, and rejoiced in the regular Brownlows. 2005 was the most emotional moment in my football life, and I am still prone to breaking down in tears when I see that moment: "Leo Barry you star!"
    I had a South jumper with Brian McGowan's number 3. Went to the opening of his milk bar in Albert Park/Middle Park. He ran this while he was a player.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast