Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: All Australian

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I couldn't be bothered with the AA this year, underwhelmed about the very mediocre seats in the Trumper we ended up with for Saturday
    week, while some blow-ins will no doubt be sitting in our choice seats in the Brewongle. This club membership thing, it's a bit of a
    racket sometimes. Besides, Alex Rance, he's not even captain of his own team. Watched this show on the ABC called "Utopia" instead.
    It was pretty funny actually.
    Utopia took preference for me as well KT. Didn't miss watching AA. Selwood a protected species in selectors' eyes I reckon.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Hardly. No-one is a smokey, given that Dusty managed to get through the H&A season without getting himself suspended. I think he'll smash the record for the most votes ever.
    You just never know. The best and fairest gets lost a bit, I think. This is why I can't stand the bleating from St. Jobe. Sure, Dusty does have form with Brownlow votes, but it comes down to the umpire's discretion. While he doesn't seem to be the demonstrative type, there is the (slightest) possibility that he rubs the umps up the wrong way, and doesn't poll the votes everyone has him pegged for.
    C'mon Chels!

Senior Player
    Rance is good, but way overrated here in Melbourne.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    You just never know. The best and fairest gets lost a bit, I think. This is why I can't stand the bleating from St. Jobe. Sure, Dusty does have form with Brownlow votes, but it comes down to the umpire's discretion. While he doesn't seem to be the demonstrative type, there is the (slightest) possibility that he rubs the umps up the wrong way, and doesn't poll the votes everyone has him pegged for.
    Sure, he may "only" poll 30 or so votes, rather than the 35+ that some are predicting. But I can't see any other player other than maybe the ineligible Dangerfield getting close to 25 votes. Someone like Mitchell gets a lot of the ball but he does so unobtrusively, and in any case, Hawthorn were dreadful in quite a few of their games, which will impact him getting maximum votes even where he was the busiest player on the ground.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    kZM8YAe.png

Tough gig every year to do the selections. Both Luke and Josh weren't at their regular high level all season, but neither was Joel this year.

The above doesn't show clearances;
    Selwood 6.3 per game (114 total)
    Kennedy 6.9 per game (131 total)
    Parker 6.4 per game (140 total)
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Senior Player
    Good to see the winners of the really important statistical categories, like Frees For, being rewarded with AA selection.
    And where is GWS' version of JPK, Callan Ward (592 disposals, 146 clearances)? didn't even get a mention in the 40.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    kZM8YAe.png

Tough gig every year to do the selections. Both Luke and Josh weren't at their regular high level all season, but neither was Joel this year.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Good to see the winners of the really important statistical categories, like Frees For, being rewarded with AA selection.
    And where is GWS' version of JPK, Callan Ward (592 disposals, 146 clearances)? didn't even get a mention in the 40.
    Yes, I was just going to point out, that the only stat that Selwood was in front was Frees For, but you beat me to it.

Veterans List
    Selwood gets as many free kicks as he takes marks!

How the hell do you play against someone who has more than 10% of his disposals from free kicks?

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Selwood gets as many free kicks as he takes marks!

How the hell do you play against someone who has more than 10% of his disposals from free kicks?
    And those free kicks count as contested possessions too

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    kZM8YAe.png

Cheers for that. I reckon Parker stood out as BOG in more games than Joey, particularly in the last couple of months. Suspect he'll finish higher in the Brownlow as a result.

Regular in the Side
    Thanks Stellation for these stats ... on this analysis JPK probably deserved that bench spot ... an eye opener that Josh gets very few free kicks while the Sellwood stats are inflated by them ... and it would be interesting to see (not that I question his bravery) how many are of the "here I am catch me high after I very neatly duck my head type at exactly the right moment type" which Kennedy NEVER does. The bravery thing is way overstated ... anyone prepared to say he is braver than Kennedy?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Sure, he may "only" poll 30 or so votes, rather than the 35+ that some are predicting. But I can't see any other player other than maybe the ineligible Dangerfield getting close to 25 votes. Someone like Mitchell gets a lot of the ball but he does so unobtrusively, and in any case, Hawthorn were dreadful in quite a few of their games, which will impact him getting maximum votes even where he was the busiest player on the ground.
    Fair. It's a slow week, just trying to generate some discussion
    C'mon Chels!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast