Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Congratulations Buddy Franklin - Coleman Medalist!!

Veterans List
    What a lot of people miss with Buddy is that his presence attracts more than one player, and the focus on him opens up the forward for others to run into.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    What a lot of people miss with Buddy is that his presence attracts more than one player, and the focus on him opens up the forward for others to run into.
    Actually, I use the same logic for Tippett. When he (or Sam) play, it takes a tall defender's attention away from Bud allowing him to roam a little more freely. It also makes us a little less Buddy conscious as an avenue to goal (not that it was a problem last weekend)

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I can't wait until 2024 when the Swans celebrate 150 years of existence and hopefully name their best side of 150 years ... imagine a forwardline boasting Bob Pratt, Plugger Lockett, Buddy and Laurie Nash. Even Capper might have to admit there's no room in there for him!
    A decade ago you'd have thought that Hall would have been a lock in too

I can't wait until 2024 when the Swans celebrate 150 years of existence and hopefully name their best side of 150 years ... imagine a forwardline boasting Bob Pratt, Plugger Lockett, Buddy and Laurie Nash. Even Capper might have to admit there's no room in there for him!
    Also Micky O, Goodes forward ruck or mid? Big Baz get a look nearly 500 goals. This topic deserves its own thread.

Veterans List
    Up to 856 career goals now, keeps eclipsing former champs along the way. Has been an inspired signing, congrats to the very few involved in this coup!

Like a lot of bad boy image players who have come to us, Lockett, Hall, Shaw etc, Buddy is proving to be a model citizen. Worth every single cent we're paying him and is much loved by the short changed players!

On the red carpet:
    "You should be Captain of the All Australian team, you've been here often enough".

Buddy , self consciously :
    "No chance, I'll just go about my business."

I love Sellars - he's got such a dry sense of humour and he's probably the only one who could take this piss - he's after all been there himself. Buddy handled it well. But in all honesty he has put bums on seats at the SCG - he's been welcomed with open arms and we have embraced him. He's made going to the footy exciting again!!! Actually watching 360 I think buddy has just been presented with his Coleman medal!
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    I love Sellars - he's got such a dry sense of humour and he's probably the only one who could take this piss - he's after all been there himself. Buddy handled it well. But in all honesty he has put bums on seats at the SCG - he's been welcomed with open arms and we have embraced him. He's made going to the footy exciting again!!! Actually watching 360 I think buddy has just been presented with his Coleman medal!
    Thought it pretty poor not to see Buddy being presented the Colean Medal

Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    Thought it pretty poor not to see Buddy being presented the Colean Medal
    I agree with this sentiment.

What this thread needs is a few easy links to Buddy highlights.

Find your faves and post them here.

If you've got eight minutes, this compilation includes a lot of this year's highlights plus more. We are so lucky to have this guy in red and white. All through his career, he has been getting better every year. I'm not sure he's hit his peak yet. He could very well win us a flag this year with something outrageous on the big day (with a lot of help, of course).

Go Buddy.

Buddy Franklin 'Legendary' 2017 - YouTube

This is a good topic and does deserve its own thread. Thanks for mentioning Laurie Nash. I didn't really know much about him and so googled and found this on Wikipedia (footnotes omitted):

Nash was a superbly fit athlete who never smoked, drank rarely, and dedicated himself to a punishing exercise regime; something rare in 1930s sports circles.
    Legendary Richmond Football Club player and coach Jack Dyer asserted that Nash was "Inch for inch, pound for pound, the greatest player in the history of Australian Rules",[197] adding "He was the only man I knew who could bite off more than he could chew and chew it."
    In the view of champion Collingwood full-forward Gordon Coventry, whose record of 1299 VFL career goals between 1920 and 1937 would not be surpassed for 62 years, if Nash had played at full-forward for his entire career, he would have kicked more goals than anyone, Coventry included. In 1936 Coventry stated that Nash was the best player he had seen; "No player is more versatile, for he can play anywhere. He is fast, has great control of the ball, kicks with either foot and has that little bit of "devil" so essential in the makeup of a champion of to-day."
    Fellow footballer Vic Richardson wrote in 1968 that Nash "was faster than any player I have seen in getting the ball moving to players running on. Add his high marking ability and speed to his quick thinking and you had a player who practically originated today's style of play and one who would be unbeatable at it."
    In retirement, Nash was asked why he never won a Brownlow Medal (the award for the Best and Fairest player in the VFL). He replied, "I was never the best and fairest but I reckon I might have been the worst and dirtiest. I played it hard and tough."

Sounds like he was the player with a bit of mongrel and was also awesomely good. Perhaps not better known because he didn't play all that long and didn't win Brownlows and B&Fs.

It's fascinating to speculate about the new players who would make the 150 year team - and who would have to make way for them! It's difficult to do too when most of them played long before our time and we have to make do with reading about them.

I meant to say too that the Swans' best 22 of all time would have to rate well compared to other teams' all time bests, wouldn't you say?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast