Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Why do YOU support the Swans?

I love hearing these replies - thanks for taking the time. It's only a few but it does confirm my suspicion that there's plenty of you older than me. Certainly plenty of you that know a lot more about our club's history, and not because you are historians but because you were there!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

I'm a 59 male (about to turn 60). I live in Melbourne now but I grew up in Ballarat. The reason I follow the Swans is my father was a fanatic. He was born in 1933 and always used to say that they won a flag the year that he was born and they would win another the year he dies. Unfortunately, he was one year out as he passed in 2004. He would have been over the moon had he been around in 2005.

My childhood memories were of us regularly driving down from Ballarat to watch South Melbourne play in the 1970s. This was a mostly lean period for the Club with a few outstanding players like Bedford, Goss, Brice and Browning. 1977 was a particularly memorable season for me when we made the finals with players like Teasdale, Browning and Round featuring. As it got to the late 1970s and early 1980s, I was playing a lot of football myself for Redan in the Ballarat Football League so I did not see many live games. Of course, the Swans relocated to Sydney in 1982 and I enjoyed watching those Sunday afternoon TV games. Great memories, and I am so proud how the Club has blossomed following the Sydney relocation.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I'm a 59 male (about to turn 60). I live in Melbourne now but I grew up in Ballarat. The reason I follow the Swans is my father was a fanatic. He was born in 1933 and always used to say that they won a flag the year that he was born and they would win another the year he dies. Unfortunately, he was one year out as he passed in 2004. He would have been over the moon had he been around in 2005.

My childhood memories were of us regularly driving down from Ballarat to watch South Melbourne play in the 1970s. This was a mostly lean period for the Club with a few outstanding players like Bedford, Goss, Brice and Browning. 1977 was a particularly memorable season for me when we made the finals with players like Teasdale, Browning and Round featuring. As it got to the late 1970s and early 1980s, I was playing a lot of football myself for Redan in the Ballarat Football League so I did not see many live games. Of course, the Swans relocated to Sydney in 1982 and I enjoyed watching those Sunday afternoon TV games. Great memories, and I am so proud how the Club has blossomed following the Sydney relocation.
    Great story.

Warming the Bench
    I didn’t follow the football, though as a child I could remember being allowed to have a meal of tomato soup and Vegemite toast in front of the TV (never allowed to at any other time) watching Collingwood games on the TV.

My brother successfully raced in scrambles (now called Moto X) and later was Australian sidecar champion on sealed circuits and that was my passion.

My daughter was at primary school and realised everyone else had a team. She doesn’t like to follow the herd so she selected the Swans. We took her to her first game where we won by 1 point. I was hooked after that.

Have been to 1996, 2005, 2006 and 2014 grand finals. We joined the cheer squad for a couple of years, travelled to SA, SCG, and Geelong and trod the turf. We were members of Marvel Stadium when it was called Etihad, have been silver AFL members. However after racing back to the MCG whilst holidaying interstate in 2014 and experiencing the abuse directed to Goodesy, decided to give up attending matches.

Still a passionate supporter at the age of 66. Husband rolls his 👀 as I get vocal!

Best memory was staying at the team hotel for the 2005 grand final. Didn’t realise they were there until I heard a noise outside our room and saw Barry Hall walking past 😊
    Last edited by swannymum; 15th April 2023 at 03:06 PM.
    Last weekend in Sept 05 - The best weekend of my life!

Fantastic memories, swannymum! Love hearing your story. Thanks for sharing!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Blog Entries
    All of these stories really warm the heart

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I'm sorry your father didn't make it. I'm a little older than you, and one of my most cherished memories was seeing my father and two uncles watching the 05 grandfinal. Being there as these old taciturn guys cheared and the weaped at the victory was special.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011